pre website development

Hi guys,

Ok I have a question that I think will be answered.  I have chosen to develop a website covering a specific topic.  For instance...for the sake of the matter... let's say that I am developing a website on skateboarding. So I have lots of ideas for my website. The first is developing a community of people who enjoy skateboarding.  Other ideas for the site include...

an area where skateboarders can upload videos and chat with expert skateboarders

an area that lists all the best skateboarding parks in an area and competitions

a classified section that allows people to buy/sell skateboard equip, apparel, tickets, ect.

a job posting area allowing employers to post jobs relating to skateboarding

an area that lists high stakes competitions in skateboarding

and many more ideas...

My question ...is it best to have a website that contains all these ideas within one website or would it be better to create individual websites and directly focus on specific topic within skateboarding.  I'm sort of torn between trying to install everything i can think of about skateboarding into one website or breaking it up into a couple websites.  For instance, I would create a website that is just a classified system where people bough, sold and exchanged skateboarding equipment.  I would also have a website that specifically lists all of the skateboarding events in an area, ticket information, prize fund, ect.

so it would look something like ...www.myskateboardingcommunity.com and www.myskateboardclassifieds.com, www.myskateboardingcomps.com

I think you understand what Im getting at.   I was thinking about this because I see so many sites out there that are directed not only at a certain niche but a specific topic within that niche.

What do you guys think?

Quote · 29 May 2009

Well, considering Dolphin can do all of those in one site might make the decision harder for you. Personally I see the "one stop shop" way oof thinking as the way to go. If the general nich covered is "skateboarding" then the sub categories  are an easy fit.

Now from an SEO perspective the individual sites might be a better choice. Only if the individual sections of Dolphin can't be SEO'd seperately.

Quote · 29 May 2009

Could have sworn I just answered this over in answers....we have alternate universes here at Boonex.....Too Cool.

Tallyplayer

Quote · 29 May 2009

I would just do it all in one website. Easier to manage, cheaper to run and people only have to remember one domain name.

On a side note, I have been skateboarding since about 95 and would love to help you out in any way possible.

Happiness is a warm gun.
Quote · 29 May 2009

If skating then definately a google maps api for your members to mark their favorite boarding spots.

Quote · 30 May 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.