what after 2023?

What after 2023?

Have i to stop my sites?

http://www.busimatch.club ( The most exclusive business club)
Quote · 6 Oct 2018

no, it will work just fine. 

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 6 Oct 2018

no, it will work just fine. 

That's a bold statement indeed. Do you know something we don't?

It will only work fine if It's upgraded to PHP 7 or PHP 5.x isn't removed as an option on our servers and Flash is replaced with something else. Five years is a very long time!

There's been so much damage done by Boonex in the past 12 months, I find it difficult to see Dolphin being maintained and this forum being here in another year.

Or are we watching "Damage Control" with Andrew Boon making more posts in two months that he's done in the past two years and support appearing from everywhere? My guess is it's too far little, far too late.

I hope I'm wrong.

Quote · 6 Oct 2018

Well, dolphin_jay meant the code would still be working.  However, there are issues to consider and John is correct, PHP 7 is a big concern.  Many hosts are pushing customers to move to PHP 7.  1and1.com is forcing everyone to move to PHP 7 by charging extra if you want to run PHP 5.6.  Of course if one has the skill set, then a VPS or Dedicated would allow you to run whatever version of PHP one wishes.  However, not everyone is a sever admin.  You may have to move to a server or hire someone to help to keep your Dolphin site running.  That is why I let everyone know that I do offer VPS and Dedicated servers that I can set up to run the current Dolphin without issues.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 6 Oct 2018

We will update DolphinPro to support php7. After 2023, if you’d till haven’t trnasferred to UNA you’d be able to use DolphinPro as is, but further updates would require transition to an UNA-powered Dolphin solution. By then we should be able to make it seamless enough. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 6 Oct 2018

Start thinking about 2022.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michel - Meta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 9 Oct 2018

I apologize in advance because I haven't had a chance yet to read all discussion regarding Dolphin vs. Una. It looks like a conversion tool to migrate Dolphin Pro sites over to UNA is in the works. If that is the case, I certainly would make the change to UNA. However, I'm not clear on the pricing part. I currently have a Dolphin Pro permanent license and host my years running Dolphin Pro site myself. If I migrate to UNA and want to have the same functionality of my current site, will I be required to pay $50 per month to use UNA, or can I migrate to UNA using my Dolphin Pro license without a $50 per month charge?

Quote · 9 Oct 2018

I apologize in advance because I haven't had a chance yet to read all discussion regarding Dolphin vs. Una. It looks like a conversion tool to migrate Dolphin Pro sites over to UNA is in the works. If that is the case, I certainly would make the change to UNA. However, I'm not clear on the pricing part. I currently have a Dolphin Pro permanent license and host my years running Dolphin Pro site myself. If I migrate to UNA and want to have the same functionality of my current site, will I be required to pay $50 per month to use UNA, or can I migrate to UNA using my Dolphin Pro license without a $50 per month charge?

Unless Boonex has backed away; nothing is written in stone when you are talking about Boonex, you can convert your license to an UNA licence where you have full access to the UNA apps.  Once you convert, you can not revert back to a Dolphin licence.

Quote · 10 Oct 2018

As far as reverting a UNA License back to Dolphin, this isn't what I've been told in e-mail this week by Mark P.

Quote from e-mail:

Yes the Pro plan includes automatic updates (I just realized that's not clear on the UNA.IO site, so thanks for pointing that out, I will get it fixed :) - and yes I'm sure we could arrange a swap back to Dolphin if you were not content with UNA.

Mark P
support@una.io

UNA, Inc.
https://una.io

Quote · 10 Oct 2018

yes I'm sure we could arrange a swap back to Dolphin if you were not content with UNA.

Thanks for the input but please note that this statement is iffy.  Perhaps Andrew will clarify this.  Since Andrew has announced that licenses for Dolphin Pro will continue to be sold then yes, they should be able to put the licence back in your Boonex account.

Quote · 10 Oct 2018

Thank you for the responses everyone. So, it seems, and I hope, that I will be able to convert a permanent Dolphin Pro license to UNA and not have to pay an additional $50 per month if I host on my own.

The real point of my concern I guess was the possibility of a $50 monthly fee. I run a free site for a "hobby" community. I already cover the hosting fees on my own which I'm fine with, but if it cost me $50 a month in addition, I'd need to close it down. 

Quote · 10 Oct 2018

Thank you for the responses everyone. So, it seems, and I hope, that I will be able to convert a permanent Dolphin Pro license to UNA and not have to pay an additional $50 per month if I host on my own.

The real point of my concern I guess was the possibility of a $50 monthly fee. I run a free site for a "hobby" community. I already cover the hosting fees on my own which I'm fine with, but if it cost me $50 a month in addition, I'd need to close it down. 

I suggest that you put up an UNA site and let them test it.  They might not like UNA.

Quote · 10 Oct 2018

To clarify, UNA and Dolphin licenses are interchangeable. You can use either system, or both, under same license. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 11 Oct 2018

What happens to the free licence? I have upgraded to PHP 7 and nothing works!

Quote · 18 Oct 2018

Hello galanopd!

The PHP version doesn't influence on the license's accept and the work under the license. Please specify your situation - you were using Dolphin under the free license then after an upgrade of PHP in your server, Dolphin has stopped t work? But for now, Dolphin 7.3.x can't work with PHP 7, you need to switch to any from PHP 5.3 till 5.6

Quote · 18 Oct 2018

Thank you LeonidS. That is the problem. So I will have to wait until Dolphin releases an update that works with PHP 7, correct? Andrew Boon said "We will update DolphinPro to support php7. " but he didn't say when.

Also my question was about the free license. Does UNA have a free license as well? Because Andrew Boon said above "To clarify, UNA and Dolphin licenses are interchangeable. You can use either system, or both, under same license." So I suppose this applies to free license as well? Please clarify.

Thank you

Quote · 18 Oct 2018

Thank you LeonidS. That is the problem. So I will have to wait until Dolphin releases an update that works with PHP 7, correct? Andrew Boon said "We will update DolphinPro to support php7. " but he didn't say when.

Also my question was about the free license. Does UNA have a free license as well? Because Andrew Boon said above "To clarify, UNA and Dolphin licenses are interchangeable. You can use either system, or both, under same license." So I suppose this applies to free license as well? Please clarify.

Thank you

I can answer your question.  Boonex ended free licenses  for Dolphin Pro (confusion again because Andrew has once again decided to use "Dolphin" in connection with UNA).  You can use Dolphin Pro for free but you will see that little "bug" that pops out at the side.  I won't go into any legal issues concerning the CC license here.  Andrew Boon himself has stated that Dolphin Pro is Open Source software so we could go into some legal definitions here but I won't.  Currently with Dolphin Pro, you get all the modules that downloads with Dolphin Pro and they can all be used.

Now, with UNA it is a bit different.  UNA comes with some free apps (they changed from modules to apps because hey, we all have to be in the stupid mobile phone arena that the mass idiots use) and it comes with what Boonex calls Power Apps.  Power Apps can be purchased or rented depending on the app.  With the Dolphin Pro PAID license applied to UNA, you get access to the Power Apps.

Quote · 19 Oct 2018

Thank you geek_girl,

Now all seem to be clear. So I can download the Dolphin Pro and use it for free as you said ( with that little "bug"), right? Also, what do you mean by "Currently with Dolphin Pro, you get all the modules that downloads with Dolphin Pro and they can all be used."? Do you mean for free or just that nothing has changed so far and maybe we won't be able to download modules in the future? 

Once again thank you for the explanation

Quote · 19 Oct 2018

When you download Dolphin Pro, it contains over twenty modules which you can either use or ignore. You will need to use the Photos module, but the others are optional and allow you to develop a unique site. 

All of the modules are included in the Installation package so there's nothing extra to download. However, several developers have created other modules you can purchase via the Store. None are necessary, but a few are very desirable. Modzzz for example, has over 200.

On the other hand, UNA comes with a few basic modules or Apps, but to get it to reach the same level as Dolphin, you will need to purchase or rent a few Power Apps. If you have a paid Dolphin Pro License, it's transferable to UNA and that gives you free access to the power apps as far as I know. Sadly the whole licensing thing has become very complicated, but the options available for the free version of Dolphin hasn't changed over the years.

The only difference between the free version of Dolphin and the Licensed version is the exorbitant cost and and the removal of a small unobtrusive notice which promotes the product. Personally, I have no issues with the notice and continue to use the free version. 

Quote · 19 Oct 2018

Thank you Johnk42,

So I will go on with the free version (for the moment) of the product and I will have to wait until Boonex makes it compatible to PHP 7.x as Boon said, because I have already upgraded my website to PHP 7.x. 

As for the modules, I have already purchased a few (from Modzzz too). 

The lowest price to use UNA, I think is $1000 per month. To my humble opinion, any company that wants to succeed in technology should give for free the basic version of the product. For instance, in this case Boonex should give Dolphin Pro for free (maybe by changing the name to something else, e.g. Dolphin X) and never stop supporting it, while at the same time will go on developing UNA and use 90% of the company resources to it. Keeping Dolphin is a respect to all the loyal users for all those years. So any customer asking for someting more will go for UNA as an option and not obligatory (since Dolphin will stop support). Dolphin was the "trap" to catch customers (users) for years and had a free version. Now what? With this insecurity of licensing and changing, many existing users might decide to leave looking for a more "stable" roof, rather than deciding to go to UNA platform as noone can guarantee to them "stability" and potential new users it is unlikely to appear without a free version of UNA. Although I deeply understand the cost of maintaining Dolphin, looking deeper in a situation we can always find solutions and always value our customers. So, stop supporting the free Dolphin and "forcing" the usage of non-free UNA only brings dissapointment to users and developers of modules.

In any case, all that I mention above is just an opinion and at no case try to indicate to Dolphin and UNA what to do. But sometimes, it is good to say things rather than say nothing, as it could only help getting the pulse of the customers and the market in general.

I am sure Boonex has already taken into consideration many more things and know what they are doing.

Thank you all for your time and effort to answer my questions,

Dimitris

Quote · 20 Oct 2018

The lowest price to use UNA, I think is $1000 per month. To my humble opinion, any company that wants to succeed in technology should give for free the basic version of the product.

Yikes! On the una.io site they have plans ranging from Free - $200 per month, depending on if you are just licensing using your own server, or have their hosting plans. Is that not the correct pricing? Where did you see $1000?

(https://una.io/page/start)

Quote · 20 Oct 2018

Where did you see $1000?

Just click the PRICING link in the black line above.

Quote · 20 Oct 2018

To clarify, the $1000+ per month pricing is for professional services such as integration, modification, etc. The UNA platform can be downloaded And used for free. Access to automatic download and updates of all PowerApps is $50/month. You can however download them directly via GitHub. The hosted solution is $100/month including PowerApps and backups. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 20 Oct 2018

To clarify, the $1000+ per month pricing is for professional services such as integration, modification, etc. The UNA platform can be downloaded And used for free. Access to automatic download and updates of all PowerApps is $50/month. You can however download them directly via GitHub. The hosted solution is $100/month including PowerApps and backups. 

Actually, it is all rather amusing.  I think the prices on the black bar above are not serious plans; no one is going to pay $1000/month, and especially $3K and $5K a month.  I laughed when I saw those.  No one is going to shell out up to 60 thousand dollars a year for either Dolphin Solution using UNA or UNA.  Andrew, be honest here, was the pricing on the black bar a joke?  My other thought was that it was meant to drive people away from Dolphin Pro and we have noticed the use of Dolphin associated with UNA.  I think the idea is that UNA will eventually be rebranded as Dolphin.  We are not idiots here.

Quote · 21 Oct 2018

These plans, at any given time, is what covers two-thirds if the development and operating cost for UNa and Dolphin. We have been provisioning these on individual basis for at least 2 years now, and only just now published on Boonex site as a direct purchase option. 

For a company that requires setup, configuration assistance, some modifications and integrations it is typical that 150-300 hours of dedicated service is required, along with communication and project management. The base cost of this for us is between $7K to $15K at least.  So these plans are only adequate and are in fact very cost effective. Unless you’re prepared to DIY and invest Months yourself these plans make perfect sense. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 21 Oct 2018

this is a issue, not many wants to move over to una yet.. if this going to happen, Andrew, you need to set your old members like us a license that as been with you for long long time.. for the token that we do support the company, as i have yet seen anything done with boonex, no updates for wall, as well newer themes-- now i'm not saying that everyone needs to get a license - oh no, what i mean, members that been with you long time from now, should get a nice deal due to we help make your traffic, and pay you from long time to make una, without us there would be noting.. there is many scripts out there like wowonder and phpfox and anyone here knows they can go to them and use there script; but in this case they did not.. so why not help us out. 

i do think una can make it, but issue is renting and not owning the license for "power-apps" if you truly care about us, please help us understand on how we can help you, for a deal breaker thanks

Quote · 23 Oct 2018

@geek_girl: Thank you for all the free help you gived me. You saved my site a few times.

@Andrew: Unfortunately, the promises made by you are no longer of any value. Directions announced by you in the past have always been changed along the way, deadlines have not been met.

I do not like UNA and I think it's more bad than BONNEX. Even if I decide to move on UNA, what guarantees me that in 1-2 years you do not change your mind about UNA. BONNEX history shows us that we have every chance that you will change your mind.

I think this is a problem for both UNA and BONNEX.

Thank you for 9 years of BONNEX, my community thanks you.

I'm sorry about the new direction of BONNEX.

Good luck on the new road.

Quote · 4 Nov 2018

These plans, at any given time, is what covers two-thirds if the development and operating cost for UNa and Dolphin. We have been provisioning these on individual basis for at least 2 years now, and only just now published on Boonex site as a direct purchase option. 

For a company that requires setup, configuration assistance, some modifications and integrations it is typical that 150-300 hours of dedicated service is required, along with communication and project management. The base cost of this for us is between $7K to $15K at least.  So these plans are only adequate and are in fact very cost effective. Unless you’re prepared to DIY and invest Months yourself these plans make perfect sense. 

Not buying it Andrew.  There is nothing to indicate what you are saying is the case.  Since you are actually talking about UNA when you use the cryptic Dolphin Solution then the pricing should be the same that is over at the UNA.io site.  This is meant to kill Dolphin and we are all aware of that.  If someone is paying you 60 grand a year for the Dolphin Solution then show us the invoice with any private info redacted.

Quote · 5 Nov 2018

Def

The current Dolphin solution offer is not a software subscription. It is very clearly spelled out is that it is a time-based services packages for custom implementations based on UNA. The custom services is currently the main sustaining revenue stream for us, which allows for Dolphin maintenance and support as well as UNA development. 

I can’t produce the recepts right now as I’m still Not fully “connnected”, but happy to do that after the 20th. Not sure what it would achieve though. Generally, we see much better overall success in projects that are launched under these service plans - the specific ideas get implemented and clients learn a lot about the system in a short time. It does cost a lot in the beginning, but overall sometimes DIY projects can run into similar expense and never materialis into anythibg operational. 

To the the question of liking or not liking UNA - this is entirely a question of evolution. We are approaching release of a stable build and will then be able to produce a package that takes cues from the best parts of Dolphin be eventually make Dolphin to UNA transitions even smoother. 

By the way, a Question to everyone using DolphinPro — what are the most important features or elements of Dolphin that you like/need that are missing in UNA?

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 5 Nov 2018

By the way, a Question to everyone using DolphinPro — what are the most important features or elements of Dolphin that you like/need that are missing in UNA?

That's a funny question to ask people who may have spent around $1,000 or more (including mods and themes) along with thousands of hours on their Dolphin projects.

Perhaps we just don't like being taken for a ride.

Maybe if you paid users $10,000 to buy back their Dolphin license, a move to UNA might be more acceptable; along with suggestions on how to make UNA better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michel - Meta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 5 Nov 2018

I really not understand what's going on?  Why we have to move to UNA?  Why we don't continue with Boonex?  I spent lots of money to why mods, hosting, setup for Boonex ect. And, I spent weeks and months to learn and understand the Boonex.  Also, I brought about 35 mods. cost me lots of money. If, I have to move agian to UNA. I have to find differnet social site. I can't spent any more money for Boonex or UNA.

Do I  can get all money back? It's better stay on Boonex.   It's good for you and me. I don't want to go on UNA. sorry guys.

Senthur

Quote · 10 Nov 2018

I really not understand what's going on?  Why we have to move to UNA?  Why we don't continue with Boonex?  I spent lots of money to why mods, hosting, setup for Boonex ect. And, I spent weeks and months to learn and understand the Boonex.  Also, I brought about 35 mods. cost me lots of money. If, I have to move agian to UNA. I have to find differnet social site. I can't spent any more money for Boonex or UNA.

Do I  can get all money back? It's better stay on Boonex.   It's good for you and me. I don't want to go on UNA. sorry guys.

Senthur

No, you can continue to run your Dolphin sites as they are.

Quote · 10 Nov 2018

What about our licence after year 2023 on Dolphin, do we get a Key-Opener to Dolphin at year 2023? If Dolphin is dead and the updates stops. But if someone wants to continue it would bee nice to launch a 123 step how to remove the encryption for the license on the Dolphin. Right?

Quote · 11 Nov 2018

What about our licence after year 2023 on Dolphin, do we get a Key-Opener to Dolphin at year 2023? If Dolphin is dead and the updates stops. But if someone wants to continue it would bee nice to launch a 123 step how to remove the encryption for the license on the Dolphin. Right?

Any developer worth her salt can remove the licensing part; we don't because we honour the commitment to Boonex.  However, if the licensing server is shut down and you own a permanent license, then you do have a legal right to do what is needed to bypass the licensing server.  The only reason you would need to do something to a licensed and running site is if you change domain names; Dolphin Pro has the system such that even if the licensing server goes down, your site stays registered.

Quote · 12 Nov 2018

The licensing is likely to change by then (to MIT), but regardless of any chnages we don’t plan on disconnecting the licensing server. It is required for old (unupdated) sites operation to ensure they don’t have any dramas. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 13 Nov 2018

We will update DolphinPro to support php7. After 2023, if you’d till haven’t trnasferred to UNA you’d be able to use DolphinPro as is, but further updates would require transition to an UNA-powered Dolphin solution. By then we should be able to make it seamless enough. 

If boonex stop dolphin support, must provide a functional transfer script to migrate in UNA and also to all permanent licenses sold. I bought several dolphin permanent licenses that include updates. UNA team said that wil transfer only one.

Boonex Can't stop dolphin support without offering a viable alternative, otherwise it becomes a legal issue. also the permanent license must be permanent otherwise it is just a scam.  When you cannot provide permanent support, you cannot make promises to take people's money and then change your name and run away. Otherwise it's a scam, and all scams end up in court.  It doesn't matter what boonex wants to call the new version of dolphin, whether it's called una or spartacus, or someting else it's still boonex, and if boonex is sold, whoever buys boonex also buys the contractual obligations. Even today in 2023 dolphin cannot be transferred to UNA, the transfer to UNA today means lost licenses, means loss of content, views, comments, etc. I mean, I worked for more than 10 years for nothing. Just two days ago I tried to make a test transfer. The posts on the timeline lose the views, the comments, the date of the posts, and a lot of content. all the posts appear as being from the same day of the transfer.  A timeline without a posting date is no longer a timeline. Other problems with other modules. No one is paying me to do tests on something that is not functional from the start. So BOONEX don't forget to solve the problems with the license and the data transfer from everything I had on dolphin and the unmodified modules released by boonex., otherwise I will have to go to a court. In court, any scam pays dearly, but worse than the money is the image. Today, such a problem will make UNA disappear from the market.

"Permanent Dolphin License

No ongoing fees, no expiration, includes all future upgrades. This license removes all BoonEx links and references from your site, without any limit on members, amount of servers or traffic."  the license I tested on UNA does not work, it displays the UNA brand in the footer on all pages

brunno
Quote · 17 May 2023

I think the Courts would rule that "Lifetime" doesn't mean the life of the owner, but more the life of the product. As much as I'm sad to see Dolphin go, it's also a fact of life that any company has the right to develop and promote other products. AKA Volkswagen.

I'm not sure that any company is obliged to develop an upgrade path to their new product. If they were, how would a company that previously manufactured LP's, create an upgrade path to CD's?

The life of Dolphin has changed 7 times from version 1 to 7. In each instance, Boonex did offer an upgrade path, but they decided to stop at version 7 and develop a new product. Now they're recommending that you move to UNA if you want, so they're still honouring that "lifetime" thing in a way.

It's not the end of the world, well at least for a while. I'm still purchasing modules from Modzzz and Anton and I'm running a pretty powerful site as well, however it's a Dolphin Fork.

Dolphin runs okay on PHP 7, but that's finishing soon. To stay with Dolphin, you will need your own server where you can continue to run PHP 7 for a few more years, but if you're on a hosted server, your time is running out.

There are people here running 6 or 7 year old versions of Dolphin, so we should get another 6 or 7 years from the current script.

Having said that, Flash is finished and some of the older sites may be in big trouble. 

Quote · 17 May 2023

This is an Australian Law Firm's interpretation. As we use Common Law under the Westminster system, the same interpretation will probably be universal:

Lifetime Warranty

It can mean the reasonable lifetime of the product, the period the product is made by the manufacturer, the period the company is in business or as long as you are the first owner.

As Dolphin will be no more at the end of the year, the Lifetime support etc., will probably die with it.

Quote · 18 May 2023

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.