windows and dynamic IP

FOR  WINDOWS USERS WHO HAVE A DYNAMIC IP

For dynamic IP users it would be great if the Ray Media Base settings IP field could take a domain name.
The ? (help) says it can but the field is only good for 15 characters max and I am pretty sure the code could not handle it right now.
Could this and the the  red5-web.properties files for all the Web Apps in RMS be changed to handle domain names ?
If this is done then us users running from home with a dynamic IP can get RMS to work outside of the LAN.

If any of you could point me in the right direction I could probably make the changes to the code myself

Thanks in advance

Quote · 27 Feb 2009

You're joking..... right?  You think you're going to have a media server with only a DSL connection?  ROFL!!

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 27 Feb 2009

there are solutions to what you are looking for. here is just one that i know is fairly decent.

http://www.no-ip.com/downloads.php

as for running a site as resource intensive as dolphin, you will find really quick that its not very productive from a performance perspective. but it can actually be done, just need to compile all the tools that are necessary for that to take place.

Regards,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 27 Feb 2009

This is not going to be a general publc site, and probably there will be a max of 3 connections at the same time.

I have a 5Mbs unlimited connection and I have read your What 50GB bandwidth will get you. Hopefully my ISP won't complain. But again the video chats will be for a few minutes at a time

I will also look at the no-ip.com suggested by DosDawg to see if it will let me get around the dynamic Ip problem.

This is more of a test/few friends site to see if I can get things working on a local machine

Quote · 27 Feb 2009

That 5Mbps is your downstream speed.  Your upstream speed on a good day will probably top out at 500kbps, which is barely enough to support a single camera node broadcasting a 320 x 240 10fps video.  You'll be extremely lucky to even have a single 2 way session that works smoothly.

Some day when Red5 supports H.264, and Boonex/RMS catches up with it, you might be able to do what you want.  Until then, you'd be wise to just purchase a $5/month RMS hosting plan.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 27 Feb 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.