ACCESS DENIED!! Don't you just hate it!!

Are you tired of the usual

"YOUR CURRENT MEMBERSHIP (NON-MEMBER) DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO VIEW PROFILES.  "

or

"ACCESS IS FORBIDDEN"?

Want something a bit more fun, links the member to the join form or to your google ad link?

New and improved access denied messages..

Admin>Settings>Manage Languages

language key,

_ACTION_NOT_ALLOWED (System) Edit

replace the default with the code below

<h1>Oh SNAP!</h1><br><div style="width: 100%"> Your current membership (<b>{2}</b>) doesn't allow you to <b>{1}</b>. You don't have an account here at [YOURSITENAME], so you don't have permissions to access this page. <a href="http://www.YOURSITE.COM/join.php" target="_self"><br><h2>Join up today! It's FREE</h2></a></div><br>

<div align="center"><script type="text/javascript"><!--google_ad_client = "ca-pub-****************";/* michaelandbrian(non-member) */google_ad_slot = "**********";google_ad_width = 728;google_ad_height = 90;//--></script><script type="text/javascript"src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script></div><h5>You don't know what your missing!</h5>

Next language key to edit,

_bx_pageac_deny_text (Boonex Page Access Control) Edit

replace the default with the code below

<h1>Oh SNAP!</h1><br><div style="width: 100%"> Your current membership, NON MEMBER, doesn't allow you to view this!<b>{1}</b>. You don't have an account here at [YOUR SITE NAME HERE], so you don't have permissions to access this page. <a href="http://www.YOURSITE.COM/join.php" target="_self"><br><h2>Join up today! It's FREE</h2></a></div><br><div align="center">

<script type="text/javascript"><!--google_ad_client = "ca-pub-****************";/* ADINFO(non-member) */google_ad_slot = "**********";google_ad_width = 728;google_ad_height = 90;//--></script><script type="text/javascript"src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script></div><h5>You don't know what your missing!</h5>

Make sure to add your google account info and site name were needed.

Recompile your language file and your ready to go

Michael

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 28 Jun 2012

Thanks a lot bro awesome change it will surly force peoples to join thanks ones again

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Your welcome, this has helped on all my sites. Makes you want to join just to see what is there..

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

very nice... does it work with 7.09 (I know its an antique now).

How easy is it to replace google add with something different?

NAthan : )

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Isn't a member that is logged out also presented with those messages?  If so, then telling a member that is logged out they are not a member might not be a good thing.  In that case, say that you are "either not a member or you are logged out" will be a better message to present.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 14 Nov 2012

I might be missing something here.  If they can't see the profile, how would they even know about it to know they want to see it?   

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

Isn't a member that is logged out also presented with those messages?  If so, then telling a member that is logged out they are not a member might not be a good thing.  In that case, say that you are "either not a member or you are logged out" will be a better message to present.

Change to suit your needs.

Not all people think the same..

@Nathan, this was made before 7.1, so yes.

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

I might be missing something here.  If they can't see the profile, how would they even know about it to know they want to see it?   

I incorporate this on my adult sites, curiosity always works; well it works on my sites.

Signups are up more..

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

This is my thinking,

I allow the "Members" block on the homepage, a person sees a cute profile picture/name and clicks on it to view.

They usually join, I have the metrics to prove it

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

Ok, I get it.  Good idea. 

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

Change to suit your needs.

Not all people think the same..

@Nathan, this was made before 7.1, so yes.

I was not trying to be insolent; just thinking the way users tend to think :lol: 

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 16 Nov 2012

This is probably a silly question, but I was told by a few of our site membersthey are getting this denied message being discussed here after following back an e mail greeting from friends. They mentioned to me they thuoght maybe thier membership had been cancelled! I tried to located the file in languages stated here but for the life of me with numerous searches I can not find ( _Action_Not_Allowed) anywhere in 7.1 final release. Is there another key to search in this latest version or is there something missing. As a side note I have noticed a lot of none conforming langauge strings in a number of places even after I have compiled a number of times.

Here is one example. in profiles: Status = _FieldValues_(whatever) in Dolphin 7.09 the status text was always clean with no underscores.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Quote · 5 Feb 2013

This is probably a silly question, but I was told by a few of our site membersthey are getting this denied message being discussed here after following back an e mail greeting from friends. They mentioned to me they thuoght maybe thier membership had been cancelled! I tried to located the file in languages stated here but for the life of me with numerous searches I can not find ( _Action_Not_Allowed) anywhere in 7.1 final release. Is there another key to search in this latest version or is there something missing. As a side note I have noticed a lot of none conforming langauge strings in a number of places even after I have compiled a number of times.

Here is one example. in profiles: Status = _FieldValues_(whatever) in Dolphin 7.09 the status text was always clean with no underscores.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

On that popup, your looking for the wrong language key.

For something like this, search for what is actually in the popup.

e.g. "access denied" returns these results, not all keys have underscores so use general search first.

search-for-keys.png · 713K · 1942 views
Quote · 6 Feb 2013

This is probably a silly question, but I was told by a few of our site membersthey are getting this denied message being discussed here after following back an e mail greeting from friends

If your members are getting the access denied, could it be they have not confirmed their account via email.

In 7.1, moderation is set default for memberships to confirm email to activate account fully.

In .9 this was set to "auto approve" memberships.

It's confusing to users making the switch to 7.1 and are not familial with this setting; that they may not know existed anyways.

Quote · 6 Feb 2013

hi newton27 .... are you aware of a way that different 'access denied' messages can be shown depending on membership for example:  non-member and member  ?

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
Quote · 6 Feb 2013

hi newton27 .... are you aware of a way that different 'access denied' messages can be shown depending on membership for example:  non-member and member  ?

No, I tried different methods but couldn't get it.

What I was trying to do was use PAC along with this.

You might think of some ways to add levels to PAC and do it that way.

Quote · 6 Feb 2013

Newton thanks for the replay however what I am trying to get to is changing the text shown on the denied message. In doing so maybe I am trying to be to literal as in looking for the text to change, in the instructions above it said to look for ( _Action_not _allowed (system)edit) and I tried everyway I could to find that but can not. I tried searching as it is shown and also without underscores, individual words and so on. As you show in the png posted as an example when I enter (access denied) I get virtually the same list based on what modules I have installed but none of then say as you my note on the png (_Action_not_allowed) so that is my dilemma.

The other issue I mentioned was seperate promped by asking is maybe there is something wrong or corrupted in my installation which could also explain not finding the the action in my search. Why I may think this, as noted with two screen shots below showing the status dropdown window text in two different Dolphin versions of D7

Your input and concern are great appreciated 

dolp 7.01final status.PNG · 131K · 526 views
dolp 7.1b1 status.PNG · 143.6K · 553 views
Quote · 8 Feb 2013

The other issue I mentioned was seperate promped by asking is maybe there is something wrong or corrupted in my installation which could also explain not finding the the action in my search.

Is this a live site?

was it a .9 upgrade/patch?

[edit] If your working with a new install, I suggest you download the file linked here and do new install.

http://mynewbeetle.org/filebox/7.1-SVN-17418.zip

It is today's current update as of 10:22:54 2013-02-08

Since our "final" release there have been hundreds of updates and changes.. I suggest re installing.

Quote · 8 Feb 2013

Hope this helps..

search for this key "Your current membership"

returns that and some more.

_ACTION_NOT_ALLOWED (System)

Quote · 8 Feb 2013

Newton again I want to thank you for your help and interest. In all I have tried a number of social media scripts the last year or so to help out a client with their group moving away from SMF and Joomla. Dolphin is by far the best looking and feature rich script I have found.

When I run into issues like this with new scripts I always like to go to the forums first for answers before I start tearing into code and find I made a mess of things.  However in this case after my last post I got a wild hair and decided to install a fresh d7.1 in a new folder and found all the problems are solved.  As I noted above about a number of apparent compling errors with underscores that had not been there before, that should have been the absolute clue. Once I installed the new d7.1 and everything worked accordingly including finding the files you said should be there and I edited them as you sugested.  Incase anyone else runs into this type of problem here is what I think happend. I installed D7.09 and soon after 7.1b1 came out and I upgraded per instructions. Of course then b2 was available so I upgraded there not long after final was out and I upgraded to that. Looks like the language problem occured between b1 and b2! Anyway I did this new install copied over the database data only from the corrupt install and moved the avatar,forum and blog posts folders over from the corrupt install and walla all is well.

Thanks again.

Quote · 8 Feb 2013

Laughing

Quote · 9 Feb 2013

Laughing

This replaces the missing image above at the beginning of this topic.

new-access-denied.png · 181.8K · 2075 views
Quote · 30 May 2013

I was navigating around my site as a new visitor would, and ran into "Access Denied" pages for several mods (that came with dolphin and some purchased mods).

Ugh!

How do I make a more customized page that entices people to JOIN instead of "access denied" which is a complete turnoff and unhelpful to new visitors?

Noticed newton27's cool method, but that was almost two years ago and before a few dolphin updates.

What works?

Thanks in advance.

Quote · 3 Apr 2014

It's just a language key.  You can put just about any html you want in a language key.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 4 Apr 2014

I found the language key "_Access denied (System)" pretty quickly. I ran into a problem when changing "Access Denied" to anything else. I put in newton27's html as an example.

You'll notice in the attached image below, the content in the language key shows up twice on the page. Not sure how to eliminate it from repeating.

access-denied.png · 63.6K · 591 views
Quote · 4 Apr 2014

I found the language key "_Access denied (System)" pretty quickly. I ran into a problem when changing "Access Denied" to anything else. I put in newton27's html as an example.

You'll notice in the attached image below, the content in the language key shows up twice on the page. Not sure how to eliminate it from repeating.

There are certain "access denied" areas you will not be able to do.

For those that have that display, try to add the link in the PAC module so you will get the one I have here.

Quote · 4 Apr 2014

im missing something with this i cant find where to edit this coding

Quote · 11 Nov 2014

RE

im missing something with this i cant find where to edit this coding

This was done using language keys, and the PAC module.

Quote · 11 Nov 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.