Blogs (or "rolodex") navigation menu quirk

When enabling the Blogs module & before any blogs/posts are created, the only area in the Navigation Menu that blog items/links appear is in the Profile Menu & that graphical rolodex-looking tab on the far right (next to search).  The only option under it is "Blogs".  Once a blog is created & a post is made, the Blogs tab finally appears in the Navigation menu but the rolodex-looking tab is still there and now it has no items under it.  It effectively is an orphan tab/menu and it's not clear what it's for.  It's confusing.  Shouldn't that menu tab go away when there's nothing under it?

Clarification: I guess this is known as the "More" menu/tab.  It seems buggy to be visible when there's no items under it.

Quote · 2 Feb 2010

Additional notes:

It seems anything menu just to the left of the "More" tab gets swallowed up by it, with it only displaying the first link in the menu just to the left of it.  For example, I moved the "About" tab to be just to the left of it and instead of the "More" menu either not being there or being empty, the "About" tab disappears and underneath the "More" Menu only 1 link appears: "About".

This is what lead me to want to remove the "About" menu and lead to a database-related issue.

This is clearly buggy behavior.

Quote · 2 Feb 2010

It appears that when there is more than a certain number of tabs on the menu, the "More" item appears and it's confusing when there's only 1 tab that needs to be collapsed into it.  It should only appear when there is at least 2 tabs needed to be collapsed.

Quote · 2 Feb 2010

It appears that when there is more than a certain number of tabs on the menu, the "More" item appears and it's confusing when there's only 1 tab that needs to be collapsed into it.  It should only appear when there is at least 2 tabs needed to be collapsed.

You do know that you can set the number of menu tabs that triggers the more tab in admin?  I don't think there's any bugs here.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 2 Feb 2010

1. Actually, I didn't know that.  The Admin interface is not intuitive to finding anything, nor am I aware of this being documented anywhere.  Can you offer me a hint as to where to find that setting?

2. It is a bug, in logic.  I'll tell you why:

Imagine you have a menu of 6 items and you've told the system "When I have more than 6 items, put the rest in a 'more' menu."  OK, so then you have 7 items/tabs.  The 'more' tab shows up and the 7th item is placed into it.  Guess what?  It didn't save you any tab space, not until you have at least TWO more tabs than your max.  In other words, the current logic only works when the amount of items greater than you want is at least 2 more than what you want because otherwise it won't save you any tab space and just makes things confusing.

Quote · 3 Feb 2010

You do know that you can set the number of menu tabs that triggers the more tab in admin?  I don't think there's any bugs here.

I went through every Admin option available, I have yet to find an option which allows someone to set the number of menu items that trigger the more tab.  Can you please share where that setting is?

Nevermind... I finally found it.

Quote · 7 Feb 2010

hey there, now that you finally found it, could you be so kind as to place the result in this thread in case somebody else is needing that information. also if you have the ability to document in trac, would you be so kind as to take the answer to trac for documentation? if you cannot post in trac, maybe HL would be so kind as to post on the wiki the result that you have discovered, and in all essence, some screen shots would be lovely.

I went through every Admin option available, I have yet to find an option which allows someone to set the number of menu items that trigger the more tab.  Can you please share where that setting is?

Nevermind... I finally found it.

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 12 Feb 2010

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.