Boonex to be more female friendly

Boonex really, really needs to be attract more females to download dolphin and to the forums, as it is females which have driven the sucess of the likes of facebook etc. Dolphin seems to be largely downloaded for men for their ideas of a community website, if more females were to get involved I feel they could fill the net with more niche communities that men find it harder to get to (using Dolphin of course).
Also it would aid the development of dolphin as at the moment its very tech/male focused.

I have more thoughts on this but let me know yours....

Quote · 27 May 2009

How do you propose Boonex go about that?

How can you tell how many members here are female, or male?  It's really hard to tell, especially when members use a profile photo of someone other than themselves... which I personally think is a little strange, but that's just me.

I'd like to hear what niche communities are better suited for women, and why you feel that Dolphin is "tech/male" focused.  I hope you are not implying that a technical focus cannot involve women.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 27 May 2009

...and why have line breaks disappeared again?

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 27 May 2009

To be honest?  What I would like Boonex to work on right now is software - especially D7  - environmental initiatives, forum moderation policies, outreach to women and minorities - these are all good things, but I would rather Boonex concentrate on writing software right now.

Quote · 27 May 2009

re Caltrade:
there is no " now " about this post or "boonex drop what you are doing"...
re Houston Lively:
1. I have asked other unity members for their thoughts/suggetstions
2. I would suggest that the percentage of female unity members is near 10% and not  near 50% especially 2 things women in the western world now spend more time online than men and secondly they spend far, far greater time on community websites...
Not to sure which members you refer to that use profile photos of someone other than themselves....
3.Niche communities websites better suited for women possibly weddings, fashion , wellbeing, women's health, women's sports eg netball, women's interests, family/mums/childcare communities...

Would like to hear  thoughts from female unity members....

Quote · 27 May 2009

I'm really in the dark as to 'how' to make a script female friendly, or for that matter specific to any gender/race/nationality or what have you. I have no idea what the ratio of male to female members there is here but I would think it doesn't matter in the least. The end product that's put out on the web by the site owners is what can be directed to a particular segment of society.

I also don't know who is responsible for the success of facebook. I would think it was just the idea that society can easily keep up with friends, find long lost friends etc very easily. I don't see a 'sex' issue there either. Are there more female profiles on facebook? I have no idea but let's say there is. The founder of Facebook was a man. Either Aaron J. Greenspan or Mark E. Zuckerberg, depending on the story you believe. The point is that the script is a neutered part of the creative process. It's what the developer decides to do with the script that can be inclusive of different sociological parameters. or directed to one more than the other.I know you were using facebook only as an example but I took your example a step further to show my point.

Your third point above:

---- 3.Niche communities websites better suited for women possibly weddings, fashion , wellbeing, women's health, women's sports eg netball, women's interests, family/mums/childcare communities...

That is precisely my point. The end user of Dolphin would promote sites like that. It's not up to the script developer to direct the focus. They put out a good, open source, flexible product. Maybe what's needed is more webmasters that want to target those niches. But that's not Boonex's responsibility.

Quote · 27 May 2009

There are lots of people here who use photos other than themselves - not just avatars, lots of guys have girl pictures - I never quite got that.

Quote · 27 May 2009

I've seen plenty of non descript avatars on here and many other forums. People like the anonimity of the internet and don want to put up pics of themselves. There are plenty here at unity.

By the way, that is my left eye and ear in my avatar. promise.

Quote · 27 May 2009

Footman - quick observation - Facebook is a "real name" site- in fact when they started people had to show a student ID to join - once they had several colleges join in they became something akin to a natural monopoly.   Here is an interesting article on the difficultiy they are having enforcing it: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jDZm-fT5nE7aT-Z0NxeqKw-HdLLQD988OLH00

-

Boonex, on the otherhand is mostly an "anomymous communication site" - people don't use there real IDs generally.    Not complaining - that is part of the culture here, but it does give license for certain elements to be a bit more "creepy" then they otherwise might be.

-

Rob

Quote · 27 May 2009

re Footman
I never mentioned about making the script more female frindly at all * can't see how this could be done anyway*

fact of life women are more social and have more friends and maintain more contact with their friends, it doesn't matter who started facebook * that wasn't the point I was making it* but the users who drove it's success...

your last point, Boonex aren't just script writers/developers they are here to sell a product and make a profit, one of the ways of doing this is to fill unexploited markets for their product.

Would like to hear thoughts from female unity members....

Quote · 27 May 2009

Boonex, on the otherhand is mostly an "anomymous communication site" - people don't use there real IDs generally.    Not complaining - that is part of the culture here, but it does give license for certain elements to be a bit more "creepy" then they otherwise might be.

-

Rob

That's so true Rob. Also true of so many other forums on the interwebs. Which does help create the keyboard cowboys out there who find it very easy to act out against someone. One of the problems of the 21st century and the internet.

Quote · 27 May 2009

Caltrade

I have an account on facebook without my real name for about 4 years and it's quite obvious too * I'm aware this is against there terms and conditions lol*

Our community is a little different too in that we have met all our members on our website before they join and we can quickly discover if you weren't who you say you were....

Back on topic

Quote · 27 May 2009

re Footman
I never mentioned about making the script more female frindly at all * can't see how this could be done anyway*

fact of life women are more social and have more friends and maintain more contact with their friends, it doesn't matter who started facebook * that wasn't the point I was making it* but the users who drove it's success...

your last point, Boonex aren't just script writers/developers they are here to sell a product and make a profit, one of the ways of doing this is to fill unexploited markets for their product.

I understand your point. The general point I made was that there isn't a single thing Boonex can do, as a company that develops scripts for webmasters, to make it more 'female friendly.' The fact that they're selling a product doesn't mean they can do anything to attract a particular part of society over another one. That is completely up to the webmaster.

I agree with you that women are generally more social than men and therefore could be the driving force behind the growth of facebook and others like it. But that, and the fact that it was developed by a guy goes to the point that the developer of the script is a neutered part of the process. It's what's done with it afterwards that makes the difference.

Quote · 27 May 2009

There are lots of people here who use photos other than themselves - not just avatars, lots of guys have girl pictures - I never quite got that.

I don't either... especially the ones that use children's pictures.  It's probably something completely innocent, but it creeps me out for some reason.  If you are going to post a picture, it should be one of yourself, or none at all.  The alternative is to just use an avatar.

I know there are some male members that use female photos, but it would not surprise me one bit if the reverse was also true.

Quote · 27 May 2009

Could you elaborate on this a bit?  Exactly what do you mean by "tech/male focused"?

Also it would aid the development of dolphin as at the moment its very tech/male focused.

Quote · 28 May 2009

Hmmmmmmmm  .....  

So am I a female impersonating a male?

Or a male impersonating a female?

Hmmmmmmmm  .....  

Perhaps I'm just using a pic that I happen to like?

Hmmmmmmmm  .....  

Or perhaps I just am ..... 

Hmmmmmmmm  .....  

Quote · 28 May 2009

Hmmmmmmmm  .....  

So am I a female impersonating a male?

Or a male impersonating a female?

Hmmmmmmmm  .....  

Perhaps I'm just using a pic that I happen to like?

Hmmmmmmmm  .....  

Or perhaps I just am ..... 

Hmmmmmmmm  .....  

Well, it's actually not that mysterious.  With that picture, it's pretty much a given you like men and women to think of you in a sexual way.  That's means you are definitely a bisexual.  To your credit, whether you are male or female, it might be a smart way to get more men to help you.  The reason I use a picture of a dog is because I don't like my mug and who doesn't like dogs.  For me, it would be weird to post a picture of a woman, since I'm a dude.  Also, I am straight and it's weird to ask for attention from the same sex unless you are gay.  Using your real name is good if you plan on selling modules here.  To each his own though.

Quote · 6 Jun 2009

Well, it's actually not that mysterious.  With that picture, it's pretty much a given you like men and women to think of you in a sexual way.  That's means you are definitely a bisexual.  To your credit, whether you are male or female, it might be a smart way to get more men to help you.  The reason I use a picture of a dog is because I don't like my mug and who doesn't like dogs.  For me, it would be weird to post a picture of a woman, since I'm a dude.  Also, I am straight and it's weird to ask for attention from the same sex unless you are gay.  Using your real name is good if you plan on selling modules here.  To each his own though.

Your making a pretty big assumption here. What type of photo people post has nothing to do with sexual preference.

Perhaps they don't like their mug, so they use someone else. Perhaps it's a photo of their GF or BF, perhaps they just like the photo or perhaps they do want to draw attention. Attention to their profile.

Oh and by the way. I don't like dogs.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 6 Jun 2009

YDDY -  I'm not sure i understand your post.  If I understand what you are saying, you are making a connection with development of the software in nature to females.  Honestly, I do not care one way or the other.  Bring in an elephant that can code and has some good ideas and I wouuld welcome it.  It is true that the most active group on social networks like myspace and facebook, at least as of a year ago, were females 14-23.  This should not be a shock to any one.  Most females that age were always on the phone when I was younger, and since the web is the new phone, it seems natural.  I fail to see a connection to how Dolphin would be improved from a Dev. standpoint just by bringing in some female coders.  As far as feature sets go, I would say it seems that females should be considered for focus groups etc.  As with any project you want to know who would be using your site the most, etc. and cater to them.  The great thing about Dolphin is that you can do a lot with it.  Dolphin 7 seems to be even better.  Being that its open, you can change things etc. to fit your own needs.  If you are looking to attract more females to your site I would suggest some market research.  If you need help with this let me know.  Cheers

P.S. My profile somehow was defaulted to Female.  I am in fact a male, lol.  I never picked female, but not sure how to change it.

Quote · 12 Jun 2009

YDDY -  I'm not sure i understand your post.  If I understand what you are saying, you are making a connection with development of the software in nature to females.  Honestly, I do not care one way or the other.  Bring in an elephant that can code and has some good ideas and I wouuld welcome it.  It is true that the most active group on social networks like myspace and facebook, at least as of a year ago, were females 14-23.  This should not be a shock to any one.  Most females that age were always on the phone when I was younger, and since the web is the new phone, it seems natural.  I fail to see a connection to how Dolphin would be improved from a Dev. standpoint just by bringing in some female coders.  As far as feature sets go, I would say it seems that females should be considered for focus groups etc.  As with any project you want to know who would be using your site the most, etc. and cater to them.  The great thing about Dolphin is that you can do a lot with it.  Dolphin 7 seems to be even better.  Being that its open, you can change things etc. to fit your own needs.  If you are looking to attract more females to your site I would suggest some market research.  If you need help with this let me know.  Cheers

P.S. My profile somehow was defaulted to Female.  I am in fact a male, lol.  I never picked female, but not sure how to change it.

I wasn't talking about the development of the dolphin software, more about marketing, the reception and help they were receiving on these forums (this has since improved), female orientated mods that could be developed...
I agree with you that Boonex needs focus groups, a mixture would be nice not just by gender; could by age, experience  with the internet etc..

BTW we have a harder job attracting men to our website, about 85% are female.

Quote · 12 Jun 2009

How can you tell how many members here are female, or male?  It's really hard to tell, especially when members use a profile photo of someone other than themselves... which I personally think is a little strange, but that's just me.

Quote · 15 Jun 2009

Members avatars ( i find)  usually reflect a person interest, or site image they want to put out... Usually though you can tell if their male or female by what site name they use....  Fluffy bunny (for instance) is usually female, while randyrocket is usually male  Smile

I dont think its anything to do with boonex the site that doesnt attract females, its the software itself. Dolphin is primemelary Dating software and not many women want to run dating sites. Hopefully with new releases of dolphin they will move into more community side of things without much messing, and this is when you will get more female interest. I know a couple of females that are really interested in building sites out of dolphin but dont like the dating aspect of it.

Regards

Tyke

Quote · 15 Jun 2009

MichaelRoger is a SPAMMER.  Somebody delete the account.  

Quote · 18 Jun 2009

Dolphin software is provided freely for everyone, they are  not in the market to divert their  intentens away from developing software for the purposes of attracting women to become untapanurers.

It is open for anyone who has an idea of their own regardless of gender for which they are providing opportunity for everyone

to make their goals possible in providing such software.

There is NO  gender directive here, and as for myself being female i do not in anyway find the whole structure targeted towards males in helping them favourably over women .

I am gettting away from what i am want to do in here, whilst posting this forum but i find your comments totally unjustified

and irelavant.

So please keep comments relevant to the pupose of this forum, so people are not wasting their time.

Quote · 19 Jun 2009

What are untapanurers?

Quote · 19 Jun 2009

Lol sorry i ment entrepreneurs.

Quote · 19 Jun 2009

Dolphin software is provided freely for everyone, they are  not in the market to divert their  intentens away from developing software for the purposes of attracting women to become untapanurers.

It is open for anyone who has an idea of their own regardless of gender for which they are providing opportunity for everyone

to make their goals possible in providing such software.

There is NO  gender directive here, and as for myself being female i do not in anyway find the whole structure targeted towards males in helping them favourably over women .

I am gettting away from what i am want to do in here, whilst posting this forum but i find your comments totally unjustified

and irelavant.

So please keep comments relevant to the pupose of this forum, so people are not wasting their time.

I was talking mostly about their marketing plans which wouldn't affect their software plans, nor do I believe their is a gender directive here bias towards helping men favourably over women but considering you are the first female to reply to this thread doesn't that tell you something?

Please note that this thread has been posted in the Boonex forum and not the Dolphin forum for a reason and my original post was about Boonex realising potential opportunities and gaps in the market for community software...

Quote · 19 Jun 2009

MAY BE BOONEX TEAM CAN MAKE THIS DOLPHIN SIMPLERER , as simple as face book . we don't need a compleks code, may be hehe

=> http://friends.smansakra.sch.id => friends community based dolphin 7
Quote · 19 Jun 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.