Change default membership after expiration

Does anyone know where I change what I want the default membership to be after a paid membership expires? 

Currently it defaults to level 2 (Standard). I want it to default to level 7 (Bronze). Any ideas? 

Quote · 14 Dec 2017

Anyone have any ideas?

Quote · 15 Dec 2017

I guess it depends on what you plan to do with Bronze. If it's just in the name, you could rename "Standard" to Bronze.

Quote · 16 Dec 2017

I think you're missing my question. Bronze was just an example.... what I mean to say was in the DB, each membership has a numeric value (I believe Standard is #2). When a paid membership expires, it reverts back to the standard membership. Where can I change the numeric value it reverts back to? For example... if I wanted it to actually revert back to 6 or 9 or whatever membership I'm choosing, where do I change that?

Quote · 18 Dec 2017

I missed your question because you never asked it. Your first question was very specific.

It always pays to let us know what you mean. 

Quote · 18 Dec 2017

Does anyone know where I change what I want the default membership to be after a paid membership expires? 

That is the question. I don't want it to revert to membership ID 2 (in the sys_acl_levels)... I want it  revert to membership ID 10. 

When memberships expire from a paid status, they automatically kick back to level 2... I want them to instead kick back to level 10. Here's why:

• When people join our site, the start out with Standard level (just like any other dolphin install). That level has almost no privledges to do or see anything because we need to "vet" the member first.
  • Once they have been vetted, they will always be vetted. So we set them to memership id 10. After that they can upgrade to a paid membership (either 6 or 9).
  • Once that paid membership expires it needs to kick them back to ID 10 (that vetted status)

That's the logic behind it if it helps.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Quote · 22 Dec 2017

(From what I recall) Dolphin assumes any user not in the sys_acl_levels_members table (or marked as Standard in the table) is a Standard member. When a user's custom level expires, Dolphin deletes their entry from the table and the user is thereafter considered a Standard member. You'll need to change the code so that instead of deleting the table entry for the user, their entry is updated instead to be the custom Bronze level without an expiration. I believe this code is in the /inc/membership_levels.inc.php file.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 23 Dec 2017

Hi Drakemaster,

The Logic is fine, but I'm not sure why you're quoting numeric levels. It's all done by name: "Standard, Bronze, Gold etc., in Dolphin's admin.

I'm not trying to throw a spanner in the works here, but sometimes a solution may not be clear at first site.

Changing the core code could have devastating results, especially if that file is modified by Boonex in the next update. 

From what I can see, what you're attempting to do is achievable without making any serious changes, thus I'm suggesting how I may do it and maybe you could give that a try on a test site.

If Promotion membership isn't being used, you could set the actions to whatever you want and set it so that it doesn't expire if that's what you wish. You could then use that as your entry level membership with "limited" facilities.

admin/settings/membership levels/settings

I'm not sure how you make promotional timeless, but maybe "0" will do it. Someone else may like to comment on that, but if you plan to vet people and you can comfortably do it inside 30 days, set it for 30.

Once vetted, you can then move a member to Dolphin's "Standard" which you can rename Bronze. Then, when a member is upgraded to Gold or whatever, and fails to pay their fees, s/he will automatically go back to Standard (Bronze).

This process will require zero code changes other than changing "Standard" to "Bronze" in sys_acl_levels in the Database. 

All this could be done in a few minutes.

Note: I quickly tested this on my own test site and it works. Out of the box, Dolphin sets the new member to Standard and you have to physically change this to promotion via the members section in the control panel. As a precaution, to stop new members having a feast you will need to set all new memberships for approval before they can access the site. That way you can change the membership to promotion first.

It's possible you can set all new members to Promotion when they sign up, but I haven't looked into this.

If you need any help with any of the above, let me know. I'm not doing much over Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Quote · 23 Dec 2017

Once promotional membership is enabled, Dolphin should automatically assign it to new members. The solution provided above by @johnk42 seems to be the most viable option.

Paypal email is jeromemingo@gmail.com - http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/modzzz
Quote · 23 Dec 2017

I've tried this.. and the logic is sound. But when new members join, they still get the Standard membership by default instead of the Promotional membership (Even though I've enabled promotional memberships). Any idea why?

Quote · 31 Dec 2017

Hi @Drakemaster. I also found this to be the case as stated in the last couple of paragraphs in my suggestion. Modzzz says the entry level reverts to Promotional and so it should.  Maybe we're missing something and Modzzz may wish to comment or give us a code snippet to fix the problem. As it stands, it looks like you have to do it manually by clicking the new member's icon or link in admin/members. I'm not sure which, but one will take you to their account page where you can set the membership level manually.

That's why I've suggested you have your settings so that all memberships have to be approved first. It's also the safest thing to do.

Quote · 1 Jan 2018

@Modzzz any ideas? I keep searching everywhere and can't find any reason it's doing this.

Quote · 2 Jan 2018

I will have to do some tests myself and get back to you. Seems there may be a bug in the membership functionality.

@Modzzz any ideas? I keep searching everywhere and can't find any reason it's doing this.

Paypal email is jeromemingo@gmail.com - http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/modzzz
Quote · 2 Jan 2018

@drakemaster - I have tested on my demo site and new members are automatically given promotional membership once the promotional membership setting is activated. Deeper investigation would have to be done to see what is the difference with your site and default Dolphin functionality.

Quote · 4 Jan 2018

After some investigation I found I actually was able to get the promotional membership to work correctly. The problem was that I didn't clear my cache. Once I did that, everything worked perfectly. Thank you so much everyone!

Quote · 5 Jan 2018

Thank you @drakemaster for raising this. I'll probably implement the system on my site but it's something that hadn't crossed my mind until you raised it.

Quote · 6 Jan 2018

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.