Do coders around here pay any attention to "Jobs"

I was just wondering if coders around here pay any attention to the Jobs listings in the market, before I waste my time posting something,  I have zero confidence in Odesk, and have not seen much to give me any sort of hope that getting a custom module developed is even possible.  The success or failure of a new site I'm working on, hinges on a custom/proprietary module. I can put the site online without it, but then it would be just one more of 700,000 other Dolphin sites that no one cares about. 

Any of you top coder guys have any advice as to what you look for in a job you are willing to take on?  On what criteria do you base your decision to take on work, or turn it down?  Is it always about the money?  Is it how confident you are in yourself that you can do the job?  Do you only take on jobs that have a familiar feel, or are you willing to work on things that have never been done before? 

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 13 Nov 2012

Funny, I've had folks tell me the Jobs area was a scam, but oDesk was top-notch.  May depend on the work.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 14 Nov 2012

Only a few are truly capable of handling the sophisticated mods I feel. Majority just want your money.

I was just wondering if coders around here pay any attention to the Jobs listings in the market, before I waste my time posting something,  I have zero confidence in Odesk, and have not seen much to give me any sort of hope that getting a custom module developed is even possible.  The success or failure of a new site I'm working on, hinges on a custom/proprietary module. I can put the site online without it, but then it would be just one more of 700,000 other Dolphin sites that no one cares about. 

Any of you top coder guys have any advice as to what you look for in a job you are willing to take on?  On what criteria do you base your decision to take on work, or turn it down?  Is it always about the money?  Is it how confident you are in yourself that you can do the job?  Do you only take on jobs that have a familiar feel, or are you willing to work on things that have never been done before? 

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

That would be a big nope. I have advertised several projects over the last couple years and never got a response.

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 14 Nov 2012

Lol, Houston has asked correct questions but I guess the only correct answer to them would be... 42? ;)

I have a question of my own. Some regular developers here have disappointed me with their attitude so I just ask, perhaps naively, who - or maybe why it can't be done lol? - can create a better (FB-like) message thread system and yes, real notifications to the relevant content. And since Xmas is coming, so I ask Santa to fill my shopping cart with maybe better chat system, something like FB has? Anyone? No one?

Lol.

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

I generally get my work done, even complete custom builds, but it has taken 2 years of building relationships with the top 3-4 developers on here.

Take time to get to know them and see how they like to work, then present projects to them in a clear format that they can understand.....

This has served us well....

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

This sounds like proposing to a woman or talking to a politician, lol, present projects in a clear format that they can understand... :))

I generally get my work done, even complete custom builds, but it has taken 2 years of building relationships with the top 3-4 developers on here.

Take time to get to know them and see how they like to work, then present projects to them in a clear format that they can understand.....

This has served us well....

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.