Dolphin 7.1 Templates Will Be Easy To Rip Off

I'm not going to say how in a public forum, but Boonex developers should think of a way to prevent this from happening. 

There needs to be a way for a template to NOT work unless a key file is present.  Then, unless the correct key is present, the template files will not be loaded. 

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 11 Nov 2012

Template(or module) authors can encrypt their code with some protection in it. 

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 12 Nov 2012

This is absurd, you understand what a template is correct? HTML/CSS visible on client side. Almost every major template or theme site has full demo's where one could say view the source code and copy it. Requiring each developer to maintain a "licence system" for templates would mean you are trusting that developer would maintain the licence server and well, we all know what happens with that.

I'm not going to say how in a public forum, but Boonex developers should think of a way to prevent this from happening. 

There needs to be a way for a template to NOT work unless a key file is present.  Then, unless the correct key is present, the template files will not be loaded. 

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Template(or module) authors can encrypt their code with some protection in it. 

You mean HTML/CSS/JS encryption correct? "Security through obscurity" is useless IMO. Each of those "encryption" methods are easily bypassed because the code is client side.

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Are you implying that 7.1 is more vulnerable to this than 7.0.x was?

I've always had the impression that if anyone wanted to take the time to do it, it's entirely possible no matter the version. All it takes is knowing what files you need to pull.

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Don't get me wrong folks.  I don't care one bit how easy it is to rip off a template. All I'm saying is that it will be easier than ever.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

This is absurd, you understand what a template is correct? HTML/CSS visible on client side. Almost every major template or theme site has full demo's where one could say view the source code and copy it. Requiring each developer to maintain a "licence system" for templates would mean you are trusting that developer would maintain the licence server and well, we all know what happens with that.

Yes genius.... I know what a template is. 

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Don't get me wrong folks.  I don't care one bit how easy it is to rip off a template. All I'm saying is that it will be easier than ever.

So you don't want template developers to include a "key file" any more? Are you a template developer yourself, is that why you are so concerned?

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

So you don't want template developers to include a "key file" any more? Are you a template developer yourself, is that why you are so concerned?

I want to know why You are so concerned about my post.  I'm simply calling attention to a fact.  Like many things I call attention to, I don't expect anything to be done about it.  

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

I want to know why You are so concerned about my post.  I'm simply calling attention to a fact.  Like many things I call attention to, I don't expect anything to be done about it.  

You posted this in a public forum, as a template developer I feel I should be concerned regarding this issue. If you want something to be done about it, why not explain it a bit more so other developers could give feedback.

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

You posted this in a public forum, as a template developer I feel I should be concerned regarding this issue. If you want something to be done about it, why not explain it a bit more so other developers could give feedback.

If you're a template developer, you should be able ti figure it out. I am NOT a template developer and have already read enough in this post that I could probably figure it out. He's just making a statement with a possible solution, not trying to start a fight.

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

If you want something to be done about it, why not explain it a bit more so other developers could give feedback.

This is one of those things, that if I explained more, would do more harm than good to purveyors of templates.... so I'm not going to do that.  Template designers should already know why ripping off a 7.1 template will be so much easier.

If people want to discuss ways to protect template files, that would be a beneficial discussion. 

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

If you want something to be done about it, why not explain it a bit more so other developers could give feedback.

This is one of those things, that if I explained more, would do more harm than good to purveyors of templates.... so I'm not going to do that.  Template designers should already know why ripping off a 7.1 template will be so much easier.

If people want to discuss ways to protect template files, that would be a beneficial discussion. 

“Customers think the price is really good where it is. We're trying to compete with piracy — we're trying to pull people away from piracy and say, 'You can buy these songs legally for a fair price.' But if the price goes up a lot, they'll go back to piracy. Then, everybody loses.”

I bet you can guess who said that. I think if developers would lower the cost of templates to a sane price, they could compete with privacy and not worry about "DRM for Dolphin Themes". I understand where your coming from, I was the person who originally reported CodyT after purchasing his "Super Mod Bundle" to verify he in fact packaged several mods (including mine) in a bundle without permission. 

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

If you're a template developer, you should be able ti figure it out. I am NOT a template developer and have already read enough in this post that I could probably figure it out. He's just making a statement with a possible solution, not trying to start a fight.

I can figure it out, I do not support the notion of drm templates. Please see attached image.

forhouston.jpg · 64K · 363 views
Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

I can figure it out, I do not support the notion of drm templates. Please see attached image.

Why don't you take the attached image and shove it up a well known orifice.  I point out that template designers work will be easier to rip, and all you want to do is be argumentative.  Kindly f*** off.

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

This may be a little obscure for some but I fealt it needed to be included in this thread.
your browser show's the HTML from the site, this is true.  But it is just showing the HTML that was produced from PHP!  It would be nearly impossible for someone to copy the HTML shown in the browser and duplicate a site.  Also, without some major hacking, there is no way to copy PHP files from someones site without their password. 

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

RE:

This may be a little obscure for some but I fealt it needed to be included in this thread.
your browser show's the HTML from the site, this is true.  But it is just showing the HTML that was produced from PHP!  It would be nearly impossible for someone to copy the HTML shown in the browser and duplicate a site.  Also, without some major hacking, there is no way to copy PHP files from someones site without their password. 

Yes... we know this.  Dolphin's template files are for the most part html, css, and images... all with known urls. While a dolphin template does have a php scripts directory, those files aren't often modified from the stock versions that ship with Dolphin.  With that said, it would be wise of template developers that want to protect their designs, to make better use of the php scripts to make it a little more difficult to rip off a template.  I'm pretty sure this can be done without a complex licensing system and license server like some people believe.  Like you inferred, if some of the template required a custom php file to work properly, the template would be harder to steal, as you can't just go grab a php file.

Just to prove to myself how easy it was to rip a 7.1 template, I gave it a try.  I'll spare most of the details, but I will say that I successfully copied the template in about 15 minutes.  I, of course, don't plan on using it, or disclosing any part of it to anyone.  If I were someone less than honest, the template developer would be losing out on about fifty bucks. 

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Sorry- There are no templates out for 7.1 worth $50 yet.

So I guess I should add- I seriously hope the idea of competitive fair pricing stays in play here.

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

RE:

So I guess I should add- I seriously hope the idea of competitive fair pricing stays in play here.

This topic isn't about whether or not templates are competitively priced.  However, as a general rule, if I don't like the price of something, I don't buy it. It's that simple.

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

RE:

This topic isn't about whether or not templates are competitively priced.  However, as a general rule, if I don't like the price of something, I don't buy it. It's that simple.

Should I have better emphasized FAIR? You seemed to have overlooked that, which is completely relevant to this topic. 

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

RE:

Should I have better emphasized FAIR? You seemed to have overlooked that, which is completely relevant to this topic. 

Explain to me how a sellers pricing relates to the theft of intellectual property.  Is it your position that in order for sellers to deter theft of their products, they should price them low enough so that it's not worth the thieves time to go rip it off? 

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

Ok, I get your point- A thief is a thief and they're going to steal because that's what they do? (perhaps that's your point)

I can't really say for sure one way or another, but yeah, I guess I'd like to believe that not over-pricing things will help deter some of it.

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

Ya know, to be completely honest, I do kinda feel bad that I said the part about- "There are no templates out for 7.1 worth $50 yet."

That probably shouldn't have been said because YES- that's just my personal opinion and perhaps what's out there is worth $50 to some...and you're right HL- that's not what this topic is about.

That being said, there's talk in this thread about encryption, and if I'm not mistaken, even you HL have had not so happy things to say about dealing with issues relating to encryption. I'm not sure if this is a different situation or not, but I certainly agreed with your frustration back then, and don't want to run into a situation where I can't make changes because of encryption- stifling my efforts to design a unique site.

Again, all honesty here- I'm not sure if we're talking about the same kind of encryption. I interpret encryption as- I can't do something without decrypting. I don't want to have to do that (unless it's an easy ONE-TIME process)...I don't want to have to contact/hire a developer to make modifications/improvements continually (I prefer that to be minimized- I don't think anyone wants to have to bother a developer if all possible)...I've spent 10x over and more what I originally anticipated building my site, and I'm fine with that because I've been lucky enough to do most things myself. But I definitely don't want to go a road that puts more folks more dependent on developers, because I think this is already a developer's market. I do support developers and appreciate their position and doing business with them, but wherever this topic goes- I hope it doesn't lead to more $$$ out or more roadblocks in designing our site(s). We should be able to go to the Market, make a purchase, download the files, have everything we need to immediately install, and get to work making modifications as needed- Overnight while most our members are offline.

I hope developers, webmasters, you HL, and Boonex themselves can appreciate this.

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

I have, in my time, purchased some quite expensive software (non boonex). I have also recieved copies of software (non Boonex(as have we all I'm quite sure)). The difference between the two is that the products that I have have actually purchased in the past have been quality products that did as it said on the tin, worked out of the box and although expensive, were value for money!

I am very happy to pay a decent price for any boonex module or template so long as it does what it says. I have a long list of modules that I do not use on my site because they have more holes in them than Swiss cheese! These represent a significant financial investment by myself, which I could have used for other things within the business.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that if a template or product is worth its gold and is going to be supported then it is worth buying if you need it. But I am also not surprised at all that some templates and modules do and will get ripped off, shared, exploited (a) because there is an element on here that will always do this (b) although I considder most modules to be good value, some are VERY over priced (c) some templates, modules are rubbish and dont do as said in the blurb.

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.