Dolphin 7 - Protect Template CSS Files

I don't know how Dolphin 7 will work, but I know it will definitely need some css protection.. Currently anyone who knows the paths in a Dolphin 6.x installation can copy the templates as they desire...

Dolphin 7 should help designers to make available demos of the templates and in the same time to protect it's css files from theft..

In the index file, before we include the CSS file, we could set a key (using sessions) and in the CSS file, we could check if the key is set and if it’s not, we make it stop executing the code so it wont output any CSS. And if the key is set, we output the CSS code and change the key to something else. So basically, the CSS file won’t work without the index file, because that’s where the key is set.

Also it will be very nice to host the template demos on expertzzz.com and on the top of the page could be a template changer along with a add to cart button..

Let's encourage designers to make templates for Dolphin 7 by protecting their work..

Quote · 2 Jun 2009

So, am I hearing what you're saying is permissions cannot be set to make sure that the template cannot be reached without authorized access?

If that is the case, I think it's a good idea to find a way to protect the look and feel of a site. I know that when I work with templates, I go above and beyond for my clients, giving them true customization, and would hate all that hard work to be easily copied by someone else. *smiles*

Quote · 3 Jun 2009

Any folder/directory can be protected with .htacess, yet still allowing the script such as dolphin to function as normal whether it be direct access punching in your browser they will be denied or you can redirect them to somthing like the homepage if they punch in the address.

If they try to grab the files to your css or images they can be denied, but if they browse via the normal links everything works normal and they don't know the difference.

There are still some limitaions but you can do away with most of the leetchers with a simple .htaccess modification. Can't get them all but get some of the more curious.

Basically if I don't want someone to see my files/folder/or other I can hide them. If they try to access them directly even if they know the exact location and they punch it into their web browser I forward them back to the homepage. This way they can't steal them, download them or other, but they can still see them as a normal user.

My site is based on guides and I know we are not allowed to post clickable links anymore so here is a text link copy and paste into your browser and try it...try to access   this folder directly and you will see you are redirected back to the main site. This can be used in numerous locations and has many possibilities try to access a picture to the guide directly at:

dialme.com/guides/adsense-block/1.jpg

See what happens...you go to my main site you can't grab it. This can be used to hide or protect your mods, templates, and/or other dolphin content you don't want others to directly access all with a simple .htaccess modification that takes maybe 10 seconds.

or try my template directory in particular and see what happens at:

http://www.dialme.com/templates

boom right back to my homepage.

gameutopia

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 3 Jun 2009

Thanks, gameutopia. That was my understanding.

That said, though... most people who use this software will not know that, so the majority of users who buy custom templates will not know how to protect them, so they will make them vulnerable anyway.

Template creators could actually create something for Dolphin to protect their work, though.

Quote · 3 Jun 2009

You are right most of the creators don't really do this, mostly because it's an extra step or more work, and even many of them do not go the extra mile I guess you could call it. So bottom line is if the creator really goes to the extreme to protect their work. Not really sure that this is really a boonex issue, as the maker should really learn to protect their work. Boonex may make some suggestions, but really this isn't part or the deal. Look at wordpress, they really don't know squat they say here you go have fun, and those folks are really limited by their followers too.

At anyrate, never hurts to read up in these forums.  You can always learn something or help one anther.

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 3 Jun 2009

Yes, I've been reading a lot.

I agree it is not necessarily a developer issue. However, when developers take the time to create a sound plan for securing websites both intellectually as well as from hackers, the 3-rd parties tend to follow suit (since that will keep them in the community and make their product work better), and it ultimately benefits the (often clueless) end-user. *smiles*

Most end-users don't need to know all the programming stuff to appreciate benefits like:

Using XYZ development, we make sure that the design you create for your site is protected from theft.

Even if their design is something like changing 4 CSS colors - they still feel their work is worth preserving... and what is important to them, is important to the community as a whole. *smiles*

Quote · 4 Jun 2009

hi.

i need help. i am kinda having challenges to access the templates/css file folder or path. may you please help me locate the path. i am using dolphin 7.1

thanks

i know it kinda sounds dummy but i guess it a little challenging to me

Quote · 14 Mar 2015

hi.

i need help. i am kinda having challenges to access the templates/css file folder or path. may you please help me locate the path. i am using dolphin 7.1

thanks

i know it kinda sounds dummy but i guess it a little challenging to me

This isn't related to the original thread, so it would have been better to make a new one for this question. That said, templates are under /templates/[name] - where [name] is the name of the template. You should be able to browse with a FTP client. Template files can't be edited from within Dolphin, if that's what you've been hunting for.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 14 Mar 2015

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.