Dolphin for Less than Dummies... SHOULD BE LAW!!

OK, I am really confused about the process of cache and how it affects the uploading of a module. 

1. WHY is this not part of the Dolphin for Dummies book? STBW
  2. Do you just expect a person to know this?
  3. I have been here for years and over 1,000 posts and I think maybe have traversed this subject once maybe.
  4. IF IT IS TRUE AND IT APPEARS TO BE why in the world is it not in EVERY SINGLE MODULE directions to make sure it doesn't happen to those like me who are dedicated but never got that part?  TURN OFF ALL CACHE ENGINES BEFORE INSTALL!!
  5. Look what appears to be easy for most of you is not for others and this seems like such a major issue and I often thought it was my site and not a setting.  Apparently some developers are mystified by this as well and I will not mention names so don't assume but one was very pissed at me once because I had mentioned the cache "ON MY SITE" might cause issues in a post and was asking about it which is what I thought because I kept having issues with module uploads.  Once turning Cache to FILE all was well again with uploads. 
  6. FOR DOLPHIN SANITY sakes can someone give me the reader's digest version on why this is the case and perhaps many can benefit from knowing this very elusive detail.
  7. If you say it is in the library please just don't bother as you have to know the issue before you can look it up! Connecting the dot's can be a real issue when you think the software you are using has known issues as well!    
Csampson
Quote · 17 Nov 2012

It looks like you are talking about Memcache, this issue is covered here:

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/TutorialUnderstandingCacheEngines#Memcached

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 18 Nov 2012

Ok. Apparently only one kind of caching does this. So now that i know, i will answer your questions.

1) There is no book that i am aware of.
2) Nope. And i did not either.
3) I have never seen it.
4) Not the responsibly of the module or the developer. The install of the module is handled by dolphin. It handles clearing the caches. The module developer expects the installer will recompile and clear whatever caches it is suppose to. So if memcache has to be handled differently, then the installer itself should inform the admin if memcache is detected.
5) Apparently most are.
6) Not going to bother. I cannot provide detail specs of something i do not even understand.
7) True, but you also cannot know something without reading it somewhere. So which came first. The chicken or the egg?

However. Read the link AlexT sent and then you will know.

I should also point out that the UPLOADS as you put it is not the root of the problem. The caching has not affect at all on the upload process.

The root of the problem is caching cannot be cleared when using memcache. As part of the install of a module certain things have to be done. All modules normally add language keys, so languages get recompiled, some modules install alerts, so alerts have to be recompiled which requires the alerts cache be cleared. Some modules install injections, so the injection cache needs to be cleared. There are a little over 20 possible areas a module may need cleared. So unless it happens, the module will not work.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 18 Nov 2012

So I take it that you must be feeling a little better Deano

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 18 Nov 2012

Alex,

Thank you for the post and that was the page that helped me to get my cache settings correct.  I do however see nothing about the fact that the memcache if used will cause an issue when uploading a module.  If I remember right and I do all most all developers ask for you to clear cache post install not pre-install.

"This is a special memory cached server which does caching only. This is a very good variant when you have a cluster of webservers and you need to have one cache for all of them. It can be installed on a remote server and do caching only. Also, some webhosting companies offer Memcached servers with their webhosting plans.

It can help a lot if you have shared hosting or a Windows based server. If you have shared hosting, ask your hosting support if they offer a Memcached server with your plan. Also, if you have a dedicated or VPS Windows server, you can ask them to install it for you.

Please note - the clear cache function is not supported for this type of cache, but it clears all data after 1 hour by default. If you need to clear the cache now, then you need to switch to another cache type or disable it and after 1 hour switch back. Alternatively, you can restart a Memcached server"

Also there a numerous modules that require no clear of cache post install.  

FIRST INSTALLATION as an example did he put it in his programming?

1) Unzip the file
2) Upload the directory "ibdw" into the folder "/modules" on your site via FTP.
3) In the Dolphin administration go to TOOLS>> MODULES and in "Not Installed Modules", search and select "Photo Deluxe version X.X.X by IlBelloDelWeb.it", then click "Install"
4) Now you can see, in the left menu, the button "Activate PhotoDeluxe" that allows to require the activation code. In the first input box, enter the email address used to buy the module then send. When you receives the code, paste it in the second input box.

The point being that it obviously is not a hard and fast rule and one that should be known by newbie's or beyond.  A rule is applied to all a request is another but to have a lack of a rule or request only allows for confusion and uploads that at times will not work...

It looks like you are talking about Memcache, this issue is covered here:

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/TutorialUnderstandingCacheEngines#Memcached

Csampson
Quote · 18 Nov 2012

Let me clarify this a little bit:

Memcache cache can't be cleared in bulk - when you are trying to clear it manually via Clear All, DB, Templates, etc cache  - in this case error message appears that the cache can't be cleared.

When Memcache cache is cleared automatically upon module install - it is cleared one-by-one and there is no problem here, even if cache can't be cleared in this case - you will see an error in module installation.

As the result if you have problems with cache upon module installation/de-installation then the module is not clearing the necessary cache file - you need to ask module developer to fix this!

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 19 Nov 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.