Helpful 7.0.3 Upgrade Info

Let me start of by saying that I have a heavily modded site and this happened to be one of my most difficult upgrades yet. This isnt my first rodeo by no means, but here were some of the most obvious things that happened to me. I hope this will help any of you that are having the same issues:

- First attempt - Upgrade failed because of the Nickname_3 field (of course commenting this line out fixed that)

- Bottom member bar disappeared

- Forum displayed a blank page

- Lost the arrows next to Advanced Settings in the Admin Panel

- Admin Panel > Builders > Page Builders would not load nothing on any page I chose

- Forum Language would NOT compile no matter what (once I fixed the blank page issue)

Here is what I did to fix all of these issues:

CLEAR YOUR CACHE FOLDERS

- To fix the Forum "Blank Page" issue - I took a copy of the modules/boonex/layout/uni folder and made a copy of it. Renamed this copy to my template name and re-uploaded it. I then edited the params.php file inside my new template folder and replaced 3 occurrences of the word 'uni' with my template name. Refreshed the forum and it then displayed, but the language was compiled.

**** NEXT Step fixed ALL other problems listed above****

I used MyPhpAdmin (in cPanel) to go into my database, then opened the sys_options table

I clicked the SQL Tab and ran the following query:

SELECT * FROM `sys_options` WHERE Name LIKE '%cache%';

I edited the following fields below and removed the 'On' from the value and left it blank (** Note: This will disable all caching for now)

sys_template_cache_enable

sys_template_cache_css_enable

sys_template_cache_js_enable

sys_db_cache_enable

sys_pb_cache_enable

I then cleared my /cache (except for .htaccess) and /cache_public directories. Reloaded my browser and everything worked again. Im still in the process of making sure everything on the site works, but I would say that I am at least 95% done.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 1 Oct 2010

I made this post on October 1st hoping that it would help a few people with errors they were receiving on their sites. If you are receiving errors on your website after you have upgraded to 7.0.3, try the steps above.

You can do this from your Admin Panel as well by disabling the cache (remove checkmarks) here:

Admin Panel > Advanced Settings > Other

- Enable DB cache

- Enable page blocks cache

As some of you are already finding out, by disabling these cache options, alot of these common errors can be resolved. This also fixed an error being displayed whenever I would view someone's profile page, including my own.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 5 Oct 2010

I have Deano's Basic Black template, but I deleted that from the forum languages.  When trying to compile forum language, I get the message that the language compilation failed.  Did you delete the language files before or after compiling the languages?

Quote · 10 Oct 2010

I have Deano's Basic Black template, but I deleted that from the forum languages.  When trying to compile forum language, I get the message that the language compilation failed.  Did you delete the language files before or after compiling the languages?

For my template the forum procedure is a bit different. Zarcons procedure is for templates that do not have a compatible version. My template has been updated for dolphin 7.0.3 So first, get a new copy of the template from the market.

Next. Switch back to the UNI template as default because the default template must always be compiled first.

Next. Make sure step 5 from the dolphin 7.0.3 instructions as been done. This is a extremely important step. If not done, the forums will not work properly. Link to instructions below.

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/7.0.2-7.0.3

Now delete my template folder from module/boonex/forum/layout

Now upload a new copy of my template. Or at least modules/boonex/forum

Compile the UNI template first. Then switch to mine and compile that one.

And as zarcon pointed out, it is best to do this with all the caching options off.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 11 Oct 2010

I tried this both with your updated template in the layout folder and with it removed.  Both times I got the message [L[Language files compilation have been failed]].  The forums updated properly according to the admin panel and phpMyAdmin.  I can't see why it won't compile languages.

Quote · 11 Oct 2010

For my template the forum procedure is a bit different. Zarcons procedure is for templates that do not have a compatible version. My template has been updated for dolphin 7.0.3 So first, get a new copy of the template from the market.

Next. Switch back to the UNI template as default because the default template must always be compiled first.

Next. Make sure step 5 from the dolphin 7.0.3 instructions as been done. This is a extremely important step. If not done, the forums will not work properly. Link to instructions below.

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/7.0.2-7.0.3

Now delete my template folder from module/boonex/forum/layout

Now upload a new copy of my template. Or at least modules/boonex/forum

Compile the UNI template first. Then switch to mine and compile that one.

And as zarcon pointed out, it is best to do this with all the caching options off.

Thanks for this post!  This resolved an issue on my site.

Quote · 11 Oct 2010

I tried this both with your updated template in the layout folder and with it removed.  Both times I got the message [L[Language files compilation have been failed]].  The forums updated properly according to the admin panel and phpMyAdmin.  I can't see why it won't compile languages.

Does it also fail to compile with the UNI template? If so, you may have to take a more drastic step.

The only other reason i can think of that might cause this would be permission or ownership issues. Ownership issues occur when multiple FTP accounts are used to access the site. Only one FTP account should be used when working with dolphins files. And that will be the FTP account that matches the cpanal logon. The one your host had originally created. Many people will create a new ftp account via cpanal to give out to people they have working on the site, but this only leads to problems with file ownerships not matching, so it should not be done. More than one FTP account is useful if you have more than one website. Each website using a different FTP account. But never use more than one FTP account on the same website.

Anyhow. i posted this here. http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/topic/Compiling-orca-forum.htm

Repost of it below. This is a last resort option. In your case because you have 7.0.3 you use a copy for the 7.0.3 archive, not the 7.0.2 mentiond in my post.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ran into a issue with one of my sites after a upgrade from 7.0.0 to 7.0.2.

Turned out to be my own fault. I uploaded the upgrade scripts then i unpacked everything using my shell account which is a different user than my ftp account i normally use. This aparently caused a file ownership problem as well as a permission problem.

The only way i could resolve it was to switch back to the UNI template and completed remove the modules/boonex/forum folder and upload again via ftp from the full dolphin 7.0.2 zip file.

Then set permissions on the following folders in modules/boonex/forum to writable. (Mode 777)

classes
conf
layout
log
js
cachejs

Then i was able to recompile again. Then i switched back to my normal template, recompiled it and all my other templates.

The forums folders are very picky when it comes to permissions and ownership.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 11 Oct 2010

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.