Import From Ning?

I currently have a site http://www.manlandsite.com and Ning is tripling the price.  I am on a really short (5 days) time frame to migrate.  Is there a module that anyone knows of to assist with this after the archiver?

Quote · 22 Jul 2014

Nothing out there that you can buy and run, but I'm sure there's a developer out there who'd do it for the right price.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 22 Jul 2014

Five days is not a lot of time.  What does Ning give in the way of exporting your site?  You need to export both the database and the files that your members have uploaded (or let your members know that their files (such as photos) will not be carried over to the new site.  Realistically, you will not be getting a replacement site up in five days.  One thing to do is to have your member's email addresses so that you can send them a message when you do get the new site up.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 23 Jul 2014

RE:

I currently have a site http://www.manlandsite.com and Ning is tripling the price.  I am on a really short (5 days) time frame to migrate.  Is there a module that anyone knows of to assist with this after the archiver?

Tripling the price?  To what?

Their website lists their most expensive plan at $99.  You'll pay that much for a decent server to host a Dolphin site.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 24 Jul 2014

Ning has an exporter tool that pulls all the images down with a .json file to coordinate the files, posts, members etc.

I started with ning when it was free.  Then they changed to pay and we have been at $200 a year.  Now with the amount of members we have it is going to $600 a year.  I am on hostmonster with a pro account that I only pay $20 a month for and am hosting multiple websites on with unlimited everything.  Downside is no RMS...

We emailed all the members to gather their pictures and are starting over at this point.  There were quite few hardcore members in comparison with what we have so if we lost 3/4 of them it would still be fine since we make no money on the site anyway.  It is just a hobby and cool to meet new people..

As always THANKS!

Quote · 25 Jul 2014

I suggest that if you have a large number of active members that you might want to consider something other than shared hosting for Dolphin.

If you can export the database, then you probably can find someone on the forums that can import the Ning members table to the Dolphin Profile table.  One issue that you will encounter is the user password; you will need to know how a Ning password is stored versus how Dolphin encrypts and stores the user password.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 25 Jul 2014

I'm pretty sure you'll find out that Dolphin won't be a cheaper option. If you are making the move to save money, you may be in for a disappointment.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 25 Jul 2014

$20 a month for and am hosting multiple websites on with unlimited everything

You will also end up finding that the term unlimited is a marketing gimmick. There is no such thing as unlimited. When your hosting account becomes loaded you will find out the hard way.

$20 per month is not the price of a dedicated, so you either have shared or a VPS and those are both limited when it comes to server resources which you will not discover until the server is under load by several users online at at a time.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 25 Jul 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.