Is Dolphin the one?

Hey Boonex community!  My friend and I are trying to start an online community and have documented in a spread sheet what we are after (which I can email).  Basically, we are currently looking at Dolphin, VLDPersonals and Drupal.  Neither of us are PHP programmers and we aren't trust fund kids, so we need a package that does a lot out of the box.  I know html, some ASP and CSS, but that's it.

So if any of you pros would be willing to review our spreadsheet with desired functionality, that would be awesome.  Here are some of the basic questions I have:

1) how many people can this community support and be fast and stable (assuming hosting correct)?
2) can people create ads and pay for them like on facebook?
3) the personal profile....is it tough to add more fields than the defaults?
4) the sign up form - can this be customized easily?  We want a few pages of information gathering.
5) is there any way for people to post requests (like a job board) to the community?
6) searching, how well is this supported?

7) what is the PayPal type integration like?  we need to do automatic billing, etc.

Thanks so much to anyone willing to give feedback.

kyler d. boudreau

www.billyjoefishing.com

Quote · 29 May 2009

Kyler,

1) how many people can this community support and be fast and stable (assuming hosting correct)?
2) can people create ads and pay for them like on facebook?
3) the personal profile....is it tough to add more fields than the defaults?
4) the sign up form - can this be customized easily?  We want a few pages of information gathering.
5) is there any way for people to post requests (like a job board) to the community?
6) searching, how well is this supported?

7) what is the PayPal type integration like?  we need to do automatic billing, etc.

1) i dont think anybody can answer that. i have heard that there are sites with upwards of 10k http://www.iparents.com/ join there and see what that one holds.

2). i have not seen this mod, doesnt mean its not available, just means i havent seen it.

3). the personal profile can be easily modified from the admin panel.

4). the sign up form is very easily modified and customized

5). there is a forum, and there are classifieds, also i think there are a couple of mods over on expertzzz that would do that for you.

6). there was a whole thread about the search functions, quick, and advanced

7). paypal integration is a simple paypal call where your paypal account is setup as the recipient of the payment.

would like to see your full scope that you are looking for.

Regards,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 29 May 2009

cool man - thanks for the information!  i was on another forum and they were ripping dolphin v6 for sloppy coding.  what's your experience been?  i'd be happy to send you the spread sheet - just tell me where.  my email address is kylerboudreau@gmail.com.

THANKS.

Quote · 29 May 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.