Joined Groups and Events

I'm placing this in bug reports since it looks like nobody has a solution.  I've noticed that a member cannot see what groups/events they belong to unless they have created it themselves.  This is a massive problem on almost anybody's site.  I've also noticed one cannot unjoin a group after joining.  They can unsubscribe, but not "unjoin".

This is one of the reasons my site is not live yet.  I cannot go live unless users are able to get to the groups they belong to in a simple and easy way, such as "My Groups" (showing all group memberships, not just the one's they have created).

Some insight here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chri

Quote · 9 Jan 2010

I think the problem with groups is, that they really only work with a huge community.  Say you have 200 members in a starting community  - only a tiny proportion of the members will join any groups you set-up.  I wish there was a way to put group memberships on the join / edit profiles form- maybe as a dropdown menu.   I agree that members absolutely should be able to see what groups they belong to, and there should be an "unjoin" button.  Be aware though that both these things could be considered "features" and this could be an illegal conversation.

Quote · 9 Jan 2010

I see.  I understand that with a small community it could seem fruitless but with my implementation this is how information is passed through different sects of my site.  I aplogize if this is in the incorrect forum, perhaps a "Features Request" forum would be good.  Also is there a why to find out what boonex is working on for 7.1?

Quote · 9 Jan 2010

I think this is a bug - but the standards here are you have to be "definitely sure"  - so don't display any doubt as I did or someone who likes anal references will jump all over you.   I do like the idea of a "features" forum - it has been requested here before, as has a "newbie" forum.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Well what table does joined groups/events write to?  Perhaps I can scream at my monitor long enough to get it to work.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Bug??    Close enough..

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/1699

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 10 Jan 2010

How do we know when this issue is addressed?  I'd like to go live as soon as possible.

Thanks for the ticket BTW Alex.

Quote · 14 Jan 2010

atleast another 6-8 months for that to get fixed... i'm just sayin

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 18 Jan 2010

I just found this error yesterday :( really? another 8 months possibly? D:

Quote · 27 Jan 2010

Okay, I had this same problem.

I saw the ticket (1699) that houstonlively pointed out. And I saw the 3 changesets that that ticket referred to. I made all of the changes and checked 'em twice, for all items on all 3 changesets. The ticket is marked "fixed". After doing those revisions it said, some of the problems were corrected.

- The Join/Unjoin button is there, and works, for both Events & Groups. Good!

-There is now a Joined Events block on the profile page so you know which 'other peoples' events' you joined.

- But while there is a similar Joined Groups block in the Profiles page builder, it doesn't show on the Profiles page itself like the Events block does. Perhaps it doesn't show because it thinks the user is not in any groups. This seems to go along with what I noticed about Groups tables:

In the database there is a bx_events_participants where it shows the users who have joined the Event. But there is no corresponding "bx_groups_participants" or "bx_groups_members" in the table. Maybe I'm missing it. The place that seems to hold the data for those who join a group is the "bx_group_fans" table. So maybe this is a terminology thing...but to me the "fans" thing is different from the "member/participant" thing. Fans (in both Events & Groups) are just people who click "subscribe" so they can be emailed info about the event/group, they are not members...to be a "member" you have to click "Join" on an Event or Groups page. That makes you a member/participant and that data should be stored independently from the "Fan" data, right? But I see that after JOINING a group, the member is added to the 'fans' table. Hmmm.

In fact, I think this is interfering with the "fans" feature, because I keep testing it and it seems to get confused (says "subscribe" when I'm not a fan, and unsubscribe when I am).

I hope that wasn't too confusing, but it's straight in my own mind!! I am happy to be corrected about terminology if that's all it is, or some other thing that is just me. But since the group members data doesn't show in the Group Members block on the profile page, maybe there is still a problem here (not fixed). ??

Quote · 1 Feb 2010

Okay, I had this same problem.

I saw the ticket (1699) that houstonlively pointed out. And I saw the 3 changesets that that ticket referred to. I made all of the changes and checked 'em twice, for all items on all 3 changesets. The ticket is marked "fixed". After doing those revisions it said, some of the problems were corrected.

- The Join/Unjoin button is there, and works, for both Events & Groups. Good!

-There is now a Joined Events block on the profile page so you know which 'other peoples' events' you joined.

- But while there is a similar Joined Groups block in the Profiles page builder, it doesn't show on the Profiles page itself like the Events block does. Perhaps it doesn't show because it thinks the user is not in any groups. This seems to go along with what I noticed about Groups tables:

In the database there is a bx_events_participants where it shows the users who have joined the Event. But there is no corresponding "bx_groups_participants" or "bx_groups_members" in the table. Maybe I'm missing it. The place that seems to hold the data for those who join a group is the "bx_group_fans" table. So maybe this is a terminology thing...but to me the "fans" thing is different from the "member/participant" thing. Fans (in both Events & Groups) are just people who click "subscribe" so they can be emailed info about the event/group, they are not members...to be a "member" you have to click "Join" on an Event or Groups page. That makes you a member/participant and that data should be stored independently from the "Fan" data, right? But I see that after JOINING a group, the member is added to the 'fans' table. Hmmm.

In fact, I think this is interfering with the "fans" feature, because I keep testing it and it seems to get confused (says "subscribe" when I'm not a fan, and unsubscribe when I am).

I hope that wasn't too confusing, but it's straight in my own mind!! I am happy to be corrected about terminology if that's all it is, or some other thing that is just me. But since the group members data doesn't show in the Group Members block on the profile page, maybe there is still a problem here (not fixed). ??

I have just checked this functionality once again and it works !

Regarding "Subscribe"  - there are different tables for subscriptions - sys_sbs* tables.

User become fan/participant after join group/event.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 1 Feb 2010

Yes, after I uninstalled the Groups module, then reinstalled it, the "Joined Groups" did start to appear on my profile page. YES!!

As far as the stuff about 'fans', I just think it's a poor choice of terminology (that a Group member is called a "fan"). Once you accept that it makes a little more sense. I thought about changing the language keys to something better...not sure if I want to do that yet.

** But still, for me, when a user Subscribes to something, the page doesn't refresh to Unsubscribe. You have to refresh the page yourself! (I tried Profiles, Photos, Events, same thing). Is this something in my settings or is this one last part of this issue that needs to be fixed? This is not true of JOIN...when a user Joins, the page IS automatically refreshed to Leave, as it should be. It should be the same for both, no?

Thanks.

Quote · 2 Feb 2010

Yes, after I uninstalled the Groups module, then reinstalled it, the "Joined Groups" did start to appear on my profile page. YES!!

As far as the stuff about 'fans', I just think it's a poor choice of terminology (that a Group member is called a "fan"). Once you accept that it makes a little more sense. I thought about changing the language keys to something better...not sure if I want to do that yet.

** But still, for me, when a user Subscribes to something, the page doesn't refresh to Unsubscribe. You have to refresh the page yourself! (I tried Profiles, Photos, Events, same thing). Is this something in my settings or is this one last part of this issue that needs to be fixed? This is not true of JOIN...when a user Joins, the page IS automatically refreshed to Leave, as it should be. It should be the same for both, no?

Thanks.

Don't think that fan is really bad terminology for groups.  Maybe you intent to use groups for some other reason - then it maybe inappropriate.

Regarding subscriptions: the page is not reloaded because subscriptions in Dolphin is very universal, and subscription engine do not know context where it is called. It can be remake to pass some parameter to subscription engine to reload some page, but it will require a lot of remakes in each module - we can not do it now, the earliest time is in Dolphin 7.1

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 3 Feb 2010

RE:  As far as the stuff about 'fans', I just think it's a poor choice of terminology (that a Group member is called a "fan").

You could call them Groupies instead.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 3 Feb 2010

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.