Non-dating site with BoonEx

I've only recently been introduced to BoonEx and at first glance, it appears to be a very feature-rich and functional Community application. However, it appears that social introductions (dating) is the primary feature. Has anyone used BoonEx for a community where dating or social introductions aren't the main attractions? For example, what if someone wanted to start a community whose primary focus was getting people together for grass-roots political and economic discussions, information and events?

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

Dolphin is extremely well suited for what you are looking for... many sites have used it to build a non-dating specific community.

Daniel

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

Daniel, what are you smoking!  Dolphin is well suited as a dating site, but to tell a new user that it "extremely well suited" for non-dating sites is a stretch to say the least.  Those of us who have made business sites know how much work this has been.  Just getting rid of age and sex designations - inappropriate or even illegal in some business situations, is a big hassle requiring major modifications.  Hopefully this will improve in the next version- but I don't want skycor to be misled into thinking something is easy when it isn't.

-

Rob

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

I appreciate both of your replies. I look forward to seeing what version 7 has in store.

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

I've only recently been introduced to BoonEx and at first glance, it appears to be a very feature-rich and functional Community application. However, it appears that social introductions (dating) is the primary feature. Has anyone used BoonEx for a community where dating or social introductions aren't the main attractions? For example, what if someone wanted to start a community whose primary focus was getting people together for grass-roots political and economic discussions, information and events?

Here are some non-dating sites I've built with Dolphin:

www.iparents.com

www.filthyliar.com

www.e2citizen.com

www.soccerspace.com

I've got a set of tutorials at my www.BoonexNerd.com site to get your started. There is also a growing resource section that points to other sites that give Dolphin tutorials.

This forum has some excellent advice and is a great hub for info.

You can check out www.darrenpowless.com and www.dialme.com. Both those guys have some good Kung Fu skills using Dolphin.

...sip...

Updating my BoonexNerd.net site.
Quote · 13 Dec 2008

Daniel, what are you smoking! ...Rob

lol...omg that made me laugh...

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

your soccerspace is a really nice looking site!!!!  10+

Kids first
Quote · 13 Dec 2008

Thank you for that information. I perused the four sites that you've put together with Dolphin. I like the different layouts and themes. However, each of those sites still requires that "gender" be a part of the registration process. I would really like to get away from having to ask for gender.

The site www.darrenpowless.com is the only dolphin-powered site of those I've visited that seems to have really pared down the number of questions asked while registering, including gender:

darrenpowless_login

In addition, it generated an email that I had to open to confirm my registration. I like that feature! Although the captcha feature that is used by default also works well.

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

My BoonexNerd.com site does not ask for gender. See

http://www.boonexnerd.net/dolphin/join.php

To take out the gender, you just have to remove it from the fields builder.

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

your soccerspace is a really nice looking site!!!!  10+

:D Thanks!

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

Awesome! Thanks!

Quote · 13 Dec 2008

I've got a set of tutorials at my www.BoonexNerd.com site to get your started.

You can check out www.darrenpowless.com and www.dialme.com. Both those guys have some good Kung Fu skills using Dolphin.

Excellent!

Welcome to the WebResources section of my browser's Favorites!

Quote · 31 Jan 2009

Also checkout this site, this is a non-dating web site. www.av-techonline.com

There are none so blind as those that will not see.
Quote · 31 Jan 2009

non-dating

terabyte-hosting.com

naked-hosting.com

two webhosting platforms built using dolphin, the latter is still in progress.

Regards,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 31 Jan 2009

Also these three sites are no-dating

www.wphosting.nl
www.gopoint.nl
www.diaphragm.nl

regards
Killerhaai

Kids first
Quote · 31 Jan 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.