Other Hosting Options

Can anyone recommend other hosting options besides HostforWeb?

Quote · 26 May 2008

I am providing 100% working host for dolphin.

http://cpanel.happy-hosting.com

----
Quote · 26 May 2008

www.wattahost.com  works great for me

Quote · 28 May 2008

For Dolphin:

http://www.makeasocialnetwork.com/hosting/hostmonster

For info in general

http://www.goodwebhosting.org

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 28 May 2008

http://www.ixwebhosting.com has been good for me!

Quote · 28 May 2008

www.bluehost.com works terrific for me.  I tried HostforWeb instead of BlueHost, but they messed up my domain registration and account activation for days, so I cancelled and went back to what I knew best. :)

Quote · 29 May 2008

Hi,

Im new to this and I  am trying out HostforWeb. I cannot recommend any other hosts but I can tell you that I tried  to install  Dolphin at Godaddy, Netfirms and Doteasy and none of those sites offered the correct capabilities which is a shame because otherwise they have great prices and fair technical support.

So far im struggling getting Dolphin up at HostForWeb too. I wonder if anyone knows anyplace that has dolphin as a one click script install.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 29 May 2008

No, sorry...but it is very easy to install through ixwebhosting.com.

They have CPanel that you go through to administer Cron Jobs, phpmyadmin, webshell, everything is very simple for "beginners" and if you have a prob with something...you can go into a Live Chat with them anytime, day or nite and they will answer your questions or direct you to something specific.

I highly rate them!

Hi,

Im new to this and I  am trying out HostforWeb. I cannot recommend any other hosts but I can tell you that I tried  to install  Dolphin at Godaddy, Netfirms and Doteasy and none of those sites offered the correct capabilities which is a shame because otherwise they have great prices and fair technical support.

So far im struggling getting Dolphin up at HostForWeb too. I wonder if anyone knows anyplace that has dolphin as a one click script install.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 29 May 2008

Heyup,

I have my Dolphin working fine on HostForWeb now. Turns out my problem was I had only bought hosting and until I set my domain up to point at the host site it was creating some setup errors in the install.

Now the domains points to my host account all is good. I have also noticed that my pages load up about 3 times faster than any of my sites at Godaddy. So far I am impressed with Hostforweb.

I would be interested if anyone has had any problems with Hostforweb just so I can keep an eye on things.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 1 Jun 2008

The problems with Hostforweb aren't performance or price... they are security issues. You will find several threads on here where people found hacker's files placed in all their "777" directories while using HFW.

Either spam mass mailers or re-directs to the hackers site... both with serious results, the spam will get you shut down and the re-directs will get you banned from Google.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 2 Jun 2008

Hi,

Cheers

Max

DosDawg can get you affordable hosting, excellent support, and will install dolphin for you. please contact us.

later,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 3 Jun 2008

If you have to have the file permission set "777" for the code to work, then why would it matter if your on HFW or someone else?

Quote · 4 Jun 2008

HFW has PHP running as a module... most other hosts have it running as a CGI binary. There are slight differences in both and one of the differences is who is set as the "owner" of files and directories. The way HFW has it makes it possible for hackers to write to those directories, that is why EVERY post you find on here where someone has found hackers files in their 777 directories was using HFW.

Quote · 4 Jun 2008

Here is the reply from HFW:

those post are obviously made by users that have no basic concept of how things work.

HFW does not set users directories on 777 permissions, the scripts they install make such directories, or the users themselves. Yes we can disable that, but then users won't be able to run scripts that require such permissions. Solution for this problem is restrictive access to those folders in a way of .htaccess file that would disable .php .pl and .cgi script from being run from there.

But users, or the script makers need to ensure that themselves, because there is no way that we can detect if some script makes directory with 777 permission, or specific users does that.

Making PHP run trough CGI does not make your directory secure.

So in one sentence, the problem is poorly designed script.

Quote · 4 Jun 2008

Clayton...your last sentence is this what hfw told you "So in one sentence, the problem is poorly designed script."

Scripts that do require any kind of upload for apache module will require 777 permission. This is the way apache module works. Is it totally secure? Absolutely not, but if you want to run any script as with an apache module server this is just how it is. Your host will do what they can, they do not recommend setting 777's but if you want to upload anything to a folder or directory this is generally what is required. Yes hackers can get into your 777 folder/directory's it the host doesn't know what they are doing or is not properly setup.

Cgi is much more secure. Yes it is slightly slower, and yes it is not hacker proof either. However if you can find a host that can handle dolphin that runs in this matter I would certainly take this over apache module setup. Some will disagree including hosts that run apache as module.

If you are new to hosting cgi to go. Apache is not out of the question I run a few myself but I do watch it much more than my suphp/cgi setups by far.

At any rate either route you go you should always keep up and always read and learn as much as you can about security and protection.

I am creating a site that is only barely getting started, but there is some dolphin hosting info. I either use them or have in the past check them out if you get a chance. Also feel free to contact me.

http://www.dialme.com/index.php?module=PostWrap&page=dolphinhosting

gameutopia

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 4 Jun 2008

That is the same thing HFW support told me after it happened to me... "tell the script maker to not use 777 directories". That is also ALL they could tell me.. not how it happened or any info about the person that did it. Sort of ironic that Boonex has links all over to HFW but HFW techs are QUICK to tell you Dolphin isn't coded correctly.

But my challenge to you is to search the forum here and at expertzzz and find ONE time it happened and the person WASN'T using HFW. Also, if they are so sure there is no difference why are all the major hosts doing it the OTHER way?

Quote · 4 Jun 2008

www.bluehost.com works terrific for me.  I tried HostforWeb instead of BlueHost, but they messed up my domain registration and account activation for days, so I cancelled and went back to what I knew best. :)

I use www.bluehost.com as well and its greate...the amount of storage space, band width and the other option just under the virual hosing is awesome..

not one to promote someone else business but bluehost does provide excelent service interms of support and options.

Quote · 4 Jun 2008

Glad to here bluehost works good for you Robin. Another rare case of dolphin working without any issues. These are few and far between. I wish you much dolphin success and hope to see you around.

gameutopia

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 4 Jun 2008

Hi,

Okay just a quick post. I want to rescind my recommendations for Host For Web. Too many problems. I now use Hostmonster and so far they have been great. Cheers to mscott for that recommendation.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 11 Jul 2008

I use www.bluehost.com as well and its greate...the amount of storage space, band width and the other option just under the virual hosing is awesome..

not one to promote someone else business but bluehost does provide excelent service interms of support and options.

just checking in here robin, isnt this the same host which has security vulnerabilities where you just posted you were hacked. dont think i would want my site on such a server.

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 11 Jul 2008

Careful of BlueHost as reported by Robin  I think my site was hacked Major Security Vulnerabilities are suspected on the Server. so be careful of those who use shared hosting, and dont have a proven track record. just thought i would post this since there are many who come here looking at a hosting solution for shared hosting on dolphin. there are many who have economical servers, that do not really have a sysadmin for that server. this needs to be ascertained when you are asking questions about $1.99 hosting accounts.

later,

DosDawg

Quote · 11 Jul 2008

Blue Host is also HostMonster - should we be worried about hostmonster then?

I have noticed the error MySQL database has gone away severeal times on Hostmonster...

Can I ask the question. Is it ever recommended to use shared Hosting for Dolphin.

Bearing in mind I simply use Dolphin as a payment wrapper for Orca - no groups, classifieds, ray etc

Cheers

Max

Quote · 20 Jul 2008

My foundation can also host Dolphin sites for Netherlands and Belgium.  We have a dedicated server with backup.

I have now 2 dolphins running, thirt on his way...

maximum 10 gb space
data transfer: fair use
monthly price: euro: 39,95

sub-domains: unlimeted
Go to wphosting.nl for info. Wink

Kids first
Quote · 20 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.