PKForum Support (DolphinHelp) - part 6

Quote · 8 Jun 2016

I seem to have messed things up rather badly. Firstly I downloaded the latest package for PK Forum from the Boonex Store and tried to apply that. Afterward I found the super secret download area and downloaded the packages from there. 

Point - if the latest and relevant packages are NOT in the Boonex store why not at least put a signpost in that area telling people of this useful fact? Even a file in the download folder would have sufficed. ;)

So, I tried using the new files and ran upgrades but the file number on the dashboard is resolutely stuck at 1.1.0 and when I try to visit the PK Forum settings page the pages there are blank. Incidentally, when running the first upgrade package the page returns a message telling me that I am already at 1.1.0, when using the next package the page stays blank, no message.

Firstly, how can I solve this issue and get an upgraded version of PK Forum on my testbed 7.3 installation?

Secondly, a more general point, why oh why can't mod upgrades work in a similar fashion to those on WordPress where I can't remember, for years, having had to do sequential version or patch upgrades. The current system is akin to a witch doctor chucking chicken bones on the ground, dancing around them, and then telling us that the patient is dead and that a new chicken is needed.

Thanks!

Andrew.

PS. where are we with module integration?

Quote · 8 Jun 2016

Quick question.

Does the pkforum script know not to display more than 3 Adsense ads on a page (between posts)?

Google won't show more than 3 ads per page, but I'm curious if the adsense code is called on more than 3 times or does pkforum know to stop at 3 ad requests.

Reason I ask is that I allow up to 20 posts before pagination. If I want to show a Google ad every 3 posts, pkforum should know to stop requesting ads after the 9th post on that page.

Thanks!

Quote · 9 Jun 2016

installing on new site and get this error (7.3)

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /**/modules/dh/pkforum/classes/DHPKForumDb.php on line 406

Quote · 9 Jun 2016

installing on new site and get this error (7.3)

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /**/modules/dh/pkforum/classes/DHPKForumDb.php on line 406

Upgrade to at least php 5.4

so much to do....
Quote · 9 Jun 2016

Quick question.

Does the pkforum script know not to display more than 3 Adsense ads on a page (between posts)?

Google won't show more than 3 ads per page, but I'm curious if the adsense code is called on more than 3 times or does pkforum know to stop at 3 ad requests.

Reason I ask is that I allow up to 20 posts before pagination. If I want to show a Google ad every 3 posts, pkforum should know to stop requesting ads after the 9th post on that page.

Thanks!

That code block is not just for adsense and every ad provider is gonna have different policies. I guess giving more gaps between posts is the only option for now.

so much to do....
Quote · 9 Jun 2016

I seem to have messed things up rather badly. Firstly I downloaded the latest package for PK Forum from the Boonex Store and tried to apply that. Afterward I found the super secret download area and downloaded the packages from there. 

Point - if the latest and relevant packages are NOT in the Boonex store why not at least put a signpost in that area telling people of this useful fact? Even a file in the download folder would have sufficed. ;)

So, I tried using the new files and ran upgrades but the file number on the dashboard is resolutely stuck at 1.1.0 and when I try to visit the PK Forum settings page the pages there are blank. Incidentally, when running the first upgrade package the page returns a message telling me that I am already at 1.1.0, when using the next package the page stays blank, no message.

Firstly, how can I solve this issue and get an upgraded version of PK Forum on my testbed 7.3 installation?

Secondly, a more general point, why oh why can't mod upgrades work in a similar fashion to those on WordPress where I can't remember, for years, having had to do sequential version or patch upgrades. The current system is akin to a witch doctor chucking chicken bones on the ground, dancing around them, and then telling us that the patient is dead and that a new chicken is needed.

Thanks!

Andrew.

PS. where are we with module integration?

It seems you have a messed up install at this point. I suggest exporting the database from "PKForum -> Manage installation" page then re-install the module and import it back. I will add an upgrade.txt in the zip at Boonex.

so much to do....
Quote · 9 Jun 2016

Is there a way to input a list of predefined categories and forum topic into the database for pkforum?

For example: Say I had a csv file that listed all the breeds of canines and I wanted separate forums for each breed.

Vunderba..... Challenge Yourself to be the Best...... Hosting from Zarconia.net
Quote · 14 Jul 2016

Is there a way to input a list of predefined categories and forum topic into the database for pkforum?

For example: Say I had a csv file that listed all the breeds of canines and I wanted separate forums for each breed.

Not by default ofc. You will need to get a script to insert data into the database from csv.

so much to do....
Quote · 15 Jul 2016

Just a quick css question on forum posts.

When a user types in several paragraphs, there is no space between the end of one paragraph and a new one. I can't seem to find the right css file to add something like a line height between paragraphs, so people reading posts can tell it's a new paragraph. Once someone hits "enter" to end a paragraph, there should be a larger vertical space.

Thanks.

PS: like the vertical space between my paragraphs in this post.

Quote · 26 Aug 2016

Just a quick css question on forum posts.

When a user types in several paragraphs, there is no space between the end of one paragraph and a new one. I can't seem to find the right css file to add something like a line height between paragraphs, so people reading posts can tell it's a new paragraph. Once someone hits "enter" to end a paragraph, there should be a larger vertical space.

Thanks.

PS: like the vertical space between my paragraphs in this post.

You can add something like

.pkforum-topic-posts-content p {
    margin-bottom: 30px;
}

in pkforum/templates/base/css/topic.css 

so much to do....
Quote · 27 Aug 2016

I love that product, but I miss one functionality:

MERGING TOPICS Frown

Is there any possibility to have such finctionality?

Quote · 17 Oct 2016

Lost my user ID and pass as i switched email companies and cannot retrieve the information to access my account ..... please contact me directly  albarnes@ottawalive.com

Quote · 28 May 2017

PKForum is no longer available for sale.

Licensing system has been removed from the module so all customers need to download the updated package before 30th May 2018, as the activation server will be removed after that. Replace these files if you can't do a full replacement.

pkforum/request.php
pkforum/classes/DHPKForumAdmin.php
pkforum/classes/DHPKForumModule.php
pkforum/templates/base/admin_manage.html

Support will be provided to all customers until another major dolphin version release, version 8 or version 10/leap, whatever that is.

Thank you to all our customers who bought it and we're sorry for not being able to continue development on this anymore.

http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com
Quote · 27 Mar 2018

Total bummer.

How do we convert our pkforum data back to the default dolphin forum??

Quote · 27 Mar 2018

Not at this time, but when the new major version is released we might look into converting the data back to whatever default forum it comes with.

http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com
Quote · 27 Mar 2018

At some point all pkforum users will need to be able to convert our data back to dolphin forum or it'll all be lost. That'll make a lot of users, including me, upset.

Quote · 27 Mar 2018

Now that UNA is out and gaining popularity will there be something in the works so we that have been using PKForum for the past years? Will have a way of saving our forums if we decide to upgrade to UNA?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a lot to loose if no ability to convert or update PKForum will not be available soon.

www.CycleMadness.net
Quote · 16 Feb 2019

I'm moving all my forums from PKForum to UNA Discussions manually. What a pain in the a**, but it looks like I don't have a choice. Finally learning phpmyadmin and mysql databases (that's the sunny side). Should take a few weeks to complete. Very tedious.

Wish there was an easier way.

Quote · 25 Feb 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.