Question to the admins; how many files changed?

Just how many files changed in the move from 7.3.5 to 7.4.x?  All of them?  Half of them?  I guess I could try to do a directory compare between the upgrade patch and the full download.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 6 May 2019

That's my gripe. Every Module has been changed because a single line stating the version number has been updated. What a load of garbage. In all honesty, who cares?

A patch should contain nothing more than the changed files and a SQL query. Why make a five minute job a painful two hour ordeal?

Example:

1. Replace the following files.......

2. Run the following SQL query.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah - back up your database first.

Quote · 6 May 2019

I was referring to the core php files.  However, I agree that having the module version change when no real changes to the module were made is not the best way.  I have to check each module directory just in case it wasn't a simple sql query to update the module number to match the version number.

Quote · 7 May 2019

A lot. I am sure they did not keep track of a file count.

But just the change in classes to change name to __construct for php7, there were 869 files just from that one change alone.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 7 May 2019

A lot. I am sure they did not keep track of a file count.

But just the change in classes to change name to __construct for php7, there were 869 files just from that one change alone.

I keep fielding questions about upgrading.  I ask in return, do you have custom code changes?  Some will report yes but they have no idea what files were changed.  Developers will often change files without indicating anything.  If they just put in a simple // Changed by .... or // Added by ....  with the developer's name then one can do a search on the files for that developer's name.  I don't want to touch 7.4.x upgrades unless the user has no custom code changes outside of module installs.  With the modules, I can ask for the module's installation instructions to see if that module required code changes to the files.  Also, the upgrade is cheap, updating all the third party modules; installing the latest compatible version is where the cost is.

I bailed out of an upgrade yesterday because of the large number of third party modules; some I am sure don't have a 7.4.x release.  I told the person that first we need to make sure of the modules compatibility with 7.4.x before we start.

Quote · 7 May 2019

These figures contain Core, Binary and Modules. It would be a little harder to isolate the modules, but if they've also changed, I guess one needs to know:

• 2 redundant files
  • 42 new files
  • 2442 php/html/js files are identical
  • 808 binary files are identical
  • 986 Js, XML, PHP etc, are different

I used WinMerge to get this information. It also tells you what the changes are.

As I don't have any means of collecting the file names, I could supply screen shots if you need to know. It would probably be quicker to install WinMerge however.

Some of the files have one or two changes. This is Photos/classes/BxPhotosPageView.php

changed files.jpg · 31.5K · 250 views
Quote · 8 May 2019

Yes, I have used WinMerge when I was on Windows.  On Linux there is Meld.  Between the two, I think I like WinMerge better and have been thinking of seeing how it runs under WINE.  I also prefer another Windows proggy for programming; PsPad and it does run well under WINE; sometimes it will lock up but it is rare for it to do so.

Quote · 8 May 2019

This is a list of all the 869 File Names and the Line #'s of the __construct instances.

Search "__construct" (1684 hits in 869 files)

construct instances.txt · 158K · 1410 downloads
Quote · 9 May 2019

That's probably not the end of it. There maybe other minor or significant changes as well.

Quote · 10 May 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.