Try UNA... it's better than Dolphin. - part 2

Quote · 24 Nov 2018

No one will ever be happy.

Where would you all be if there were no Boonex or Andrew Boon?

Give the man a break, such discontent for the provider that got us where we are. Those that complain so much I just don't understand it.

learn UNA, I did it long ago and have never looked back.

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 24 Nov 2018

No one will ever be happy.

Where would you all be if there were no Boonex or Andrew Boon?

Give the man a break, such discontent for the provider that got us where we are. Those that complain so much I just don't understand it.

learn UNA, I did it long ago and have never looked back.

UNA may serve a purpose for many people.  However, the discontent is for the way that Andrew Boon has handled everything, his constantly changing position and also what some of us feel is downright deception. Now he has completely change the Dolphin site and posting such crap as the Dolphin solution is UNA.  No, Dolphin is a platform that IS A SOLUTION.  I will give here and say that UNA may be a solution but Dolphin is equally a solution that many of us prefer over UNA.   We are not idiots and we see clearly what Andrew Boon is trying to do and that does upset many of us that prefer the Dolphin solution over the UNA solution; we have supported Boonex for many years now free of charge while Andrew Boon made money.  The support that many of us have provided in the forums here is worth a great deal if Andrew Boon had to purchase that support.  Andrew Boon has sown a great deal of ill will and the changing of the Dolphin site has done a lot of harm to Boonex as a company.  Many have simply walked away from Boonex completely.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 24 Nov 2018

I'm not a pro developer but how difficult can it actually be? That question do i asking my self everytime i opening the Una to figure out how to do things there. When i open up the Dolphin everything is so user friendly and i can easy figure out how to do things. No problem at all. 

The only thing i have manage to do is install the Una thats it. I haven't manage to figure out how to insert a new category in the forum yet. I can't even figure out how to manage things on the front-page.

I realy would try to start with Una and keep going with it but why make it so difficult? Why not cal the forum Forum instead. Why change the name? For me English is not my first language so can't figure out wich one actually is the forum, is it the discussion or conversations in the admin panel? Why make it so difficult?

Quote · 27 Nov 2018

It occurred to me today that if we were to post our problems on the UNA forum, we may attract a few disgruntled UNA users who don't know much about Dolphin.

I'm not one for flaming, but posting our concerns about UNA here are only endorsing what most people who read this forum already know. Those concerns may have more impact on the other side.

I don't read the UNA forum because there's nothing there to interest me. A quick glance did indicate that a number of people are having problems, but I wonder if those people are aware of a viable and proven alternative? We certainly do, we get told daily!

Quote · 27 Nov 2018

All the day i trying to make Una work for my localhost. Andrew say i can download the latest version on Github and get all the apps for free. Ok so i did right here

https://github.com/unaio/una

Ok this version give all the apps for free. 

Now say there is a upgrade version for this version and how to upgrade right here

https://github.com/unaio/una/wiki/Upgrade

They say look in to my 

Go to Studio > Dashboard then click/tap Upgrade

So i did but can't find any upgrade buttons there.

But how hard can it be so i download the latest version here

https://github.com/unaio/una/releases

I install the latest version and now all my free apps are gone.

Litle bit scary to continue with Una and next day you upgrade all the free Apps are gone in your installation

But maybe this is only for the localhost.

Quote · 27 Nov 2018

UNA updates; I was told that one can manually update UNA.  However, I attempted to do so and could find no way to manually update, no script to run to update.  I am assuming that if an update of UNA requires changes to the database that an update script would be provided to manage the database changes.  I am still in the dark as to how one is suppose to update UNA without using the built-in update feature that actually requires you to have licences to any "power" app in order for them to update.

I am guessing that you can't update the GitHub without losing the so called "power apps." available if you use GitHub.  You probably have to reinstall everything.  Which could be done if there were no changes to the database structure; you would just import the database that you saved before reinstalling.  However, if there were changes to the database, you are probably SOL.

Quote · 27 Nov 2018

You can install modules manually by download them from the market (for example - https://una.io/page/download-product?id=143) and uploading manually to modules/boonex/ (or other) folder. After module is uploaded you can install it via Studio > Apps Market > Downloaded

But modules will not be updating, it's better to connect your site to the una.io so you'll be able to easily download apps and they will be easily updated.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 28 Nov 2018

Thank you! Finally i got it to work. 

You can install modules manually by download them from the market (for example - https://una.io/page/download-product?id=143) and uploading manually to modules/boonex/ (or other) folder. After module is uploaded you can install it via Studio > Apps Market > Downloaded

But modules will not be updating, it's better to connect your site to the una.io so you'll be able to easily download apps and they will be easily updated.

Quote · 28 Nov 2018

Now that I've started my site, I'm quite impressed actually. It's new and works well on PHP 7. And a lot of new features. I am impressed. Now I'm just waiting for Modzzz to update his modules to work on Una so I get the same as on Dolphin. Thank you Andrew for Una.

Quote · 28 Nov 2018

I'm quite impressed actually. It's new and works well on PHP 7. And a lot of new features. I am impressed.

That's what I been saying for a while.

Seasoned users here know how much I used and liked D, I still like it and see the uses for it. I've also spent $$ on modules that I now cannot use. I do see me one day using them on UNA hopefully soon. If not it is a monetary loss but we've all lost invested money on a few things in life.

I just found that the end users are the one's who made my decision for my switch. I gave them two options, D site and U site years ago. I've also posted close to 7.5K post here. I hope to use D again for some sites when the switch to PHP 7 happens.

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 29 Nov 2018

Yeah! All sounds great but . . . .

Pouring water into a sinking ship instead of bailing it out will only help it to sink, albeit a bit slower. 

Dolphin should have, and could have been PHP 7 compatible months ago if Andrew Boon and his cronies focused on the flagship and not some new toy seen as an opportunity to make them more money.

Before we all forget, the so-called "Boonex Team" couldn't even get out an update to fix Google's very minor Captcha changes. In the meantime one of the so-called "team" did very well selling a $15 module to overcome the problem. For most users however, the chaos was ignored by Boonex management for far too long and we were left to our own defences.

Had Boonex eaten just a small slice of humble pie, they could have said "Guys, we need a bit of a cashflow boost and we're wondering if you could make a small ($15) donation to help us develop the Captcha upgrade (not update) sooner than later."

PHP7 is also an upgrade and not something that Boonex is responsible for. As such, it's not unreasonable for a small company that seems to do most of its work from the family lounge or mobile phones whilst on vacation to ask for a bit of help.

One of my clients with a mere 450 members recently did something similar and received over $500. What could Boonex do when they have "thousands" of loyal customers?

So to put my money where my mouth is, I'm offering to pay $50 ($25 from one client and $25 from me personally) to see you turn your heads our way for once and focus on making what should be your flagship product PH7 compatible.

Any other volunteers?

Quote · 30 Nov 2018

So to put my money where my mouth is, I'm offering to pay $50 ($25 from one client and $25 from me personally) to see you turn your heads our way for once and focus on making what should be your flagship product PH7 compatible.

I agree with you! I am allso willing to pay a yearly payment to be able to download updates to Doplhin. So why didn't they make license to download updates for Dolphin. Because most users can download Una and Dolphin for free and with some knowledge they can rip the the license from Dolphin and recive updates yearly for free.

So i don't understand why they never done this instead. For me i dont even understand how they even can make money on Una right now. Maybe Andrew is so rich after Dolphin and he is willing to give Una and all the Apps for free all the life.

Am litle bit scare of transfer to Una. What will happen in the future, right now i use most of the Apps for free but will that continue in the future. There is actauly a price on every Apps i have download for free now but will that continue in the future or is this a little trick to attract users to Una and then change everything to start charging for all Apps. 

And there is now Apps for Una right now. Where is all the developers? Where are you Modzzz? Maybe they can't upload there Apps on Una markets?

Quote · 30 Nov 2018

Yeah! All sounds great but . . . .

Pouring water into a sinking ship instead of bailing it out will only help it to sink, albeit a bit slower. 

Dolphin should have, and could have been PHP 7 compatible months ago if Andrew Boon and his cronies focused on the flagship and not some new toy seen as an opportunity to make them more money.

Before we all forget, the so-called "Boonex Team" couldn't even get out an update to fix Google's very minor Captcha changes. In the meantime one of the so-called "team" did very well selling a $15 module to overcome the problem. For most users however, the chaos was ignored by Boonex management for far too long and we were left to our own defences.

Had Boonex eaten just a small slice of humble pie, they could have said "Guys, we need a bit of a cashflow boost and we're wondering if you could make a small ($15) donation to help us develop the Captcha upgrade (not update) sooner than later."

PHP7 is also an upgrade and not something that Boonex is responsible for. As such, it's not unreasonable for a small company that seems to do most of its work from the family lounge or mobile phones whilst on vacation to ask for a bit of help.

One of my clients with a mere 450 members recently did something similar and received over $500. What could Boonex do when they have "thousands" of loyal customers?

Any other volunteers?

Yes, I would be in.  I would be in if Boonex will stop now on UNA; they just release one more RC so Boonex could take a break from UNA while the people using UNA tests for bugs and compile a list.  There is no reason at this time that Boonex could not finish updating the code of Dolphin for php 7 and release it before releasing another UNA RC.

Quote · 30 Nov 2018

And there is now Apps for Una right now. Where is all the developers? Where are you Modzzz? Maybe they can't upload there Apps on Una markets?

I spoke with Modzzz and he has to learn the code base of UNA; while similar, there are enough differences in functions and classes and the way modules are handled that he has to learn first.  It may be several months before he ports any module over, he has to learn, then make the code changes, and then test before any releases; so be patient my friend.

Quote · 30 Nov 2018

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.