Big shout out to Zarconia!

I just want to thank those folks at Zarconia.

Deano released a fix for rotated images from mobile devices and the web stack was missing the module.

Well, Zarconia fixed it by recompiling their web stack to allow this fix to work!

I don't know if other hosts would actually go thru the trouble for a dolphin site like these guys do.

Thanks much!

http://www.mytikibar.com
Quote · 30 May 2014

Thanks for the kind words! We'll make sure all our servers (shared and dedicated) have the necessary extension from now on.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 30 May 2014

and the web stack was missing the module.

Could you please elaborate on this statement?

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 30 May 2014

It's the term we use to refer to Apache, MySQL, and PHP. In this case, we needed to rebuild PHP to add the necessary extension for the mod to work.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 30 May 2014

What extension was missing?

GD? I thought that was pretty much default on most all hosting.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 30 May 2014

What extension was missing?

GD? I thought that was pretty much default on most all hosting.

Exif.

Quote · 30 May 2014

Ah. Ok, i'll have to add that extension check.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 30 May 2014

It's the term we use to refer to Apache, MySQL, and PHP. In this case, we needed to rebuild PHP to add the necessary extension for the mod to work.

Nathan, I set up dedicated servers from nothing, and I prefer Nginx over Apache, even Apache 2.4 which if you try to run you have to leave out things that are not yet written for Apache 2.4.  What I wanted to know was what was missing that you had to add as I might have to check the WHM/cPanel site for that missing extension.  However, you have already stated what was missing in the reply to Deano.

Thanks for the information.

Quote · 30 May 2014

Nathan, I set up dedicated servers from nothing, and I prefer Nginx over Apache, even Apache 2.4 which if you try to run you have to leave out things that are not yet written for Apache 2.4.  What I wanted to know was what was missing that you had to add as I might have to check the WHM/cPanel site for that missing extension.  However, you have already stated what was missing in the reply to Deano.

Thanks for the information.

Apologies, I misunderstood your post. Didn't mean to insult you!

Quote · 30 May 2014

I would like to echo Nathan's post and thank you for the kind words Steve :)

Nothing to see here
Quote · 31 May 2014

And I am glad I brought it to others attention.

That mod Deano did works great!  Solved the sideways issue on my site. 

http://www.mytikibar.com
Quote · 31 May 2014

Exif is fairly common nothing new there. Geek_girl do you get that many page views at any given time to justify using nginx? I have tested nginx numerous times. It is a nice light weight web server with a lot more potential than the average person probably realizes, but for most users Apace 2.2x or 2.4x will server up more than enough requests per second. It's almost not worth messing with. And, what you lose is in terms of Apache modules and such is confusing for the average user. You really would need tons of traffic to justify making the switch. I am not against it, but it's just not something the average website needs to consider.

I can't think of any Dolphin sites right off hand that have enough traffic that would make it worth switching. The speed improvements are almost none unless you get up into the thousands per second category.

The rewrite rules and nginx cofiguration in general is a challenge for the average user. Where as Apache it's all done and ready to roll.

Bottom line is Nginx is nice and has a lot of potential for a high traffic site, or someone into the technical details. Otherwise it's almost not worth the effort for the very minimal improvements if any for the average site.

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 7 Jun 2014

Nginx is better as far as speed and scalability ... Also; Apache uses a lot of RAM compared.

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
Quote · 7 Jun 2014

I find Nginx is a joy to work with.  Easy to implement, easy to add server blocks, easy to take them out, the rewrite rules are no harder or easier than Apache rewrites; configuring Nginx is easy; cloning a site takes only a few minutes to set up and Nginx is better for sites that stream media content from their servers.  I have worked with both Apache (webmin control panel) and Nginx (webmin control panel) servers and I prefer Nginx.

Quote · 7 Jun 2014

Many people find Ngnix is very easy to configure compared ...

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
Quote · 7 Jun 2014

I don't know about a joy, but do able maybe.

I am curious what you folks that are using Nginx are running for an operating system? Type ie centos, ubuntu, other. 32/64 bit, how much cpu power you have available, php version, mysql version, ram available, using vps or dedicated, port speed, etc.

I find that speed and performance will vary almost extremely. Most of the speed performance differences that I have tested at the current time is based on mysql 5.1.x vs. 5.5.x. A 5x to 10x speed improvement.

As a long time centos user I am leaning towards ubuntu lately because they seem to push out more up to date versions compared to centos. I love centos, but they lag way behind, but they go for stability.

Guess your control panel, or management might play a factor.

I have tested multiple centos and ubuntu recently along with different php and mysql apache and nginx. There are some major speed and performance differences that range from slight to significant.

Maybe I will publish them when I get a chance, but I am just wondering what you others run and experience?

Personally I always choose a 32 bit system if it's 2 GB ram or less because it will free up more available ram on a limited system. If it's above that then I will choose 64 bit.

I read a thread the other day where a guy installed ubuntu 13.x 64bit on a 512 mb system. What a total waste installing 64 bit. I am surprised the thing even loaded at all with that setup. He could have easily shaved 15-30%.

Honestly I would use Nginx more often if there was a much easier way to install it with yum/apt-get along with modsecurity and modsecurity crs rule sets like you can with Apache. Since you can't, and it is a pain in the ass to build Nginx from the source with modsecurity, not to mention the csr rule sets I prefer Apache for that.

One of these days I will also upload and post some automation scripts for server related automation and dolphin. Not sure when I will get around to that. Mostly haven't decided if I should do them for free or not.

DialMe.com - Your One and Only Source For Boonex Dolphin Tutorials and Resources
Quote · 14 Jun 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.