Cannot keep emails from being when matching on

There is no way that I know of, to "cupid" from sending out matching email if "matching" is set to on in advanced settings.  Some people want the profile matching system, but don't want those alerts going out to their member base everytime someone edits their profile.  This has come up in several threads most recently this one: http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/?action=goto&my_threads=1#topic/matching-.htm

I suppose it might occur to someone to say that the ability to turn off these alerts is really a feature, but I hate having those things go out - it is essentially spam, and I would like an "off" button.   If some has a workaround on this I will try it, but so far no one has come up with one.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Well, i D6 we just needed to kill the cupid cron job.

I'll have to look at D7's cron file. See if it can be shut off from there.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Nope. That just pulls queued jobs from the database. I'll have to look elsewhere.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Hi Deano - I don't think any of the old D6 techniques work for this - chron is now integrated, and changing the matching number doesn't work.  I have to think there must be a workaround for this though.  Let me know if you come up with anything.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

I don't run the matching system, so i can't test this. But if somone is willing to give this a try.

Make a backup copy of inc\classes\BxDolAlertsResponceMatch.php

Then edit the file looking for this block of code commenting out the email portion of the code by adding the comments i marked in bold red.

function _checkProfileMatch($iProfileId, $sAction)
{
$aProfile = getProfileInfo($iProfileId);

if ($aProfile['UpdateMatch'] || $sAction == 'join')
{
$oDb = new BxDolDb();

// clear field "UpdateMatch"
$oDb->query("UPDATE `Profiles` SET `UpdateMatch` = 0 WHERE `ID`= $iProfileId");

// clear cache
$oDb->query("DELETE FROM `sys_profiles_match`");

/* // get send mails
$aSendMails = $oDb->getRow("SELECT `profiles_match` FROM `sys_profiles_match_mails` WHERE `profile_id` = $iProfileId");
$aSend = !empty($aSendMails) ? unserialize($aSendMails['profiles_match']) : array();

$aProfiles = getMatchProfiles($iProfileId);
foreach ($aProfiles as $iProfId)
{
if (!isset($aSend[(int)$iProfId]))
{
$oEmailTemplate = new BxDolEmailTemplates();
$aMessage = $oEmailTemplate->parseTemplate('t_CupidMail', array(
'StrID' => $iProfId,
'MatchProfileLink' => getProfileLink($iProfileId)
), $iProfId);
$aProfile = getProfileInfo($iProfId);

if (!empty($aProfile) && $aProfile['Status'] == 'Active')
$oDb->query("INSERT INTO `sys_sbs_queue`(`email`, `subject`, `body`) VALUES('" . $aProfile['Email'] . "', '" . $aMessage['subject'] . "', '" . $aMessage['body'] . "')");

$aSend[(int)$iProfId] = 0;
}
}

if (empty($aSendMails))
$oDb->query("INSERT INTO `sys_profiles_match_mails`(`profile_id`, `profiles_match`) VALUES($iProfileId, '" . serialize($aSend) . "')");
else
$oDb->query("UPDATE `sys_profiles_match_mails` SET `profiles_match` = '" . serialize($aSend) . "' WHERE `profile_id` = $iProfileId");
*/
}
}

I am not sure if this will mess with any of the other matching. This code looks like it handles email only.

But someone can test it if they like.

Make a backup first so you can restore your origional if needed.

Quote · 10 Jan 2010

Caltrade, you are correct, this is not a bug and this was the wrong thread to post that in. this is a per-user request feature, not a bug. but i guess you are going to post in here just because you have access to this forum and everything that doesnt work for you is going to be a bug. The designed feature is either matching sends a mail or not, those who do not want the cupid mails going out, turn off the 'designed feature'. if you need custom programming for your site then you should seek out a programmer.

The control of the script in a fashion that suits every individuals needs and desires will never be achieved on a mass production environment. There are 'features' that some users desire, that require custom programming.

I am sure there are a lot of features that some do not want, and there are other features that others would desire, because they are not part of the released application does not constitute a 'bug' and should not be posted in the bugs thread.

Regards,
DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 11 Jan 2010

Hi Caltrade

You of course know this is the wrong place for your post but you have posted it now so may as well try to answer it.

In Settings > Advanced Settings > Matches there is a field called :

"Send a cupid mail if the recently joined profile matches more than this percentage:"

Just set it to something ridiculously high that will never be reached. Mine is at 300.

Quote · 11 Jan 2010

Dosdawg - you have got your head so far up it you can't even see straight.  I was being sarcastic that that someone might actually consider this to not be a bug - I honestly didn't think it was even conceivable for someone to be so dim to not pick up on that.  This happens to be an extremely serious issue for my site and on others.  Now even if your own website is spamming your members and getting people seriously pissed at you you are not supposed to post it  on the bug forum because King Dosdawg declares "this is not a bug" - get real.

You do understand that this forum is not just a place for you to hawk Terabyte hosting don't you?  This forum was supposed to be a place where we could discuss bugs - and that is exactly what I am doing- discussing it.  What exactly is so horrible about that?  .  Some of us come to these forums for actual technical support - not just to fish for clients.  I would really appreciate it if you would stop trying to block my attempts to get support on bugs and technical issues I have identified - I don't have time for drama that you apparently do.

Rob

Quote · 11 Jan 2010

"Send a cupid mail if the recently joined profile matches more than this percentage:"

Just set it to something ridiculously high that will never be reached. Mine is at 300.

Profesize: That works in D6 but not in D7.  If you have set matching to "on" and you try to change that number for something more than 99, is will just snap back to 99 after you save.   This only works when you have set matching to "off" - in which case it is irrelevant.    There were a few workarounds in D6 - turning the chron off - no longer possible as the cupid cron is no longer separate, and setting a high number - which as I said no longer works.  Thanks for trying to help on this.

Rob

p.s.  remember - nothing is ever a bug!

@Deano -  I will try your code - thank you for doing that.  I hate messing with Dolphin PHP files though if I can avoid it.

Quote · 11 Jan 2010

Profesize: That works in D6 but not in D7.  If you have set matching to "on" and you try to change that number for something more than 99, is will just snap back to 99 after you save.   This only works when you have set matching to "off" - in which case it is irrelevant.    There were a few workarounds in D6 - turning the chron off - no longer possible as the cupid cron is no longer separate, and setting a high number - which as I said no longer works.  Thanks for trying to help on this.

Rob

Seriously, mine is set at 300 and has not snapped back. Give it a go and if that doesn't work then I would try changing it directly in the database in the table sys_options > match_percent.

Quote · 11 Jan 2010

@CALTRADE - Profesize is correct. I turned on the matching to test this, and i was able to set the match percent above 100 and it stayed for me as well. So maybe yours is broken.

Quote · 11 Jan 2010

@CALTRADE - Profesize is correct. I turned on the matching to test this, and i was able to set the match percent above 100 and it stayed for me as well. So maybe yours is broken.

At 100% people can still match and therefor receive a cupid email. Try setting it to something that can never be achieved to stop any and all emails.

Quote · 11 Jan 2010

At 100% people can still match and therefor receive a cupid email. Try setting it to something that can never be achieved to stop any and all emails.

I am not sure if you misread my post or not. But i did say above 100. Anyhoo, i tried 150 and it stayed. He said his kept bouncing back to a max of 99.

Quote · 11 Jan 2010

I am not sure if you misread my post or not. But i did say above 100. Anyhoo, i tried 150 and it stayed. He said his kept bouncing back to a max of 99.

Sorry Deano, I did misread it.

Quote · 11 Jan 2010

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.