Dolphin 7.4 has been released

More info:

https://www.boonex.com/n/dolphin-7-4-legacy-released

Quote · 11 Feb 2019

Great news! Thank you so much for your hard work. But what can i do with this upgrade to 7.4 and PHP 7 compatible? How many of my modules did work with this upgrade? None. It's like a cristmas without anything in the package. It's the same with Una. None of the developers have yet transfer any of there modules to Una. Happy, Happy for what? Almost the same if you buy a car without engine.

Quote · 12 Feb 2019

This concerns issues with hosting companies that refuse to have php 5.6.x on their servers; even though there won't be any aeroplanes falling out of the sky when the PHP guys stop support for php 5.6.x.  Of course if you skip shared hosting and just go with a cheap VPS, you can put php 5.6.x on your VPS and be happy.  1and1; now IONOS, is forcing people to either pay for php 5.6.x or move to php 7.

Of course Dolphin is only part of the issue with moving to php 7; your third party modules also have to be compatible.  Therefore, what one should do first is to test the modules to see if they are php 7 compatible.  If not, then they can be made compatible with code changes.  If you have modules where the developer is no longer active, then you have to hire an independent developer; such as myself, to make the modules compatible.  A lot of the third party modules may have already been updated and you may not have any issues.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 12 Feb 2019

Personally, I don't think a Dolphin site should be on shared hosting unless you are just starting out.  As your site grows and the membership grows, you are going to see issues with shared hosting.  If you are running your own server, VPS or dedicated, you can have multiple versions of php on the server.  For now, I would just stay with php 5.6.x for Dolphin if you have a lot of third party modules that might not be compatible with php 7.

Quote · 12 Feb 2019

I just did have a look in the market an none of the developers have updated there modules to latest 7.4 what i can see. Ok its only 2 day after this upgrade been released but why would a developer upgrade his add on when they are going to bury Dolpin. And to hire a developer for an upgrade on my modules would cost a fortune. Not even make a cent on my dolphin website.

Quote · 12 Feb 2019

I just did have a look in the market an none of the developers have updated there modules to latest 7.4 what i can see. Ok its only 2 day after this upgrade been released but why would a developer upgrade his add on when they are going to bury Dolpin. And to hire a developer for an upgrade on my modules would cost a fortune. Not even make a cent on my dolphin website.

Probably wouldn't be a fortune; it is just the php code that has become deprecated under php 7; I think some is the mysql calls have changed.  I don't know all the changes.  However, if you are in a situation where php 5.6 is not an option, then I guess one is forced to have any module upgraded or stop using the module.

Here is one thing to note, default Ubuntu installs don't support php 5.6.x; you have to install it yourself.

Quote · 12 Feb 2019

Actually if you are using PHP 5.6 and Dolphin 7.4 then some 3rd-party modules should work without changes, or minor changes will be required. I would suggest to perform upgrade on test site and see which 3rd-party modules will work and which don't.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 13 Feb 2019

Actually if you are using PHP 5.6 and Dolphin 7.4 then some 3rd-party modules should work without changes, or minor changes will be required. I would suggest to perform upgrade on test site and see which 3rd-party modules will work and which don't.

AlexT, this would seem to indicated that Dolphin itself has had some changes in core files that would affect third party modules; such as possible function calls. If so, can you help out with what changes were made that modules that operated fine under 7.3.5 no longer will operate with 7.4?

Quote · 13 Feb 2019

AlexT, this would seem to indicated that Dolphin itself has had some changes in core files that would affect third party modules; such as possible function calls. If so, can you help out with what changes were made that modules that operated fine under 7.3.5 no longer will operate with 7.4?

I have been working on my new version of deanos tools, and yesterday attempted to install it on dolphin 7.4.0 and it would not install.

I don't believe any current modules will work on 7.4.0.

Lets start with the installer.php in the install folder of all modules. For example, the boonex polls module.

This function from the last version of dolphin.

class BxPollInstaller extends BxDolInstaller
{
    function BxPollInstaller($aConfig)
    {
        parent::BxDolInstaller($aConfig);
    }

That must be changed to this.

class BxPollInstaller extends BxDolInstaller
{
    function __construct($aConfig)
    {
        parent::__construct($aConfig);
    }

That alone prevents the module from even installing.

Then all class files. The main function within the class will need to be changed from this.

function BxPollModule($aModule, $aPollSettings = array() )
        {
            global $logged;

parent::BxDolModule($aModule);
            $this -> sHomeUrl = $this ->_oConfig -> _sHomeUrl;

$this -> aPollSettings = $aPollSettings;

To this.

function __construct($aModule, $aPollSettings = array() )
        {
            global $logged;

parent::__construct($aModule);
            $this -> sHomeUrl = $this ->_oConfig -> _sHomeUrl;

$this -> aPollSettings = $aPollSettings;

Also modules that use something like this at the top of the class.

bx_import('BxDolModuleDb');

Will need to be changed to this.

require_once(BX_DIRECTORY_PATH_CLASSES  . 'BxDolModule.php');

I got my current version of deanos tools to install and run with changes like this to all of the class files. I still am running into other issues i have not yet figured out.

Dolphin now appears to have a new class file for exception handling.

Quite often getting this error which i think is database related, but having a hard time tracking it down as i believe there is a bug in dolphins error handling preventing me from seeing the proper error.

Got error 'PHP message: PHP Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to BxDolExceptionHandler::handle() must be an instance of Throwable, instance of PDOException given in /var/www/vhosts/deanbassett.com/dev740.deanbassett.com/inc/classes/BxDolExceptionHandler.php on line 16\n', referer: https://dev740.deanbassett.com/m/deanos_tools/administration/add_member/

Anyhow. Many of the changes needed are simple, but i don't believe a single module will run without those changes.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 13 Feb 2019

Thanks for explanation deano. I am pretty following you on the topic none of the modules will work.

Quote · 13 Feb 2019

White screen after upgrade?  https://bgscommunity.com/index.php

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow." @ www.dexpertz.net
Quote · 13 Feb 2019

White screen after upgrade?  https://bgscommunity.com/index.php

Just had a client to upgrade without consulting me first.  Reported that he upgraded his site and now only sees a white page.  Site is running under PHP 5.6.40; Boonex lists least version as PHP 5.4.0. I haven't investigate the site or looked at any error logs.

Quote · 13 Feb 2019

One of Modzzz modz doesnt work, I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method BxDolTwigModule::BxDolTwigModule() in /var/www/public_html/modules/modzzz/tutorials/classes/BxTutorialsModule.php on line 138

That's using php5.6 - switching up to php7.2 I get a _Exception_user_msg error

Not sure how to fix that so will wait for modzzz response and until people get a time to develop required changes/updates.

Enhance Your Onlne Experience. 4eLife.com
Quote · 13 Feb 2019

Modzzz response might be slow as he has to check a lot of modules.  I would just keep checking the market for when it is listed as compatible. 

Thank you so much Boonex for not giving anyone a heads up; especially the developers with modules, that the new Dolphin 7.4 would break just about every module in the market.

Furthermore, releasing a 7.4 final this soon before it could be properly tested was so kind of you.

Quote · 13 Feb 2019

@hawk007 - As mentioned by geek_girl, it may take a while to update all modules (especially for developers with a large portfolio). 

Paypal email is jeromemingo@gmail.com - http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/modzzz
Quote · 14 Feb 2019

@hawk007 - As mentioned by geek_girl, it may take a while to update all modules (especially for developers with a large portfolio). 

That's fine, I am in no rush. Its just that the tutorials states that it is already compatible so wont know when it actually is? I will message you in a couple of weeks or so with a list of my mods and you can give me a yey or nay if that's ok. 

My comment above was more about informing those it concerned - I would have took a quick fix too but thats fine too.

Cheers, much appreciation etc. 

Quote · 14 Feb 2019

Modzzz response might be slow as he has to check a lot of modules.  I would just keep checking the market for when it is listed as compatible. 

Thank you so much Boonex for not giving anyone a heads up; especially the developers with modules, that the new Dolphin 7.4 would break just about every module in the market.

Furthermore, releasing a 7.4 final this soon before it could be properly tested was so kind of you.

Thanks Geek_Girl. Why everytime I see your pink cartoon face do I want to watch My Crazy Ex Girlfriend. lol. Ah G Girl. Sorry, couldnt resit it. Thanks for the assist's past and present, much appreciated.

Quote · 14 Feb 2019

@Deano already pointed out most of the things. Actually if module already uses new constructors it should probably work. The most significant changes are in database class, there are still the same methods, some of the methods got new params and need to be rewritten, ideally with prepared statements. 

@Deano - regarding exceptions handling, I suspect that you have some nre changes missing in inc/header.php.php, please check your inc/header.inc.php class, it should have the following lines to catch exceptions:

require_once(BX_DIRECTORY_PATH_CLASSES . 'BxDolExceptionHandler.php');

set_exception_handler([new BxDolExceptionHandler(), 'handle']);

also set to true:

$site['fullError']         = true;

to show errors on the screen.

All the other needed changes in inc/header.inc.php are described here, it's better to apply all of them:

https://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/7.3.5-7.4.0#Step4

Quote · 15 Feb 2019

@Deano - regarding exceptions handling, I suspect that you have some nre changes missing in inc/header.php.php, please check your inc/header.inc.php class, it should have the following lines to catch exceptions:

require_once(BX_DIRECTORY_PATH_CLASSES . 'BxDolExceptionHandler.php');

set_exception_handler([new BxDolExceptionHandler(), 'handle']);

also set to true:

$site['fullError']         = true;

to show errors on the screen.

All the other needed changes in inc/header.inc.php are described here, it's better to apply all of them:

https://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/7.3.5-7.4.0#Step4

I am doing these tests on a clean 7.4.0 install, not a upgrade. However, i did check inc/header.inc.php to make sure, and those are there.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 15 Feb 2019

I am doing these tests on a clean 7.4.0 install, not a upgrade. However, i did check inc/header.inc.php to make sure, and those are there.

Thank you for letting know, then it maybe related to the error you reported in another thread. 

Quote · 15 Feb 2019

Upgraded to 7.4 from 7.3.5 in a test environment now... removed all modules, switched back to "evo" template. Error showing:

Fatal error: Call to protected BxDolDb::__construct() from context 'BxDolPageView' in /var/www/vhosts/TLD.com/inc/classes/BxDolPageView.php(721) : eval()'d code on line 2

with PHP 5.6 and with PHP 7.2 it brings

_Exception_user_msg

while error.log shows

--- 2019-02-15T15:18:34+01:00
Type: Error
Message: Call to protected BxDolDb::__construct() from context 'BxDolPageView'
File: /var/www/vhosts/TLD.com/inc/classes/BxDolPageView.php(721) : eval()'d code
Line: 2
Trace:
#0 /var/www/vhosts/TLD.com/inc/classes/BxDolPageView.php(721): eval()<br />
#1 /var/www/vhosts/TLD.com/inc/classes/BxDolPageView.php(399): BxDolPageView->getBlockCode_PHP(498, '$iProfileID = g...')<br />
#2 /var/www/vhosts/TLD.com/inc/classes/BxDolPageView.php(315): BxDolPageView->genBlock(498, Array)<br />
#3 /var/www/vhosts/TLD.com/inc/classes/BxDolPageView.php(223): BxDolPageView->genColumn(2)<br />
#4 /var/www/vhosts/TLD.com/inc/classes/BxDolPageView.php(263): BxDolPageView->gen()<br />
#5 /var/www/vhosts/TLD.com/index.php(57): BxDolPageView->getCode()<br />
#6 {main}

I see and remeber AlexT talking about code blocks. Where can I find them in the database (or admin when I put the backup back in)?

Quote · 15 Feb 2019

So, tried to use the old process of duplicating the Groups module with a different name and for some reason it would not install. What changes were made regarding  the Groups module?

caredesign.net
Quote · 15 Feb 2019

It's 5 days after the latest upgrade and what i can see there is only one developer that have updated his module to 7.4. Is that right or am i missing something here. Maybe i don't understand the market functions?

Quote · 16 Feb 2019

It's 5 days after the latest upgrade and what i can see there is only one developer that have updated his module to 7.4. Is that right or am i missing something here. Maybe i don't understand the market functions?

Here is the problem, Andrew Boon worked very hard to drive all the Dolphin developers away.  We, a group that wants to see Dolphin continue, are hoping we can get the developers to return to Dolphin.  Andrew doesn't want this, Andrew wants to kill Dolphin; he has been very clear on that.  However, Dolphin will continue, it may get a new name but the platform will continue.  When developers see that Dolphin will continue to be a viable platform, they will return.  We, a group that wants to see Dolphin continue, will be promoting Dolphin (or what it may be known as in the future) through social media.  It will happen.  Vive le Dolphin.

I believe that if you have a module that needs updating, you can hire a developer to update the module legally.

Quote · 16 Feb 2019

Besides, it has only been five days; you have to give developers time.  They have to see where issues are and get the fixes in and then test.  Some developers have full time jobs outside of module development.

Quote · 16 Feb 2019

I see and remeber AlexT talking about code blocks. Where can I find them in the database (or admin when I put the backup back in)?

@trunky just go to Admin Panel > Builder > Pages Builder and disable blocks which aren't default. 

Quote · 17 Feb 2019

So, tried to use the old process of duplicating the Groups module with a different name and for some reason it would not install. What changes were made regarding  the Groups module?

@ProfessorSr what is the error which prevent cloned module to install ?

Quote · 17 Feb 2019

With the exception of one or two modules, my portfolio is now updated for Dolphin 7.4.2

Paypal email is jeromemingo@gmail.com - http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/modzzz
Quote · 23 May 2019

I think it's bad of the developers that update there modules to Dolphin 7.4.2 but it seems that they don't even check if the module even working correct before they say it's compatible. I don't want to say hes name here but he should be the Top developer here. I surtenly have check all my modules that they are working before i say they are ok. Ok they have many moduls but they also make money of them. They upgrade them for free but if that is the point I can add $10 if you update them better. 

Quote · 26 May 2019

@tommi 

The majority of developers have completely abandoned dolphin without any notification and have moved on to other ventures where they are actually making money.

BE HAPPY that two or three of us have stayed here to update our modules and STOP COMPLAINING !!!

If a developer takes the time to update his modules, I am sure he will fix whatever issue you are having if you report it in the support forum for that module.

I have over 300+ modules and it takes a shit load of time to update them to Dolphin 7.2. I certainly did not thoroughly check everyone. That would take another month or two to do. I am sure the same applies to other top developers with a huge module portfolio.

Many persons are here complaining about upgrades but not one is willing to even donate a $1 to a developer to offset the efforts required.

No one is making money from module sales anymore, we are simply in maintenance mode now. Some developers can't even pay for hosting with the sales they get so they simply abandon their module portfolio. Boonex is directing all new customers to UNA and existing customers are simply not in buying mood with the uncertainty that exists around Dolphin.

I AM TIRED OF THE COMPLAINERS !

Quote · 26 May 2019

Ok, close your account then and move to UNA and make some money there. I can't see your modules there, not even one. If you upload even one I make sure you sell that one. No need to complain on me. You have a choice. Stay here or move to UNA to. You stay here you will be complained if you do wrong. You stay in UNA you will be complained even if you charge there for updates or give the updates for free.

Quote · 26 May 2019

You cannot see my modules on UNA because I am here working my ass off to update my modules for free to stop you complainers from complaining. So because I am not an octopus with many hands I am stuck here until updates are completed but even that is not enough to satisfy people like you. 

Quote · 26 May 2019

Even if it takes a shit load of time to update your 3000 modules you should at least check them litle bit.

Quote · 26 May 2019

I suggest you add your paypal@email.com so users can support you.

Quote · 26 May 2019

There's a vast difference between fixing a module because it contains a bug and having to rewrite one simply because someone changed the operating system.

Somehow you have to figure out a way to charge people upgrading to 7.4 a nominal fee for the updated module. One way of doing it would be to leave all 7.3.5 compatible modules in the store, with a big red sign saying an upgrade is available for $X if people contact you directly. It would be up to you to ensure that the person does in fact have an earlier version, otherwise the smarties will try to get a full version for a fraction of the price.

I reckon $5 or $10 would be a reasonable amount and that should start the cash flowing again.

I also understand that having to plough through 300 modules to update the code is a daunting task, but I'm inclined to think that a lot of those modules aren't very popular any more. My guess would be over half could be put aside for updating at a future date and maybe only a quarter or less are still popular.

The main problem we all face is that nobody knows how many people actually use Dolphin, how many visit the forums and how many are ready to throw it in. I personally believe there aren't many of us left but a concerted effort by a few people could turn the tables.

If it was me in this situation, I'd be looking at ways to make a few bucks from the upgrades and also think about crowd funding New modules so that I know how much I'm going to get paid before I write them.

Quote · 26 May 2019

Let's be honest here; Andrew Boon is only concern with making money from subscriptions and hosting.  And he isn't even doing that correctly if the number of complaints is any indication.  UNA is proclaimed as if it is a finished product when it has only been recently that proper permissions were put in place; something that Dolphin has had for some time through the membership and PAC module.  Also, the Studio is old code, it was written 10 years ago when people were jumping on crap ideas with the internet.  Boonex is probably going to go bye bye with the demise of Dolphin and this focus on UNA.  I won't be crying when it does.  Dolphin was the crown in social platform software; and yes, I tested a wide range of them by actually installing and testing.  Andrew Boon; AKA, Andrey Sivtsov, ....

I wouldn't focus my attention on Dolphin or UNA; I would focus my attention on other social platforms.  Or, work with us to fork the Dolphin platform and we will continue to work and improve the platform outside of Boonex.  Look at the current mess of a 7.4 release that Boonex refuses to clean up.  They simply don't care.

Quote · 26 May 2019

Modzzz I want to say that I have some of your modules and I am very appreciative of the fact that you've upgraded them to work with 7.4.2. Thank you.

I would have, and tried, to move to UNA but the problem is that UNA does not have the same functionality that Dolphin currently has. Stock Dolphin will parse an RSS function that is critical to my site, UNA will not. Stock Dolphin has a shoutbox that works independently, UNA shoutbox requires a media server. I suspect that there are more in my position, Dolphin site owners whose Dolphin sites work perfectly for them having the choice of keeping what works, or moving to something that won't. 

Quote · 26 May 2019

Dolphin site owners whose Dolphin sites work perfectly for them having the choice of keeping what works,

I have someone that asked me about upgrading their site to 7.4; they run their own server with php 5.6.x.  I asked them why they wanted to upgrade to 7.4; what did it offer that they needed.  That is an important question.  I mentioned that they may lose modules that haven't been upgraded.  If your site works, has all the features needed, your third party modules work, and there isn't some Dolphin security issue with 7.3.5, then maybe you should just stay with 7.3.5.

I am not sure all the changes in 7.4 was there for just PHP 7 compatibility.  Others had went through the Dolphin 7.3 code and had it working on PHP 7.  I do know that Andrew Boon has made statements that they plan on rolling some of the UNA shite into Dolphin.  I do believe the goal is to merge UNA into Dolphin and then drop both the current Dolphin and UNA and release a platform with the Dolphin moniker.

I really think the current Dolphin community needs to start backing a Dolphin fork and just say bye bye to Andrew Boon and Boonex. 

Quote · 27 May 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.