Mobile Apps - Testing @ Branding

OK, as if Dolphin wasn't a big enough beast the first time I tried to tame it, I am now going to jump in head first and try to get this Mobile App under the whip as well. I do have a few questions that maybe some can chime in about. Remember, this will be my first time.. so be gentle Yell

- Is there a way to test these mobile apps WITHOUT submitting them to the app markets? I am specifically talking about the Android app, but will need to know about the iPhone app too.

- I do not have a MAC computer in my house, although there is a iPhone and iPod Touch. My question is: When re-branding and testing the iPhone app, is it required to have a MAC OS to do it?

I want to be able to start some type of documentation/process that will help others as well as myself, with branding and submitting to the app markets. PLEASE feel free to add anything you can that you see will help.

NOTE: In order to post your apps to the market places you will need to purchase developers licenses:

- IOS Developer = $99 year

- Android = $25 (Droid ROCKS!)

Nothing to see here
Quote · 8 Nov 2011

Since I am an Android user and posted this in the Android section, I will go ahead and start posting what I have found out since yesterday.

Look at the file res/values/strings.xml as being your 'language settings in Dolphin Admin. Here you can change things like the application name, title, the about us area. I will try to show you the <strings> here:

<string name="app_name">OO</string>   // the application's name
 <string name="title">OO app for Dolphin</string> // The application's title (you see this at the top of the login page)

This is the About page this is used by default:

<string name="about_text">OO for Android  v.1.5  // Here is the where it begins

\n\nOO is a mobile app for members
of websites powered by Dolphin
Smart Community Builder.

\n\nOO and Dolphin are products of
BoonEx. Go to <a href="http://www.boonex.com/">www.boonex.com</a>
to download Dolphin and create
your own social networking or
online dating website.</string> // It ends here - You can edit this all you want

The rest starts to explain itself. Any 'text' you see on your Android app, you can change here.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 8 Nov 2011

Do you want to change that Dolphin logo that is beside your screenname during login that looks like this?

That image is not stored 'in' the mobile app at all, its on your website. If you want to change this, you need to replace this file /media/images/mobile_logo.png with one that you want. I would consider keeping it the same name :)

Nothing to see here
Quote · 8 Nov 2011

It is not possible to develop iPhone/iPad/iPod apps without mac (at least official). You need some Intel based mac to do it.

Compiled Android app (app_name.apk) can be installed on Android device without submitting to the store - there are several tools like some special installer apps, using SDK, etc.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 9 Nov 2011

Hey AlexT, Thanks for the reply.

I have VM Ware Workstation, so maybe I can just install MAC OSX on my virtual machine and make it work from there. (or at least I hope so).

Nothing to see here
Quote · 9 Nov 2011

I haven't tried it but maybe it worth to give it a try.

Hey AlexT, Thanks for the reply.

I have VM Ware Workstation, so maybe I can just install MAC OSX on my virtual machine and make it work from there. (or at least I hope so).

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 9 Nov 2011

Zarcon you can do this...  i have many mac images.  the problem here is if your dev tools are to corrent they make you update the mac OS and thats when it becomes a headache in vm ware.

I forgot the version numbers i was using for the os and dev tools.  maybe i'll fire them up and see what they are.

Edit:  i am running workstaion on and amd quad core with mac os if that helps at all.

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 10 Nov 2011

@Dolphin_Jay

I have a MAC image but I cannot get it to install on my machine. It keeps going to the shell> prompt when I try to install MAC OSx Lion.

I have a Six-Core AMD processor, so I am not sure if that is causing a problem or not. Could be that I just have a bad MAC image.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 10 Nov 2011

you have to make sure you get a good amd boot image first.  i know when i tried on lion i was geting the same thing..  

i'll try and see what lion brings now...  i was trying the day it was released and i wasnt geting to far with the boot image i had.

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 10 Nov 2011

Ok.. So I have everything I need for rebranding mobile:

- Eclipse with Android SDK

- VM Machine Running MAC OSX and xCode

- iOS and Android developer licenses

The more and more I look at this stuff.. the more and more confused I become. AlexT, please tell me you can provide some type of documentation on this re-branding. I only want to do these 3 things:

- Rename the default app from OO to what I want to call it

- Change some colors

- Package it all back up and submit to the stores.

Seems simple enough huh? I am really struggling here. Can anyone help?

Nothing to see here
Quote · 24 Nov 2011

Don't forget to setup Google Maps on Android.

I found these instructions for you and think they should help:

Google Maps API - Setup signing and MD5 fingerprint

Once you have your API Key open up res\layout\location.xml

and replace "Your Google Maps API Key Here" with your API Key

Boonex might want to add that to their documentation for the Android App. It's kind of hard to find when you don't even know it's there. If it has already been added, I apologise (I guess I must have missed it somehow).

Ok.. So I have everything I need for rebranding mobile:

- Eclipse with Android SDK

- VM Machine Running MAC OSX and xCode

- iOS and Android developer licenses

The more and more I look at this stuff.. the more and more confused I become. AlexT, please tell me you can provide some type of documentation on this re-branding. I only want to do these 3 things:

- Rename the default app from OO to what I want to call it

- Change some colors

- Package it all back up and submit to the stores.

Seems simple enough huh? I am really struggling here. Can anyone help?

Quote · 24 Nov 2011

Thanx Zacron for starting this thread. 

Free the Dolphin...
Quote · 24 Nov 2011

To change colors:

One thing you will need to do is edit image files within the "res" folder.

and the other thing is to make changes to the layout.

To do this you can go to "res/layout" in Eclipse and open up the xml file you wish to make changes to.

After opening up an xml file, the "Outline" window should come up.

When you select an item in the "Outline" window the properties window for the item should come up and then you can make changes to the item by editing things like "text color", etc ...

Quote · 24 Nov 2011

This might explain how to create the *.apk (Your Android App) file:

How to Create Android Apps - Eclipse Export .apk Market Ready files

PS: Use the same keystore file as the one used to get Google API key.

Quote · 24 Nov 2011
Thanks Bengunn for your assistance. So now I am stuck on how to change those grey boxes around the icons thats on the homepage. They also appear on the login screen, etc. I have changed just about every picture in the but obviously this is hard coded somewhere. Here is a screenshot attached. What I am wanting is to know where to go in order to remove that dark grey surrounding the box, and the grey inside it. Thanks in advance
GreyBox.png · 12.5K · 598 views
Nothing to see here
Quote · 25 Nov 2011

The weird thing is.. If I look and the about.xml in the layout, it looks like it should. It just seem to be looking right in the ADK emulator. I also tested this on my phone and it wasnt showing right there either.

Seems like something is not compiling right or something.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 25 Nov 2011

I'm running a virtual android ap on my pc without too much troubvle. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to install the app to my virtual setup so I can test it.

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 25 Nov 2011

I'm running a virtual android ap on my pc without too much troubvle. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to install the app to my virtual setup so I can test it.

You have two options:

1. download the app from the Android Market; or
  2. download the app from here: http://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/Apps-are-free-or-not-.htm#148626
BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 25 Nov 2011

there is an android desktop application created for the side bar by a company by the name of bluestacks

http://bluestacks.com/download_2.html

enabled by facebook log in only to download and use android applications and games on windows desktop

some issues floating round about x64 bit though

i tried it out but without an android phone had no way of transfering any other apps then what bluestacks hosts through their system

(it has a cloud server interchange between android phone and the desktop app)

perhaps it could be installed into from the desktop??

i dont know anything about android so have no idea

just thought it may be of interest to those reading and posting in this topic

if a way to install directly into it for testing is possible would you nice gentlemen please 

leave instructions on how this is possible

i hope this post wasnt an entire waste of your time

Im surprised too not a single bad word
Quote · 25 Nov 2011

You have two options:

2. download the app from here: http://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/Apps-are-free-or-not-.htm#148626

I did this already but have no idea on how to actually 'install' the ap into the virtual environment

Quote · 25 Nov 2011

You have two options:

I did this already but have no idea on how to actually 'install' the ap into the virtual environment

This might help: http://openhandsetmagazine.com/2008/01/tips-how-to-install-apk-files-on-android-emulator/

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 25 Nov 2011

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see what happens

Quote · 25 Nov 2011

I think you also need to make changes to the "styles.xml" file in "res/values".

Thanks Bengunn for your assistance. So now I am stuck on how to change those grey boxes around the icons thats on the homepage. They also appear on the login screen, etc. I have changed just about every picture in the but obviously this is hard coded somewhere. Here is a screenshot attached. What I am wanting is to know where to go in order to remove that dark grey surrounding the box, and the grey inside it. Thanks in advance

Quote · 25 Nov 2011

If you mean you got the Android emulator running but don't know how to install the app onto the emulator then the easiest way to install it is through Eclipse.

1.- Load your Project in Eclipse.

2.- Right click your Project

3.- Click on "Run As"

4.- Select "Android Application".

Quote · 25 Nov 2011

OK I think I got it. I was able to rebrand the Android app and publish it successfully.

The issue is this, since this was my first time working with ANY of the tools needed to do this, I kinda lost track of everything I was doing, re-doing, then re-doing again.

I will try to help anyone if they have any questions if I can. Hopefully if BoonEx updates the mobile apps I will keep better track of everything so I can provide some type of help document. Of course, I will not be updating the mobile apps if its just a small enhancement. If they add the ability to Join, create albums, etc, then I will. BUt not for anything like a update to the strings.. hehe.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 26 Nov 2011

HI Guys, i am new to dolphin.. I have just purchased prime licence.. and got android and Iphone app.. i was looking to rebrand it.. found this thread.. it was helpful..... I thought of adding some more infor in a video format.. hope this will help.. this is from diffferent platform.. but it should work like dolphin apps.. as they are also dealing with source code..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hds38fCBEAo

Thanks..

Quote · 28 Jan 2012

You can develop completely unique mobile and i-phone apps using Multimedi Fusion II developer. Its drag and drop with very little - no coding required. Someone reasonably good with databases on here should be able to make a much better app than the boonex one. The finished app can be tested in a simulator but then must be compliled on a mac.

MMFII developer has an I-phone and android exporter, as well as a flash, java, python and many other exporters. Its simple to use, fast to develop on and can be customised to make it do anything you want if you know a little c++ or VB.

Quote · 28 Jan 2012

Use client-server approach and specify to only one customer is dowonloaded or configued from a remote server.

Quote · 20 Sep 2012

Do you want to change that Dolphin logo that is beside your screenname during login that looks like this?

That image is not stored 'in' the mobile app at all, its on your website. If you want to change this, you need to replace this file /media/images/mobile_logo.png with one that you want. I would consider keeping it the same name :)

I can not find the media folder in my website, where is it and if I create one, where do I nest it?

Quote · 24 Nov 2013

HI Guys, i am new to dolphin.. I have just purchased prime licence.. and got android and Iphone app.. i was looking to rebrand it.. found this thread.. it was helpful..... I thought of adding some more infor in a video format.. hope this will help.. this is from diffferent platform.. but it should work like dolphin apps.. as they are also dealing with source code..

i just want it publish on google play store

Thanks

Quote · 26 May 2017

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.