Resource Limit Is Reached

i am getting this report most times loading my site. what does it mean?

Resource Limit Is Reached

The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

Contact your host - you're likely reaching the resource limits of their shared plan.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 27 Jan 2014

ok thanks. 

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

my host is advicing me to dissable these files. will this not affect my site? flash/XML.php and gzip_loader.php

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

Yes it will.

Find another host. They know nothing about dolphin. The shared plan your on is not good enough to run dolphin.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 27 Jan 2014

I am on hostupon. who will you recommend?

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

Probably the one in his forum signature line Laughing

Nothing to see here
Quote · 27 Jan 2014

Yes. The one mentioned in my sig.

http://www.zarconia.net/

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

is it possible to move the site there without loosing members?

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

Yes

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

Your host sounds like a real comedian.

Telling you to disable flash/XML.php on a Dolphin site is akin to a doctor telling you to quit breathing if you complained that taking a breath is painful or a mechanic telling you to stop putting gas in your car if you complain about poor gas mileage.

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

yes and if you used a panel you can make automatic

Quote · 27 Jan 2014

Zarconia    - So you'll will have no issues on running your beloved dolphin site :) 

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow." @ www.dexpertz.net
Quote · 27 Jan 2014

Hello, co-founder here. Yes, we offer a free move or install with all new orders. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions, or would like to know more.

@All: Thanks for the kind words and recommendations!

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 27 Jan 2014

@All: Thanks for the kind words and recommendations!

Echoing my Zarconia co-founder :)..

Nothing to see here
Quote · 27 Jan 2014

I have the same problem with TMD. This is their answer : 

Your site has been limited within the past 24 hours

CPU resources were limited for your site

You have reached entry processes (number of simultaneously running PHP and CGI scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell sessions) limit 428 times

Your site might hit resource limits soon

You had 1024 I/O usage out of 1024 max I/O usage allowed

You had 50 I/O operations per second out of 50 max I/O operations per second allowed

Due to the statistics, we are receiving this will be an indicator of a site which needs to be optimized by an experienced developer who can take care of the running PHP, CGI scripts. Please note that this requires development assistance, which is something we do not provide, yet. You may contact some expert local developer to assist you further.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

I have never encountered this problem before. I even don't believe what they are telling me, because nothing has changed to my sites, not even more visitors, since I'm still developing the sites.

Nevertheless, they claim to fully support Dolphin on their shared servers, so now they come telling me that this script is not optimized ??

I have the same problem with TMD. This is their answer : 

Your site has been limited within the past 24 hours

CPU resources were limited for your site

You have reached entry processes (number of simultaneously running PHP and CGI scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell sessions) limit 428 times

Your site might hit resource limits soon

You had 1024 I/O usage out of 1024 max I/O usage allowed

You had 50 I/O operations per second out of 50 max I/O operations per second allowed

Due to the statistics, we are receiving this will be an indicator of a site which needs to be optimized by an experienced developer who can take care of the running PHP, CGI scripts. Please note that this requires development assistance, which is something we do not provide, yet. You may contact some expert local developer to assist you further.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

CPU limits can be hit with a lot of activity or from ffmpeg.exe. That can cause a slow down, but won't take the site offline with that error. I/O limits are also similar. The issue here is likely the entry process limit being hit. This means either there's a lot of activity on the site and a lot of requests, or the limit TMD has set is very low. You should be able to see in the sidebar in cPanel what the limit is.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

CPU limits can be hit with a lot of activity or from ffmpeg.exe. That can cause a slow down, but won't take the site offline with that error. I/O limits are also similar. The issue here is likely the entry process limit being hit. This means either there's a lot of activity on the site and a lot of requests, or the limit TMD has set is very low. You should be able to see in the sidebar in cPanel what the limit is.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

The only possible activity on my site can be me making changes to my site.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

15 is a bit low, but that could be because of the plan - our cheapest shared plan is set to 20 for EP, for example. If that's TMD's largest shared plan, then that's a problem. They should be able to see what's causing that usage.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

I've been asking them again and again to take my question seriously, because I never had this problem and all of a sudden, without changing anything, I get this resource limit error.

What do you think about this Nathan? Any idea what could cause this exceeded usage? All other figures look very normal (and low).

Can't do anything anymore on the server without getting the notice.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

They should be able to tell you what's behind it - if not the specific cause, at least something. So I guess they don't want to spend the time.

Most often this is requests to the site. So check the access logs and see if there are any hits lately. If the site is meant to be under development, move it into a subfolder or lock it behind a password (there's a password protected directory feature in cPanel). If the usage drops off, that will be why.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

Thanks Nathan, now I get the answer from them that they will investigate what's going on.You might be right about the helpdesk not wanting to spend time to look into the problem :-)

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

This is their reply (can't figure out what this means) :

295367 horecain  20   0 36044 4360 1396 S  0.0  0.0   0:09.47 perl                                                                                                                                                               
547602 horecain 20 0 36044 4364 1396 S 0.0 0.0 0:18.74 perl
599444 horecain 20 0 103m 21m 1488 S 0.0 0.1 0:27.92 perl
717372 horecain 20 0 102m 20m 1488 S 0.0 0.1 0:28.29 perl
857776 horecain 20 0 36044 4364 1396 S 0.0 0.0 0:16.76 perl
934321 horecain 20 0 103m 21m 1488 S 0.0 0.1 0:21.28 perl
962208 horecain 20 0 137m 1292 576 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 pure-ftpd
1034726 horecain 20 0 107m 1828 844 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 sshd
1034737 horecain 20 0 105m 1964 1496 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.01 bash
1035505 horecain 20 0 14904 1160 952 R 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 top

They should be able to tell you what's behind it - if not the specific cause, at least something. So I guess they don't want to spend the time.

Most often this is requests to the site. So check the access logs and see if there are any hits lately. If the site is meant to be under development, move it into a subfolder or lock it behind a password (there's a password protected directory feature in cPanel). If the usage drops off, that will be why.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

Is the site on 7.3.3 or at least patched for the security vulnerability?: https://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/Dolphin-7-3-3-Manual-Security-Fix.htm 

The perl and sshd processes are common signs the site has been hacked and is being used for bad stuff.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

I did have a problem about 2 weeks ago with 1 one of my sites (add-on domain) being hacked. I upgraded to 7.3.3 immediately.

So you think there is still a vulnerability ?

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

If the site wan't fully cleaned or the other sites were never patched, then it's a possibility. Can you send me your cPanel details in a PM? I can take a look.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

Sent you a PM Nathan. Thanks in advance.

Quote · 15 Jan 2017

Hi Annabel

I've been having the exact same issue with TMD since I moved across to them and they royally screwed up the transfer. Maybe we could join forces and apply pressure? 

I can be the only one accessing the site and still get these errors. As soon as a member uploads a video it's goodnight Vienna until it finishes processing a couple of hours later. Their support lately has been dreadful and correspondence often quite rude. Goodness knows what is going on there.

Steve E
Quote · 16 Jan 2017

Hi Annabel

I've been having the exact same issue with TMD since I moved across to them and they royally screwed up the transfer. Maybe we could join forces and apply pressure? 

I can be the only one accessing the site and still get these errors. As soon as a member uploads a video it's goodnight Vienna until it finishes processing a couple of hours later. Their support lately has been dreadful and correspondence often quite rude. Goodness knows what is going on there.

Can you post a screenshot of the cPanel stats like above?

ffmpeg.exe can use a lot of CPU, and that can mean the rest of the site slows down while it processes. It shouldn't take hours, though, unless this is a very large video. How large is the video being uploaded? ffmpeg won't take the site down, but if there's a lot of EP or RAM use already, then video processing can hit the limit.

Quote · 16 Jan 2017

Hi Nathan

Performed a test with a 20mb mp4 with just 4 users logged in including myself.  Typically wasn't as slow as it has been but still too 25 minutes to upload and process.  I've attached screen shots from Cpanel and last 24 hours usage stats.

Thanks

usage.JPG · 196.6K · 248 views
cpanel.jpg · 106.1K · 211 views
Steve E
Quote · 17 Jan 2017

I don't see any EP or pRAM failures in that log.  But 25 minutes on shared isn't too bad. Shared can not allocate the server's full resources to an individual account, so if you need to upload larger videos and have them processed quickly, the only solution is a dedicated server.

Quote · 17 Jan 2017

Yep, they screwed up some things on my sites as well during migration to another server.

When you complain, you always get the same answer : "At our end everything looks fine".

They always tell you lies to hide their mistakes.

Hi Annabel

Quote · 22 Feb 2017

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.