Spam registrations make me regret changing over to boonex

A few months ago i changed over from vbulletin and almost since day 1  of me uploading the dolphin files to my server.. spam registrations have been a problem.

It is ridiculous, and at least 30 minutes out of my day is now spent trying to determine which profiles are spam and which ones are legit. 

with vbullitn i maybe had 1 spam registration per day... now i get more like 10 per day.

I hope there are improvements to the base software and tools are added to combat this in future releases.

Quote · 23 Jun 2012

The spam issue is an issue that has been addressed many times before. This post here contains a couple of options that work well.

http://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/China-is-invading-help-me-with-form-field-validation.htm

I was actually going to develop a spam filtering system for dolphin but scrapped the idea when i determined that by adding a simple question that is easy to answer to the join form such as what is 5+5 it pretty much put a stop to the spam accounts. Most spammers are bots, not real people, so by adding a question that only a person can answer to the join form, the spam comes to a end.

I have only had to change the question once in the last couple of months.

My server gets hit in intervals between 1 and 5 minutes 24/7 with a dozen or so get requests that are apparently are automatic checks to see what software is installed on my site. Many hits for scripts that do not exist on my site and one which i recognized as a file that belonged to wordpress. So it is obvious there are automated systems out there looking for sites to target.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 23 Jun 2012

Splash pages puts the sp*m count to 0. You just have to change the place or name of the join.php so that atleast bots can't join. Adding a simple 5+5 question also helps.

so much to do....
Quote · 23 Jun 2012

i dont really think a splash page has much to do with it. however, you kinda sorta hit it right in suggesting that join.php get renamed.

the reason i say the splash pages does not make any difference, is that the person responsible for the bots know that /join.php is the path, and that there are certain required fields on that form. they are passing those values but are not being a registered agent on the site, in other words, they are never actually on your site. 

i had written to andrew booone about this months ago, but of course, not sure what is planned to be done about it. 

so yes, renaming your join.php to join2.php will work maybe, i think they have figured that one out as well. 

Splash pages puts the sp*m count to 0. You just have to change the place or name of the join.php so that atleast bots can't join. Adding a simple 5+5 question also helps.

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 24 Jun 2012

Unfortunately for a lot of sites splash pages put the member count to 0 also :-)

Splash pages puts the sp*m count to 0. 

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 24 Jun 2012

Unfortunately for a lot of sites splash pages put the member count to 0 also :-)

lol maybe but i have never seen any case.

so much to do....
Quote · 24 Jun 2012

Renaming the join.php page is not going to do it..

I get hammered daily by these favorite searches.

inurl:"search.php?online_only=1" This newest and is the most popular one so far
inurl:"blogs"+"posts" intext:"Powered by Dolphin - Free Community Software" site:info
intext:"Powered by Dolphin" "General Info" "join" inurl:join.php
intext:” About Us Privacy Terms FAQ Invite A Friend Contact Us Bookmark ”
intext:”blogs” “powered by dolphin”
inurl:"contact.php" intext:"feedback section - questions, comments,
blog site: Powered by Dolphin Smart Community

Until the above "default" words are changed by us as individuals, we are screwed.

The math questions were too easy, had to go with something different and the thing that has stopped the spam accounts is splitting the join for into two separate steps.

Good Luck

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 24 Jun 2012

Why you think so, I like splash pages :D

Quote · 28 Nov 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.