What does the "Page Width" do in Page Builder

Hi. I'm not sure I fully understand the "Page Width" (at the top) in Page Builder.

By default on 7.3, it seems to be 1140px.

Other pages aren't default, some are.

In trying to understand the significance of the setting, I can extend it to 1600px (100%) but still not sure what it does.

Does anyone have a full understanding of this? the on-line docs don't cover it.

Thanks.

Quote · 28 May 2016

Well, do this. Set your home page to 774px (it's lowest setting) and then view the page. You should see a big difference. Seeing what it does should make it quite clear.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 28 May 2016

I use the default 1140px and split cloumns in to 320px - ideal for skyscraper banners (align: center) and 300x250 ads (in a block with no padding) - and 820px (for main content).

Unfortunately, upgrading has caused some problems where the 100% full width columns have landed and caused other content to go into columns 2 and 3.

This means going through every page in Page Builder and making sure everything looks right; and when deleting the full width colum, resizing the remaining column widths.

Some modules have messed things up more than others but when you drive a car, sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MichelMeta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 28 May 2016

Thank you all. This makes perfect sense now.

Not sure why 1600px would ever be needed, since it seems to me that 7.3 will switch to responsive if there's anything smaller. I'll maintain the default 1140px for now as this does seem appropriate, although on some windows the "action buttons" have "..." to complete words, and extending above 1140px does fix that.

It's a balancing act really.

Quote · 28 May 2016

Some modules have messed things up more than others but when you drive a car, sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.

I don't know if you have read my rant or not on this but Boonex really screwed everyone on adding a column that was not really needed and gave little if no benefit to the Dolphin platform.  I am fighting hard trying to get a module to upgrade and play nice after doing a 7.1.6 to 7.3 upgrade; it looks as if I am going to lose which means deleting member's data and that is never a good thing.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 28 May 2016

Another one just to close off this topic, on the bottom of Page Builder I see:

http://prntscr.com/b9p1en

What does this do?

Thanks.

Quote · 29 May 2016

Just what it means....   It's supposed to reset all other pages in the site to that size so you don't have to go around change them one by one.  I have found this to be hit and miss.  sometimes it works some times it don't.  

I run a query in the db to set the size of all pages to the same width... 

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 29 May 2016

And what would that query be?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MichelMeta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need to learn more about MySQL and PHP programming.

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 29 May 2016

And what would that query be?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MichelMeta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need to learn more about MySQL and PHP programming.

Hi Check this out.

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow." @ www.dexpertz.net
Quote · 29 May 2016

Thanks. With 7.3 it's all 1440px at the top of page builder, and 1226px at the bottom.

Is this correct? or should it be 1440px at the bottom also?

Just what it means....   It's supposed to reset all other pages in the site to that size so you don't have to go around change them one by one.  I have found this to be hit and miss.  sometimes it works some times it don't. 

Quote · 29 May 2016

Deano had a small function in one of his modules that allowed you to set the width for all pages - with one setting, in one place. We need that back.

caredesign.net
Quote · 29 May 2016

Thanks. With 7.3 it's all 1440px at the top of page builder, and 1226px at the bottom.

Is this correct? or should it be 1440px at the bottom also?

Neither of those are actually correct for dolphin 7.3 defaults.  The actual width that all are normally set to is 1140px. Both top and bottom.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 29 May 2016

Hi Deano. Your contribution is much appreciated, yes you are correct. I did a default test install and 1140px is the default for 7.3.

In the top sizing I meant to say above 1140px (1440px was a typo) but the bottom 1226px, no idea where that came from, it was there I guess from 7.2.1 days.

I will get through and make sure they are all set as per defaults.

Thanks again.

Quote · 29 May 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.