What's the purpose of Orgs?

Do orgs work similar to groups? Who can create orgs? I am logged in and don't see any option.

Facebook, Twitter & Instagram Combo - http://bit.ly/1h5CarP
Quote · 23 Jul 2014

What are you referring to ? Dolphin does not have any feature called 'orgs'.

Paypal email is jeromemingo@gmail.com - http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/modzzz
Quote · 23 Jul 2014

Organizations. Think of it like a profile for a company. It's basically a re-tooling of the included profile module. More of an example.

@modzzz: Check the forum! Tongue Out

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 23 Jul 2014

Organizations. Think of it like a profile for a company. It's basically a re-tooling of the included profile module. More of an example.

@modzzz: Check the forum! Tongue Out

Thanks Nathan, so there's a profile and org both for the same purpose? I think this might confuse end-users

Quote · 23 Jul 2014

Thanks Nathan, so there's a profile and org both for the same purpose? I think this might confuse end-users

Well, one's for people, the other's for organizations. But it's more of an example to show how you can re-tool existing modules (if I remember Andrew/Alex correctly).

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 23 Jul 2014

Well, one's for people, the other's for organizations. But it's more of an example to show how you can re-tool existing modules (if I remember Andrew/Alex correctly).

Okay, but how to create an org or add more people to it?

On a side note, I think 'org' is a very enterprise-centric term and might scare normal consumers but that's just me :D

Quote · 23 Jul 2014

Okay, but how to create an org or add more people to it?

On a side note, I think 'org' is a very enterprise-centric term and might scare normal consumers but that's just me :D

Go to your account settings, => Switch Profile, and click the Switch Profile block's menu. Once the module's installed, there'll be a new link for Create Organization.

Quote · 23 Jul 2014

Yes, as Nathan noted, Organizations is just a sample "profile-module". We've cloned "Persons" module to test and show developers how the multiple-profile feature works and how you can create your own "profile-modules". 

This is actually a very big and important new feature of Dolphin U - one account may have multiple profiles of different kinds. For example, I could have a person-profile "Andrew Boon" for official communication where I want to be identified; org-profile "BoonEx" where I wan to act as a company; and, for example, a celebrity-profile "MegaDancer" to communicate as my alter-ego celebrity wanna-be (this is completely made-up, I'm neither a celebrity, nor a dancer). :D.

User can switch between profiles and site webmaster can tweak settings on what is displayed on different kinds of profiles and what are their permissions, etc. Profiles switching is done via "Settings" page in member-menu (top-right). We'll be adding a more prominent switcher as well.

Now, developers  can create their own modules that would act like profiles. Surely there would be a good demand for those, since they basically set the theme for a site. For example you could make a "Professionals" profile-module that would have more professional-centric fields, like experience, expertise, availability, etc. instead of  gender, age, etc. Or, say, an "Artists" profile-module with focus on portfolio, style, accolades, etc. 

Profile switching is known to people because of the Facebook "pages" feature where you could switch to acting as a "page". Our implementation is a bit more liberal - one doesn't necessarily have to have a "Person" profile - the whole site could comprise just "Artists" for example.

You could also make a more wide-scoped profile-module, like Groups, Events or Pages. Something with moderators, admins, participants, etc. Current Orgs module is not like any of that - it's a simple dummy-clone, which we will be either retooling or removing from the final distribution altogether. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 24 Jul 2014

Thanks Andrew, this does sound very interesting and a powerful feature. 

Yes, Facebook page was the first thing that came to my mind after reading the first paragraph. Youtube has similar concept as well when you have multiple channels and it allows you to switch from one channel to another with the corresponding google+ profile name.

I will play with this feature more to understand it better. 

Quote · 24 Jul 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.