Albums - a nightmare...

Currently the Album feature is a real nightmare (I just tried Photos Album and already have headache...).

Possible and needed actions are: Add - Edit - Delete for both Album and contained Items - Move (to another Album) just for Items.

To do these 4 actions, there are 8 (maybe more) navigation submenu tabs (Main - Edit Album - Organize - Add Photos - Manage Photos - Disapdroved - Add (Album) - Manage (Albums)), 2 buttons (Add album - My albums) and 2 links (Click here to create a new album - Click here to add more) !!!

Tab Main and My albums button: same behavior; bye bye My albums button !

Link Click here to create a new album and Add album button: same behavior; by bye Add album button !

Tab Add (Album) and Add album button: same behavior; bye bye Add album button ! Oh... sorry... buton already gone !

Etc... etc...

Organize (the content of an album) just let you reverse the order of the photos... and only once. Using the reverse button a second time will have no effect....

Even with so many tabs and buttons, I was unable to figure how to move an item from an Album to another one... 

Why not just to use small icons under the Album (Edit - Delete - Organize) and Items thumbnails (Edit - Delete - Move) rather than so many menu tabs and buttons ???

Life is a fatal disease, sexually transmissible - Virginity is carcinogenic! Ask here for vaccine.
Quote · 22 Aug 2009

Completly agree. Too complicated.

Quote · 22 Aug 2009

Unfortunately we have to fix all these by ourselves with what this platform provides...

The whole user interface and logic needs serious rework :/

Quote · 22 Aug 2009

I agree. Albums are crappy and really confuse users. They are adding new albums thinking it's how to add video, photos, etc.

The only thing that albums will be good for is Sounds for bands to organize their music.

Other than that, the albums offer too many steps to simply upload a photo or video.

Quote · 22 Aug 2009

Perfect example of KISS, keep it simple stupid. More is sometimes not the best. I totally agree.

Quote · 23 Aug 2009

Hello MichelSwiss!

Problem with Organize button was added to tickets and fix:

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/998

Regard

Quote · 24 Aug 2009

Thank you Leonid :-)

I still hope that someone there will reconsider the whole Albums ergonomics (user interface)... I know that BoonEx team can do much better* ;-)

* here better means: more easy to use and not "we need to reinvent the whell with lot more options" :-))

Friendly, Michel

Life is a fatal disease, sexually transmissible - Virginity is carcinogenic! Ask here for vaccine.
Quote · 24 Aug 2009

Thank you Leonid :-)

I still hope that someone there will reconsider the whole Albums ergonomics (user interface)... I know that BoonEx team can do much better* ;-)

* here better means: more easy to use and not "we need to reinvent the whell with lot more options" :-))

Friendly, Michel

In the meantime, you can do an overhaul of your own be reorganizing the navigation menu and drop all albums. I actually dropped all albums, categories, tags, calendars(except for events), deleted the dashboard, migrated dashboard sub items under the "home" icon and reorganized all the links to make better sense.

Under the main menu though you can do this;

Builders >> Navigation Menu >> New Item = "Add Video" for members and guests url="modules/?r=videos/albums/my/add_objects/" quick link, and set image
lang modify "_bx_videos_access_denied" to "Please join or login to add videos"
Builders >> Navigation Menu >> New Item = "Add Photo" for members and guests url="modules/?r=photos/albums/my/add_objects/" quick link and set image
lang modify "_bx_photos_access_denied" to "Please join or login to add photos"
Builders >> Navigation Menu >> New Item = "Add Sounds" for members and guests url="modules/?r=sounds/albums/my/add_objects/" quick link and set image
lang modify "_bx_sounds_access_denied" to "Please join or login to add sounds"

Quote · 24 Aug 2009

And here we have Dolphin 7.1.4 and we still have this mess.

I just installed 7.1.4 and a user was confused  on how to simply add a photo to their profile photo album.  It is a mess, a mish-mash menu system that needs to be reworked.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 27 Sep 2013

In the meantime, you can do an overhaul of your own be reorganizing the navigation menu... 

That was right Tongue Out

A little bit more than 4 years... and still a so pitiful ergonomic for such basic feature like a photo gallery Laughing

Quote · 27 Sep 2013

Also 5 years on now (almost) and nothing has changed, ive a live site that moderators get confused by the sub-menus let alone the users.

All im looking to do is remove the "Upload" / "My Albums" and all the other buttons that come up on the right hand side looking very out of place. Sealed

Quote · 28 Apr 2014

Also 5 years on now (almost) and nothing has changed, ive a live site that moderators get confused by the sub-menus let alone the users.

All im looking to do is remove the "Upload" / "My Albums" and all the other buttons that come up on the right hand side looking very out of place. Sealed

Removing those buttons require a database edit; are you comfortable doing database edits?

Quote · 28 Apr 2014

I have never been satisfied with how the albums worked. Even the ones in the market are sadly lacking in performance. I gave up finding an efficient solution.

One of the things that really irritates me is the Album selector popup. Click add new photos from the main photo page and you are met with a drop down that does not show all my albums. I am forced to do it elsewhere or just create a new album instead of adding a pic to an existing album. Other issues including the entire page reloading with each image switch, Poorly designed image thumb displays, VERY SLOW and cumbersome operation, not available in the forum posts, etc etc etc etc etc..... and of course, lets not forget the ridiculous plan of dumping ALL the images into a single folder on the server.

stupid is as stupid does....

I mean really, come on already. This is 2014, not 1986.....

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 30 Apr 2014

RE:

One of the things that really irritates me is the Album selector popup. Click add new photos from the main photo page and you are met with a drop down that does not show all my albums. I am forced to do it elsewhere or just create a new album instead of adding a pic to an existing album.

Why would you be complaining about something like this, when it is obvious from your screen shot, that you cannot even be bothered to give albums a  name, but just accept the default name provided for you? 

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 30 Apr 2014

One of the things that really irritates me is the Album selector popup. Click add new photos from the main photo page and you are met with a drop down that does not show all my albums.

That has been fixed. It will be in dolphin 7.1.5

You can fix it now if you want. http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/changeset/17812

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 30 Apr 2014

Removing those buttons require a database edit; are you comfortable doing database edits?

Im happy with that, and its done from "sys_objects_actions" and remove the line 277 for the "uploads" button.

But i think thats a great way to upload new photos i just wont to edit what options the pop up box gives you, i dont feel the need to add a new album every time a new photo is added.  I can see it calls: [address]/inc/js/albums.js but where are the loading / form fields option coming from?

On the other side options 278 and 297 can be removed for the "my albums" options [i believe] 

Quote · 30 Apr 2014

The pop-up gives the options to either use an existing album or create a new one.  If you are seeing a lot of albums being created by your users with a single image then that would indicate confusion.  If that is the case, then the pop-up dialogue box needs rethinking of how it should work. I think it does default to creating a new album, perhaps it should default to the first album in the list and users that want to create a new album need to perform some other action.

Quote · 30 Apr 2014

RE:

One of the things that really irritates me is the Album selector popup. Click add new photos from the main photo page and you are met with a drop down that does not show all my albums. I am forced to do it elsewhere or just create a new album instead of adding a pic to an existing album.

Why would you be complaining about something like this, when it is obvious from your screen shot, that you cannot even be bothered to give albums a  name, but just accept the default name provided for you? 

LOL> I accept the default name because I'm lazy and I get tired of using the same name over and over again.... Why should I bother? I'm not going to be able to go to that folder again from this page once it gets pushed down out of the list.

This is one of the big reasons I don't spend a lot of time working on my site anymore. Instead, I keep watching for a completely new solution and one of these days, if Boonex doesn't get off their collective asses, I'm going to find it.

Quote · 30 Apr 2014

The pop-up gives the options to either use an existing album or create a new one.  If you are seeing a lot of albums being created by your users with a single image then that would indicate confusion.  If that is the case, then the pop-up dialogue box needs rethinking of how it should work. I think it does default to creating a new album, perhaps it should default to the first album in the list and users that want to create a new album need to perform some other action.

The entire page needs to be redesigned or just eliminated altogether. If a user can't click on the 'Upload" button and select one of his or her albums from a complete list, no matter how many they have, the page is useless.

I would like to see something like Google images built as a mod for dolphin. Of course, anyone that's going to try, please do it completely or don't waste our time.....

Quote · 30 Apr 2014

This would be great, any idea from where in the site that popup box comes from, that would be a great help.

Quote · 8 May 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.