Any trouble free upgrade 7.3.5 to 7.4.0

Greeting Dolphin fans,

I have tried two times not to upgrade according to my topic, with no luck.  

Would like to know if anyone has had a flawless upgrade?

Gary http://molosserdogs.com
Quote · 18 Mar 2019

No problems at all with a bunch of upgrades so far... 

Only issues are with 3rd party none dolphin modules... 

If you need some help let me know.

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 19 Mar 2019

Excellent! Thank you dolphin_jay.

I am happy to know that you have had no issues. I tried twice and failed.

Will get back to you on Private Message to arrange.

Gary http://molosserdogs.com
Quote · 19 Mar 2019

Why did they break 3rd party modules? what are the intentions?

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow." @ www.dexpertz.net
Quote · 19 Mar 2019

There were changes in the alert system for one.  Not sure why.  The big thing wanted was for Dolphin to be compatible with php 7.x because so many hosting companies were dropping php 5.6.  I don't know if all the changes made were all for php 7 or not.  As you know, Boonex is not very transparent on such things.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 19 Mar 2019

Hello Expertzkris!

We didn't break the 3rd party modules, we just released the version compatible with PHP 7. Here you may see the examples how to correct 3rd party code for the new version

https://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/Dolphin-7-4-has-been-released.htm

Quote · 19 Mar 2019

I am still at 7.3.5.

Is it necessary to change the settings from php 5 to 7 before upgrade?

Also, do we need to make any changes in third party modules regarding PHP? If so, how to do that?

Quote · 29 Apr 2019

I am still at 7.3.5.

Is it necessary to change the settings from php 5 to 7 before upgrade?

Also, do we need to make any changes in third party modules regarding PHP? If so, how to do that?

No, you can run 7.4.x without php 7; there is no need to change your php version unless you are running a 5.x version that is too low for 7.4.  For example, if you are running php 5.6.x, then Dolphin 7.4.x should run without issues.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 30 Apr 2019

Thank u 

Quote · 2 May 2019

You will want to make sure all of your 3'rd party modules are compatible with the version of dolphin your upgrading to. If not, then do not upgrade.

Your site will not work after the upgrade if the installed modules are not compatible with the new version of dolphin.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 2 May 2019

Thank you Deano.

This is possible reason.

Quote · 2 May 2019

I have tried upgrading from 7.3.5 to 7.4 following instructions.

when I am accessing website/upgrade 

I am getting a message like "cant be upgraded"  

But, surprisingly I am able to access admin panel, in which the website version is showing 7.4.

Everything is working fine except forums. Clicking forums showing some error.

I have followed remaining instructions of file changes associated with header.inc.php

Since the upgrade didn't went well, I have rolled back to 7.3.5.

Website's error_log contains:

[Sat Sep 14 21:10:20.228616 2019] [fcgid:warn] [pid xxxxxx] [client xxxxxxx] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning:  require_once(/var/www/vhosts/website.com/httpdocs/modules/boonex/forum/integrations/base/../../../../../inc/header.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/website.com/httpdocs/modules/boonex/forum/integrations/base/config.php on line 14

[Sat Sep 14 21:10:20.228666 2019] [fcgid:warn] [pid xxxxx] [client xxxxxxxx] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/var/www/vhosts/website.com/httpdocs/modules/boonex/forum/integrations/base/../../../../../inc/header.inc.php' (include_path='.:/opt/plesk/php/5.6/share/pear') in /var/www/vhosts/website.com/httpdocs/modules/boonex/forum/integrations/base/config.php on line 14

Some errors related to moxie classes

[Sat Sep 14 21:13:45.325044 2019] [fcgid:warn] [pid xxxx] [client xxxxxxx] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined method BxDolModule::BxDolModule() in /var/www/vhosts/website.com/httpdocs/modules/boonex/moxie/classes/BxMoxieModule.php on line 13

Quote · 15 Sep 2019

Hello 

The first 2 errors from your log may depend from the wrong server's settings - if both files are fine and locate in your server then you may try to  include_path as empty.

The last error from the list means that you run the Dolphin code in the wrong PHP version - usually similar errors can be watched if Dolphin 7.3.x and lower has been launched on PHP 7.x

Quote · 16 Sep 2019

regarding the first 2 errors just like @Leonidas mentioned, you have a problem with the path, server cannot find the location of the files that are specified by     require_once();   and because the files are explicitly required, if server cannot find them it specified location, that will always result in fatal PHP error. you probably need to find the correct path or try changing it until the error goes away,  following part of the path looks a bit suspicious...   /base/../../../../../inc/header.inc.ph    or you can try to comment out // or remove  the    require_once();

regarding the last error, if you running on PHP 5.6 then you may need to think about changing to PHP 7+ before upgrade to the latest Dolphin 7.4.x + and that may also require you to fix a few things manually depending on what modules you have before you start running on PHP 7.x +  ...the main thing is that you must check the code in the beginning of each php file and make sure the class begins with the __constructor() function needed for PHP 7+ make sure it does not have the old style, like this following example...

old style:

<?php

bx_import('BxDolFilesModule');

class BxFilesModule extends BxDolFilesModule
{
    /**
     * Constructor
     */
    function BxFilesModule($aModule)
    {
        parent::BxDolFilesModule($aModule);

new style with the __constrctor() function:

<?php

bx_import('BxDolFilesModule');

class BxFilesModule extends BxDolFilesModule
{
    /**
     * Constructor
     */
    function __construct($aModule)
    {
        parent::__construct($aModule);

also make sure to not require this file anywhere       Services_JSON.php

you must change it to the following         json_encode();

Quote · 17 Sep 2019

oh yeah and don't forget to check the request.php file in your modules... 

old style:

require_once(BX_DIRECTORY_PATH_INC . 'profiles.inc.php');

check_logged();

bx_import('BxDolRequest');

class BxMaintainRequest extends BxDolRequest {

function BxMaintainRequest() {
        parent::BxDolRequest();
    }

function processAsAction($aModule, &$aRequest, $sClass = "Module") {

new style

require_once(BX_DIRECTORY_PATH_INC . 'profiles.inc.php');

check_logged();

bx_import('BxDolRequest');

class BxMaintainRequest extends BxDolRequest {
    function __construct() {
        parent::__construct();  
    }  

public static function processAsAction($aModule, &$aRequest, $sClass = "Module") {

Quote · 17 Sep 2019

Yes I completely agree with you 100% @geekgirl  and unfortunately that is case, or rather the problem ... it can be very frustrating and hard for inexperienced users to solve the whole dolphin mystery, and no support and no updated documentation and no answers... on the bright side, it forces you to teach yourself how to code, but it requires a lot of time and effort to understand the entire dolphin system and structure, especially if you not have much experience programming and nobody to help answer your questions... support is basically non existent with the small exception @Leonidas who I guess has been tasked by the captain to spend a few minutes a month to just peek in and only reply with a line or two to the most desperate users/customers with major problems, have nothing to complain about @Leonidas but come on WTF do they seriously think that's enough, oh I forgot, the much needed AlexT also spends a few hours/days every 6 to 12 months updating a few lines of code.. really that is nothing, if they just could spend maybe 5-10% of the time focusing on Dolphin, that would be enough, but currently it's more like 0.001% of time and effort on Dolphin and 99.999% on UNA. they could not care less about Dolphin and that could so easily be fixed..

Luckily for me I understand the whole system by now and know how to create my own modules, implement almost any customization and combined Dolphin with other technologies and do whatever i need by myself but it has taken so much time and effort and thousands of hours reading every single line of code and database table over and over again. Would have been so much easier with just a little bit of guidance... 

it's not very nice, or actually it more like F#¤%king so irresponsible and ugly of the Captain to just abandon the ship and don't give damn about their obligations to paying customers!

There were changes in the alert system for one.  Not sure why.  The big thing wanted was for Dolphin to be compatible with php 7.x because so many hosting companies were dropping php 5.6.  I don't know if all the changes made were all for php 7 or not.  As you know, Boonex is not very transparent on such things.

Quote · 17 Sep 2019

why do they not just completely open source dolphin since they don't give a F and not care about it anymore.. maybe that could attract some more developers to help move the project forward and let us who actually care do what we can to contribute and improve / update / upgrade / plugins and code base to work with modern technologies.. I really like dolphin and currently do not have any interest in UNA think dolphin is much better but it need maintenance...

Yes I completely agree with you 100%  @geekgirl  unfortunately that is case, or rather the problem, it can be very frustrating and hard for inexperienced users to solve the whole dolphin mystery, and no support and no documentation and no answers... on the bright side, it forces you to teach yourself how to code, but it requires a lot of time and effort to understand the whole dolphin system especially if you not have much experience programming and nobody to help answer your questions...

it's not very nice, or actually it more like F#¤%king irresponsible and ugly of the Captain to just abandon the ship and don't give damn about their obligations to paying customers!

Quote · 17 Sep 2019

Thank you very much  and 

Quote · 18 Sep 2019

You will want to make sure all of your 3'rd party modules are compatible with the version of dolphin your upgrading to. If not, then do not upgrade.

Your site will not work after the upgrade if the installed modules are not compatible with the new version of dolphin.

Therein lies the problem with Dolphin upgrades; especially for those who invested in too many modules that are no longer maintained.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michel - Meta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 21 Nov 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.