The future of Chat - part 2

Quote · 15 Jan 2014

The very definition of what Chat is exactly is getting more and more blurry. Major social networks offer different takes on group discussions - either extending their Messenger or their Mailbox features. Some sites still focus on old-style IRC-like dedicated chat, with rooms, moderators, etc. 

I don't think the definition of what Chat is exactly, is getting more and more blurry and people are just causing confusion.

Chat, to me, is a (moderated) room where people (for whatever reason) meet. The other "chat" I refer to as Instant Messaging (IM). Now we have two different things, with its own definition.

To know what is expected of any decent chat, have a look at 123flashchat or flashcoms. It will give you plenty of ideas for new options and looks.

With regards to IM, this is where a lot of improvements can be made. I see IM as a way of communicating with friends and family (or others). Therefore we should set the person wanting to communicate central in  all of this. Meaning looking at how this person can communicate with others.

People can communicate with another person or in a team/group. They can use their voice, expression or type. If they type, they can do that using IM or (e)mail. Since voice and video can't yet be converted to written text and written text as a spoken messages is also not yet within reach, I leave those out of the equation for now.

This leaves us with mail and IM. I think these two functions should be integrated. It should not matter if i send someone a mail or an IM. Behind it should be one central storage, with the IM function as the default. This means I can always contact someone directly without having to worry if this person is actually online or not. It also should give you the option to include more than one person. Like mentioned before, people also communicate in teams and groups. Something other than the "known" chat option is not available to accommodate these needs and is much needed.

To sum it up:

1) Messaging system to replace IM and mail

2) If person is offline, the message gets stored like mail and if Person is online, it works like IM, but message still get stored like mail (history).

3) Option to invite other people to the conversation

There is much more that can be done, but I think this will make a good start!

Dedicated servers for as little as $32 (28 euro) - See http://denre.com for more information
Quote · 15 Jan 2014

RE: "It's one of the next big features on the table "

Are you kidding me?  I may as well jerk the plug on all my Dolphin websites, if you are going to waste development time on a practically useless form of communication.  You should spend more time on issues that serious users of Dolphin are facing, and I am pretty sure chat isn't one of them.

Excuse me, while I go load up Microsoft Bob on my computer.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 15 Jan 2014

You should spend more time on issues that serious users of Dolphin are facing

Could you explain more HL? I know you might have said it a while back but refresh please.

You haven't been around in so long and said much.

Yes we all know you hate the chat and what your thoughts or thoughts on what you think chatters do.

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 15 Jan 2014

"There has been a 107increase in text message use in the USA in the past year"

And Chat is, essentially a kind of "power-messenger". It is a relic only in its old, IRC-like form. People still use Skype a lot, Google Hangouts, FB Messenger (with multiuser capabilities) and Apple Messages is picking up. It's a comfortably healthy development zone - just need to figure it out right.

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 16 Jan 2014

just need to figure it out right.

Please take your time... 

Just like FB, as Denre states in his points...

1) Messaging system to replace IM and mail

2) If person is offline, the message gets stored like mail and if Person is online, it works like IM, but message still get stored like mail (history).

3) Option to invite other people to the conversation

Quote · 16 Jan 2014

RE:

And Chat is, essentially a kind of "power-messenger". It is a relic only in its old, IRC-like form. People still use Skype a lot, Google Hangouts, FB Messenger (with multiuser capabilities) and Apple Messages is picking up. It's a comfortably healthy development zone - just need to figure it out right.

Maybe you can make it just like "Google Wave".

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 18 Jan 2014

I want to know what Caltrade thinks of chat.  I say it's all but useless, except for use on deviant sex sites. 

Quote · 18 Jan 2014

well, I think the future of chat software lies in simplicity, feasibility and its powerfulness.

As a developer for 123 Flash Chat, we are always trying for this; HTML Chat client and mobile chat app will be definitely popular : http://www.123flashchat.com/chat-software-development

Quote · 29 Apr 2014

The chat system must also base on sending Pics or Trade Photo. Nowadays; people don't waste time just texting anymore. they  are Looking for a chat system where they can show some skin, learn to be a freak or show their beauty of the honey of their honeycomb.

Therefore; We have to give them what they are seeking for.

Quote · 29 Apr 2014

flash Chat in it's old state is dead.

Create a new type of chat like whatApp functionality that is current.

In Europe you see that the people don't chat anymore unless HL said (sex or dating sites)
If you wanna reach the masses you need to come up with a chat module that is Mac and win compatible.

Also... kill the flash chat mod that is old and there are better ways to build.it.

Quote · 29 Apr 2014

If you wanna reach the masses you need to come up with a chat module that is Mac and win compatible.I have to agree 100%

My site ranks in the top ten constantly for "flash chat" and I am running your chat now for 2 years almost with no one liking it. It's "childish" looking and the video broadcasting section sucks.

I'm to the point when I return, I'm going to remove 123 chat and install the Dolphin version, especially since they are going to start the re vamp. 

Quote · 30 Apr 2014

Nonsense.... What does a chat room have over text messaging that makes it more powerful? Text messaging cannot be compared to a web chat room by any stretch of the imagination unless you're going to carry your PC with you everywhere you go. I have a chat room, it literally never gets opened.

Of course, if there was a usable chat interface in the mobile ap, maybe, just maybe someone would use it.... Of course, the mobile evowall works just as well as chat, already if not better....

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 30 Apr 2014

Let's revisit this briefly.  WebRTC is probably here to stay, and whatever A/V chat system implemented in Dolphin, should be based on this technology.  Have a look a https://talky.io/

What appeals to me greatly about this technology, is the real time screen sharing, without using any browser plugins.  I can work on an Autocad drawing, Seismic Cross Section, Electrical diagram, absolutely anything.... and share the program window with others in real time.  Years ago, companies spent huge sums of money on video conferencing systems that didn't even have this capability. 

A Dolphin chat module with screen/window sharing capabilities would instantly transform Dolphin into a viable business networking platform.  I care nothing about chat rooms as we all know them... by now you all know what my opinion of traditional A/V/text chat is.  P2P screen sharing however, is a collaboration tool with a world of possibilities.

I'm not sure if it's possible immediately, but transmitting a mobile phones GPS data over the WebRTC data channel to a Dolphin module that tracks and records your position on a google map would make for a really cool web application.

Quote · 1 Nov 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.